Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunk Boards?

Post Thanks / Like

Bunk Boards?

Need new bunk boards on trailer. Stratos 295 if that matters. Live in LaGrange any suggestions on anyone that does this or where to take it. greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Bunk Boards?

Try it yourself and save some money. Get the pressure treated wood at Lowes and get precut carpet at the local boat dealer and get some stainless staples. Prepare the new bunks with carpet, holes and hardware at the house, take the boat to the lake and once you unload it go back to the parking lot and change the bunks. Should be pretty quick. My buddy did his that way and i did the same. Actually my boat is so light i used a floor jack in the garage on mine. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bunk Boards?

I have been told these are great, check them out.
    http://www.bunkaps.com/

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Bunk Boards?

Have you used those? They look as if you could slide your boat off the trailer pretty easy. I would be concerned about relearning when to remove the bow strap from the front though since old habits are hard to break.

Post Thanks / Like

If you choose to do it yourself, instead of using treated lumber, look at a product called Trex. You can get it at lowes in the lumber section. It is used in building decks and is of a vinyl or plastic material. As sturdy as wood, but will last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck yeah, if you've got everything ready for teh swap. it shouldn't take no more than about 30 minutes to change out the old Bunk Boards with the new ones. have all the holes pre-drilled if you can or do it with a cordless drill at the ramp. Why spend extra money by having a dealer do something so easy to do yourself. IMHO...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input.

Post Thanks / Like

A guy in London did mine at a reasonable rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Doin it yourself will save ya some good fishin money. The Trex are high but worth it, never rot. But treated is good just dont last as long as Trex. There is another brand out now thats a lil cheaper but i cant think of it. I think Lowes has it as well. It is a very simple job to do.

Post Thanks / Like

No I haven't but when I do need to replace mine I will use them. You screw them into your wooden bunks instead of using carpet. They kinda felt like foam rubber, but more sturdy. Guy at American Boat and Yacht told me it would help prevent the boat sitting on the wet carpet and getting blisters in the hull which has happend to me before. If you have a way of lifting your boat off of your trailer, you will see what I am talking about. But you would never see them while the boat is sitting on the trailer. Anyway, you see those bunkaps on a lot off river docks (Barkley and Ky Lake) around here where the coat is lifted out of the water.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro has pre-cut carpet for bunk replacement. If I were you, I'd take a look there and see what they've got.

Post Thanks / Like

Stratos, if you live in Lagrange you can try brace D. down at the boat doctor in westport... not sure if he'll be cheap though...222-0043