Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

sizing of your avatar

Hey guys; How do you get your avatar(picture) the size it is??? Me and my son-in-law played with the picture that I decided to use of me up at dale hollow last winter from a picture out of my kodak picture album and we never could get it no bigger than what you see which ain't much. A person would go blind trying to figure out what that thing is. We would go larger and would get a message that it was to large to fit and would have to reduce it down. I have seen alot of them on here lately with people changing them from time to time and they look good and big enought to see. Thanks for your help...283

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: sizing of your avatar

hey you're having better luck than me,at least you're working on the avatar,i just now got where i can post,and i started 3 days ago,i'm going to bed now.

trash-changed name Guest

Re: sizing of your avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tnstratos283 View Post
    Hey guys; How do you get your avatar(picture) the size it is??? Me and my son-in-law played with the picture that I decided to use of me up at dale hollow last winter from a picture out of my kodak picture album and we never could get it no bigger than what you see which ain't much. A person would go blind trying to figure out what that thing is. We would go larger and would get a message that it was to large to fit and would have to reduce it down. I have seen alot of them on here lately with people changing them from time to time and they look good and big enought to see. Thanks for your help...283
    In a photo editing program you have to make it no larger than the size below. Then it will upload.

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 9.8 KB (whichever is smaller).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    In a photo editing program you have to make it no larger than the size below. Then it will upload.

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 9.8 KB (whichever is smaller).
    There must be some meta data that's attached to these photos. I tried to re-size one in photoshop (which I know decently well) and it was basically impossible to get it down to 9.8KB. If the picture was just a speck on the screen, it was still larger than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishrgurl View Post
    There must be some meta data that's attached to these photos. I tried to re-size one in photoshop (which I know decently well) and it was basically impossible to get it down to 9.8KB. If the picture was just a speck on the screen, it was still larger than that.
    I finally figured it out. I took the original JPG to a PDF and then imported it back into Photoshop. I cropped it and re-sized down to 80 pixels and then saved it in .PNG format which saved about 30% smaller than the .JPG. It was still a bit too big (file size) so I had to take it down to 74 pixels and that did the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that complicated--(if you have done it before)

Quote Originally Posted by fishrgurl View Post
    I finally figured it out. I took the original JPG to a PDF and then imported it back into Photoshop. I cropped it and re-sized down to 80 pixels and then saved it in .PNG format which saved about 30% smaller than the .JPG. It was still a bit too big (file size) so I had to take it down to 74 pixels and that did the trick.
    -Crop photo.
    -Resize to 80 pixels wide. (the longer of the height or width must be no more than 8o pixels )
    -Save or export as jpg. Most programs allow you to see how the photo looks with different amounts of compression and the size. An 80 x 80 photo should be way below 10K in size.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not that complicated--(if you have done it before)

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    -Crop photo.
    -Resize to 80 pixels wide. (the longer of the height or width must be no more than 8o pixels )
    -Save or export as jpg. Most programs allow you to see how the photo looks with different amounts of compression and the size. An 80 x 80 photo should be way below 10K in size.
    My 80x70 photo at 72dpi was still around 18K at "Medium" compression until I jumped through the hoops I mentioned above. Heck, I even took it down to approximately 50x43 and it was still around 12 or 14K.

(I've been to a 2-Day seminar on the use of Photoshop, so I'm not a newbie with this - that's why I mentioned the Meta Data and took it through PDF format)

It looks as if the .PNG format is a little smaller and is still accepted by the program.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not that complicated--(if you have done it before)

I don't know. I just took a photo reduced it to 80 pixels wide and saved as .jpg. At no compression it was 6.4k and ad 63% compression it was 1.6 k. I haven't been to any seminars on photo shop, however I would like to. I'm still using ver 6 so maybe that is why I have hever heard of meta data in regards to photo shop.

Try file>save for web
    You should be able to use a slider to see the effects of compression in real time.

Any how, we both have our avatars up although mine is a little goofy.

Happy fishing.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I finally did it. yessssss It ain't the same picture of me on the lake, but I like it. Thanks all...283

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: sizing of your avatar

Check two more things. File type and Color Depth. Color depth can add to the memory size of any picture. Try 256 bit color depth and see if it will upload. The file type should be jpeg. I think! Maybe wrong on the file type. The avatars may use other file types too.

I use Paint Shop Pro 9 to resize my pictures or you can upload some photos to a photo saving server and then uses that server to resize the photos to get the size down to where it will upload into fishin.com's avatar thing.

I can't remember the name of the photo saving server place. Anyone else know what the name of that place is called? Sorry, Sometimes my memory goes south on names. I'll probably think of the name in a little while after I log out of here. Then I'll forget where this thread is located. hehe.. It's a bitch getting older.

OK I found the name quicker than I thought I would.

http://s49.photobucket.com

Sign up for an account in photobucket and you can upload your photos to their server. You get an photo album that's pass word protected. There are options in photo bucke's album that helps you resize your photos automatically. And you can just click on the lines below your photos and use that to paste your photos into other forums on the net. Photobucket is pretty simple to use if you understand a few things about digital photos.

Programs like adobe PhotoShop elements or CE can also be used but they are a little more complicated. But PhotoShop and programs like Corels Digital Editing software will allow you to do a lot more with your digital photos and pictures. But Photobucket will do a good job and that's really all you will need for this web site. 90 by 90 pixels is pretty small size when it's 256 color bit or black and white which is only 2 bit color depth.

When you save a picture to the fishin.com server it takes up space which Peter or the owner of fishin.com has to pay for. He also has to pay for the bandwidth to upload our photos. But if you save your picture to the Photobucket Web site's server you can just point to that link in your fishing.com posts and the photo can show up on the fishin.com post.

I'll look into this more as there are a lot of educational pictures that I would like to share.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 10-01-2007 at 09:19 AM.