Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Fish Finder Question

I was thinking the other day about fish finders, and thought up a fish finder that i'm not sure exists and i'm hoping somebody can tell me if there is a such thing? I was wondering if there is a fish finder or like a transducer that hooks into a laptop computer, so your laptop is actually the display unit connected to a transducer through USB. Maybe even GPS too??? I dont know if there is something like that or not but if so I am very interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fish Finder Question

Not that I have ever seen I have been doing some serious internet surfing looking for the best bang for my buck and did not see anything like that,Joe

Post Thanks / Like

yea, i've done a little bit of researching and havnt seen anything like it either. but wouldnt it be nice if they did, transducer just plugs right into the computer, you'd have a nice big screen, it would deff be powerful... but oh well

Post Thanks / Like

GPS, yes, via a NMEA 0183 interface, but I think its just a slave display, you still need to have GPS Antennae or a special unit to recieve signals from Satelite.
    Fishfinder or Sonar, not that I know of. It could be done, with a special interface card in order to transmit/receive RF signals as well as process and drive a display. You won't be saving any money getting all the interfacing parts integrated, the demand just isn't there, plus for the market to take hold, the the notebook computer would have to be shock and vibration resistant to be suitable for shipboard use. The saltwater community would be more advanced in this area I'd suppose.