Ernest Holzman in 1876 gave the first demonstration on long distance casting. In Asbury Park in 1909, William Rice won the first long distance competion at 305 feet. In 1938, August Livenais set a world record of 660 feet. This year Danny Moeskops of Belgium set a world record of 839 feet. This April I plan to surf fish the Cape Hatteras area of on the Outer Banks. I plan to fish with and watch some of best surf casters in the world. Surf fishing has it's own techniqnes, equipment, gear and terminal tackle. April is the time of year when 50 to 60 lb red drum, striper and blue's start their migration up the cost. Twelve foot rods, with large capacity reels are equipment of choice. Some of the things I am packing are: 20 to 50 lb mono, shock leaders, breakaway sinkers (4-6 oz), circle hooks, super glue, rod spikes, and lures (red fins, mambo minnows, Smokey Joes, school bus bombers, spoons, cranks and jigs), and thrownet. You must have basic knowledge on how to: read surf structure; tie the shock leader knot, the snell, blood knot and Albright knot; how to cast the pendulum cast; know when and how to use fresh baits...leaches, eels, blood worms, menhaden shad, squid, shrimp and mullet. You will need waders and raingear and be able to adapt to changing conditions. I am just making the point that there are many ways, areas, techniques to fishing. Through the years I have enjoyed learning the many ways to catch fish, especially catching the big ones. It looks like it want be long until ice-out...spring will not be long.