Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tackle Storage & Organization

Any one have ideals on Keeping an organized tackle system in your boat, or what to keep in the boat to do away with alot of stuff that ends up never being used. All the baits seem to be good, and just hard to not have just incase I want to use it I'll have it. I've sorted and organized and still seems to be overwhelmed with lures and soft plastics. What works for you guys?

God Bless...

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Tackle Storage & Organization

I know what you are dealing with as I myself carry more baits than I can use and do not want to leave any home because I may need them.I fish with my son so this allows me to have a wide selection of baits with me without cluttering the boat with tackle storage bags and also do not have to load/unload the boat after fishing.First I have a Stratos boat with storage in front for 6 plano #3700 boxes. In between these boxes there is room for 5 plano #3600. Also in one storage compartment beside the livewell I purchased from bass pro a utility box caddy that holds 6 additional plano #3700 boxes. In the #3700 boxes I have some cranks along with a wide variety of soft plastics that I like to use. In the #3600 boxes I keep odd plastic baits. On my rod box and front storage cover I use a tackle storage system that reminds me of a potato chip rack to keep my lizards and tubes on because these are the things I use the most and can get to easily. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

My boat is equipped with slots for 8 3700's in front and 6 more in the rear....ALL of which are full of lures that I don't use and probably never will;-) However, if you don't have the built-in system, my favorite is the tacklebag that holds the 3700/3600 type boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

At this time I am working on down sizing. I've went from having my soft plastics sorted by type and color in reinforced "hefty" on-zip bags with a three hole punch. I stored them in large 3 ring binders, but this lasted a whole 2 weeks before it became very awkard. I'm working on getting everything in bait boxes. I have a triton and have the tackle storage system also. I Have 3 compartments designed to hold tackle trays, but we (My Dad and I) dont like having to get under the person feet in the back to get to the trys there. I'm slowying working to see if this everything in tackle trys idea I had is really going to work. Thanks for the idea, I may be looking into it. Thanks again

God Bless

Post Thanks / Like

After recounting my trays that I have taken out of my boat for the winter, I realize that I have 8 large (#3700) trays in front and 6 in the back. I put the most used baits in the front and least used in the back. These baits may get moved to front or back depending on which lake we are going to, as I prepare the tackle before going on a fishing trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get the storage system pieces that are the clips(potato chip rack) I have been looking for those?

Post Thanks / Like

A lot has been mentioned about having baits that you never use, and either getting rid of them, or should you get rid of them.

Well, I was fishing Rough River with Darrell, and we just weren't getting bit. I too have a lot of tackle I never use. I pulled a crankbait out and thought, hey why not try this.... not catching anything on my other baits... and WAM!! I started catching them with regularity.

This taught me that perhaps the baits I don't use often should be used or at least tried, especially on tough fishing days.

Good luck everyone.

Tight lines and God Bless

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I put all plastics in ziplocks,combine 2 or 3 bags of the same stuff and put them it a soft side cooler.Then in a drywell.

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I did a google search and found some at easyviewtackle.com. I may give them a try as well.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like we all have the same problem; we all want a complete bait shop in our boat. Well this year I decided to change all that. I went to the boat shed brought all the stuff to my room off the garage and started paring down what I carry in the boat. I use to have plastic Plano for grubs one for tubes one for finesse worms etc. etc. I have set up tackle for my next trip to Bull Shoals by combining my favorite two or three tubes, grubs, hula grubs into one box. I then added finesse worms six inch worms lizards French fries etc into one box. I have a smaller falcon box for cranks which I have jerks, warts, lipless etc. in one box. I have a box for hooks, weights, jigs, spoons, silver buddy, little George etc. Then I have a small duffle bag with a few seasonal (forty or so) soft plastics.

In my car I will have two milk cartons full of Plano’s for back up along with a container with extra plastics. If they are on hula grubs I can take my hula grub box and put it in the boat. I will change seasonally or by lake my mixed boxes that I keep in the boat. I have paired down to about four or five boxes and one small duffle

I have given this a lot of thought and I think this will probably last about 15 seconds then I will go to the car get the two milk cartons bring them to the boat and promptly displace them through out storage areas. Then I will feel comfortable. If you are on the lake and need any tackle look me up. I should be back to full service by then.

Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy who has 30 of tackle storge boxes in his boat! He has them all labeled and completely did away with this plastic bags his soft plastics came in. It's amazing! He has no lost time digging through bags of plastics anymore!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the information guys.. its start. I'm working on getting everything in the tackle tray systems at this time. I'm thinking of using my dry storage opposite of my rod locker for storing some of the more used boxes. I'm sorting by type and color mostly. I'm going to use a bar and somem guides to hold the boxes in the general area of the locker. I hope it works.

God Bless