Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

KDFWR Bass Assessment

Following is a link to a bass assessment that KDFWR performed...Judging by what they're showing on the chart they provided it "appears" to me like the general conditions of bass in Kentucky are looking good. They don't give an assessment report for any certain lake, all they're giving are overall assessments for lakes over 1000 acres and under 1000 acres. Check it out and see what you all think...

http://fw.ky.gov/bassassessment.asp?...h=C101C552C579

Post Thanks / Like

RE: KDFWR Bass Assessment

Too complicated (I can't make heads or tails from it) and far too generalized. I know we are all interested to see how it's going overall in our state, but most want to see a breakdown lake by lake. For instance if Barren's performing poorly in the surveys I can get over there and help plant some structure, or volunteer for restoration projects. I can't do the same for say Yatesville, it's 5+ hours away.

I know there's bound to be a large volume of data from electrofishing surveys, and it's probably pretty difficult to share that info fairly in an easily understandable matter. But it could be done.

I've attended meetings and worked with the KDFWR before. Mr. Kinman and his staff are dedicated and effective at managing our fisheries. Those guys care. It is an extremely difficult job, and as we all know you will NEVER make everyone happy.

It is worth noting that often KDFWR's hands are tied, as they are ultimately reponsible to policticians. In the past there have been grabs at the KDFWR's money, and a few years ago we anglers (those who cared enough to make the effort) only barely stopped a program initiated out of Bowling Green that would have allowed commercial fishing in five of our public lakes.

IMHO, and I'll take some heat for this, the number one problem the KDFWR has is angler apathy. We are quick to complain and fight amongst ourselves, but there just ain't that many that'll get off their butts and do anything to help when it's needed. The politicians are the KDFWR's bosses, and we are supposed to be the politicians' bosses. I wish to heck we'd act like it.

Off my soapbox for now. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: KDFWR Bass Assessment

Too complicated? Yes for me it is...Too far generalized? Yes again, for me it is. I just wanted to throw it out there and see what the publics general opinion of it was, in hopes of me maybe learning something from it...I'm assuming it would take more time for the KDFWR to compile a lake-by-lake assessment...Thanks for your input.