Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Trout stocking moved up due to lake drawdown

Trout Stockings Moved Up
    February 15, 2007 Contact: Lee McClellan
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 1-800-852-0942, ext.330
    KDFWR

Frankfort, Ky. – The fisheries division of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources is stocking trout early because of concerns about trout production being hampered at Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery due to the drawdown of Lake Cumberland.
    “This is strictly a precautionary measure,” said Benjy Kinman, director of fisheries for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife. “We anticipate water quality and water quantity issues due to the drawdown of Lake Cumberland. We want anglers to enjoy these fish instead of potentially losing them at the hatchery.”
    The hatchery draws its water from the dam at Lake Cumberland. Because the lake is being maintained 43 feet below normal summer pool this year while repairs are being made to Wolf Creek Dam, the volume of water going into the hatchery has been reduced significantly. Spring trout stockings have been advanced two months to help ensure the health of the trout remaining in the hatchery.
    Over 286,000 rainbow trout and 67,000 brown trout will be stocked by the end of March. Fisheries officials will stock roughly 112,000 trout this week in Laurel River Lake, followed by stockings of 20,000 trout in the Cumberland River next week.
    “These two stockings will significantly reduce the total number of trout currently held at Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery,” Buynak said. “The Laurel River Lake stockings are normally scheduled stockings, but the Cumberland River stockings are what we normally stock in the month of April.”
    To help reduce pounds of trout in the hatchery, officials plan to begin stocking trout that are one inch smaller than normal. This reduction in size will not be noticed until April and the numbers of trout stocked will not change.
    It is undetermined which lakes or streams will be stocked after the Cumberland River stockings are completed. A tentative stocking schedule will be posted on the internet at fw.ky.gov. Click on the “Fishing” tab, then the “Stocking” tab. “There may be changes to this schedule depending on weather related conditions at the stocking site such as ice cover,” Buynak said. “We will post those changes.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trout stocking moved up due to lake drawdown

do you know if they actually stocked the trout in Laurel this week? Thinking about giving it a shot on Sunday, just to get some action.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter. I was wondering how the hatchery would do with the low water. I was hoping they could keep the stocking schedule, but it does'nt sound too good. I fish the Nolin tailwater and Roundstone creek, but I may have to change my plans. Oh well, we do what we have to.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandguy1 View Post
    do you know if they actually stocked the trout in Laurel this week? Thinking about giving it a shot on Sunday, just to get some action.
    Went to Laurel last Sat. and Monday. Stocking truck was there both days. I launched at High Top ramp.