September inshore/nearshore fishing report for Jacksonville and St. Augustine area waters

I have to apologize for not posting a report in August, however, I was in Nova Scotia, Canada, fly fishing for Atlantic salmon most of the month and didn't have first hand knowledge of the fishing scene here. Since my return, I have been concentrating on tarpon along our coast.

This time of year the tarpon are thick in our waters from Fernandina to Matanzas Inlet. One day last week we probably saw several hundred tarpon crashing large pogie pods off the beach. Another day they were feeding on a mullet run caused by the passing of "Ernesto". This is close quarters, exciting fishing with fish averaging 80 to 100lbs, with some well over that. One morning I caught and released three and jumped two others before 10:00 AM. Another day my customers jumped ten tarpon, catching two, and fighting a third large fish for an hour and a half before breaking the line. Other days the bait pods disappear and the fishing technique changes to the time tested "chum line"drifting using shrimp boat bycatch or pogies. These fish pull hard, put on a great show, and test both the angler and his tackle.

Sharing the spotlight with the tarpon, are the "bull" redfish.They are entering the area inlets and rivers and moving along the coasts gorging as they go in anticipation of the fall spawn. Good baits include pogies, blue crabs, mullet, cut ladyfish, croakers, etc. Use heavy enough tackle to subdue the fish quickly for a healthy release.

Speckled trout should be taking top water lures in Mill Cove, Guano Lake, and the ICW. This is also a prime time to target flounder around jetty rocks, docks, and other structure in the rivers. Finger mullet, small pogies, mud minnows, and artificials will all produce. I like the lower halves of the tide for flounder. There will also be opportunities this month to fish high "spring" tides for redfish in the grass.

Yesterday, I saw a large school of jumbo jack crevalle circling on the surface in about 30' of water off Fort George Inlet. These fish were in the 15-30lb range with some possibly larger. Spanish mackeral are also plentiful near the coast feasting on glass minnows and pogies.

Good fishing!

CAPT Bob

Captain Bob's Fishing Charters,Inc.
http://www.captainbobsfishingcharters.com