Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Long Distance Casting

Ernest Holzman in 1876 gave the first demonstration on long distance casting. In Asbury Park in 1909, William Rice won the first long distance competion at 305 feet. In 1938, August Livenais set a world record of 660 feet. This year Danny Moeskops of Belgium set a world record of 839 feet. This April I plan to surf fish the Cape Hatteras area of on the Outer Banks. I plan to fish with and watch some of best surf casters in the world. Surf fishing has it's own techniqnes, equipment, gear and terminal tackle. April is the time of year when 50 to 60 lb red drum, striper and blue's start their migration up the cost. Twelve foot rods, with large capacity reels are equipment of choice. Some of the things I am packing are: 20 to 50 lb mono, shock leaders, breakaway sinkers (4-6 oz), circle hooks, super glue, rod spikes, and lures (red fins, mambo minnows, Smokey Joes, school bus bombers, spoons, cranks and jigs), and thrownet. You must have basic knowledge on how to: read surf structure; tie the shock leader knot, the snell, blood knot and Albright knot; how to cast the pendulum cast; know when and how to use fresh baits...leaches, eels, blood worms, menhaden shad, squid, shrimp and mullet. You will need waders and raingear and be able to adapt to changing conditions. I am just making the point that there are many ways, areas, techniques to fishing. Through the years I have enjoyed learning the many ways to catch fish, especially catching the big ones. It looks like it want be long until ice-out...spring will not be long.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long Distance Casting

Yup, surf fishing is a blast. Casting a plug into the middle of a school of blues moving along the shoreline is one of my fondest fishing memories. I grew up in Delaware, where we'd catch flounder, blues, and sea trout (aka weakfish) out of the surf. We never had quite the success that they have in Hatteras, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention a guy by the name of Lou McEachern threw a sinker over the Houston Astrodome. I saw another guy throw a 4 oz sinker through my friend's windsheild. I also heard a pro say to a beginner that he needed a 1/4 mile around him to be safe while learning. I would say that might be good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched guys use kayaks to take baits out on the Buxton point at Hatteras. That is a whole different fishing experience watching those guys on the Point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    Yup, surf fishing is a blast. Casting a plug into the middle of a school of blues moving along the shoreline is one of my fondest fishing memories. ....
    Definitely a blast catching large bluefish! Been hitting Rhode Island and Cape Cod the last three falls for blues and stripers. Good fun!

Andrew