Search Fishin.com

Thread: Bunk Boards?

Post Thanks / Like

Bunk Boards?

Need new bunk boards on trailer, Stratos295. Any suggestions on where to take it or someone that does this type of work greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bunk Boards?

I recently had to do the same thing except for a Nitro. Went several places, but no one carries bunks longer than 5 or 6 feet. Everywhere we went, we were told to make them ourselves.

They turned out to be pretty simple to make. About a 10' piece of treated 2x4, some marine carpet/badding from BassPro, a bit of marine glue, some stainless staples, and lag bolts because we lost some of ours.

Post Thanks / Like

As JBryant says, they are easy to make. Use the old ones as a pattern. I just took Dad's boat to the lake, unloaded it and installed the new ones in the parking lot. Cut them to length at home. I would add two things: Staple only on the side away from the boat, and give them a coat of sealer before installing to get a little more life out of them.

Cookeville, Tennessee, God Bless America.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good tip on the sealer and stainless steel staples; also use pressure treated 2x4s ....... also try not to completely cover the 2x4 on its underside to allow it to drain and dry out better...... tight lines

Post Thanks / Like

You might consider 2 x 6's. Just a thought. My boat is 17' and 2000 lbs fully loaded with trailer and everything and was advised to use 2 x 6's.

If you can, through bolt them. Takes a little more time but will last longer. I didn't and know I will wish I had. Just counter sink them sone on the top side.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a carriage bolt and mount it thru with some sealer under the square shoulder and smack it with a hammer to set it in wood. then cover it with your carpet. , better yet, wrap the top and sides in plastic first to keep water off the tops of bunk where air can't circulate. Use anti-sieze on nuts and it should last long time.