Search Fishin.com

Thread: Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Shelbyville

Crappie are starting to turn on and LM Bass fishing has been good to excellent. Walleye are shallow and I saw two this weekend over 4 pounds caught in Sand Creek allong the roadbed. White Bass have been running a bit small as have the Crappie but this is all about to change.

I am putting together a petition for the state to study the viablity of Strippers in Shelbyville. I think they would be an excellent addition. We have a growing shad population and the whites are doing there jobs but it's just not enough. I think Strippers would help out a great deal.

John

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Shelbyville

Let me know if I can help with the petition

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think it's a good idea too? Not just to help with the shad population because that can come and go as we have seen in the past but also as a fantastic sport fish. I think we could attract an additinal million or more dollars into this community each year with the addition of stripped bass or hybrid srippers. I know at one time Lake Trout were introduced and of course did not survive and a plan was in place for small mouth bass that died in committee. We have some but very few small mouth bass in Shelbyville and I'm willing to bet not a single trout survived the shallow water. Hybrid or stripers would thrive in Shelbyville. Not that Shelbyville is lacking in veriety with Whites, Crappie, Bass, Bluegill, Catfish, Walley and Musky but one more great sport fish never hurt a thing.

jph

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not any where smart enough to know what adding Stripper/Hybrid would do to the fish population. I'd really like to see the fishing getting back to what it was in the late 80's/early 90's. Maybe my catching skills have declined but sure seems a lot more difficult to get a good mess of crappie or even the bass.

Check out the website
    www.jandjhabitat.com
    they have some real good looking artificial cover. Know that several have been purchased by fishing organizations and placed in a power plant lake. There have been several reports on another discussion board about the 'crappie tree' producing well.

Have you talked with Mike Mounce the area fisheries biologist? He seems to be on the side of the angler dealing with the COE.

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

I have spoken to a few biologist I know at Lake Land College where I teach and they don't know enough to analyze the lake and the impact of Hybrid's or Strippers but seem to think that a lake of the size of Shelbyville and the forage could sustain a population without much impact.

I have fished Shelbyville for over 20 years and I have found the crappie fishing to be better over the past five years than the first five years. Bass fishing has been about the same with the exception of big fish which today is better. Walleye fishing no question was better in the 70's and 80's but I base than on pictures and hearsay. I have only fished for walleye on Shelby for the past few years since becoming a guide. Frankly I consider it boring for the most part. Musky or Muskie as some correctly spell it is by far better now than it ever has been in the history of the lake if you go buy tournament standards.

The question I have with Hybrid or Strippers is the sustainability of bait fish which can be significantly impacted by a hard freeze which we have not had in great lengths for several years. IF the ice were to be a foot to two feet deep for a month or better what would that do to the shad population and could the lake sustain another wolf type predator fish in great numbers. My professional opinion is an emphatic "I have no clue." I'd love to speak to a professional in this area that would know and would testify at a House hearing to present testimony of this nature. Would Mike do that, and is he qualified to? If so I would love to talk to him. I know when the lakes leading guide Don Satterfield was asked to testify about the 10 inch 10 fish limit he was told the states position was there were no enough 7 to 9 inch crappie in Lake Shelbyville to sustain a growing crappie population. At the same time he and I were catching 7 to 9 inch crappie 10 to one compared to larger or smaller fish. Don asked the lakes Core of Engineers "expert" to go out with him so that Don could show him where to shock fish to see that there were more than enough small crappie to maintain the 9 inch 25 fish limit the state declined the offer. I think to this day we are suffering from the bureaucracy making the rules and ignoring the real professionals like Don. To this day we have a plethora of small crappie. It's a hard call to make but I think the state should employ experts like Don and possibly myself and others to show the part time employees who only shock pre determined "hot spot" locations where the fish are.

John