Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum Boat Help

Well seems over the last two years the rivets in my 94 bass tracker have started to loosen and are letting in a little water. I have tried to patch a few but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know of a place I can take it to have it repaired?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum Boat Help

trade it in on the new triton vt 17...it's all welded and no wood to rot. owned 2 bass trackers in the past...triton is head and shoulders above them.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope... my next boat will be a Ranger 188VS. Can't get under a Triton console without spending a lot of money for the high end stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try using J.B. Weld on it? That stuff works wonders on loose rivets! It's what keeps my old duck boat afloat!

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy had the same problem, nothing seemed to help, so he took it and had rhino linning sprayed on it, and has not had a leak since. Pretty expensive to have done, i think around $1,000.00.

Post Thanks / Like

Art I've tried the jb weld up to this point. It doesn't hold all that long so I wanted something more permanent.

I've heard those liners might do the trick I'll check it out. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Why are you people suggesting that he band aid repair it.

Dude, call around to any boat repair shop, they will drill out and replace the rivets for you no problem. You can also buy the gear and do it yourself very easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckdroppings View Post
    Well seems over the last two years the rivets in my 94 bass tracker have started to loosen and are letting in a little water. I have tried to patch a few but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know of a place I can take it to have it repaired?
    Call me if you like. I have been through this many times.
    peter maloney 502-584-5512

I can't type that much info.

Post Thanks / Like

JB weld will work is your rivet head has broken off. Or you can weld the hole shut. I'd recommend welding the hole shut first and if you can't do that then try cleaning the hole with HCL acid (Muriatic acid) and then flushing the hole out with lots of water and then dry it thoroughly. Then try some of the JB Weld. Don't mess with the quick set JB weld but instead us the regular JB Weld. Let it dry for 24 hours. '

Once you apply the JB Weld you can't weld the metal unless you can get the JB weld off COMPLETELY. And that's a hard job. JB weld is tough stuff.

You might want to apply it in layers. Apply a thin layer the first day and then the next day ad another layer and build the layers up over a week or so. Also wait until it's warm and dry before you start this job. Unless you have a nice warm dry and heated garage to work in.

To take out the old rivets and install a new rivet wouldn't you have to remove the interior parts of the boat to get to the back side of the rivet hole? I was under the assumption that you had to have access to both sided of the boat to install a new rivet? But maybe that is not the case? If you can put a new rivet in from just the outside part of the boat then go for that if at all possible.

I have a 1978 Fishermarine Flat Bottom Bass boat that has three rivet heads missing. They just broke off leaving a small 1/4" diameter hole in the bottom of my boat. I had two of these holes welded shut. The third hole was plugged with JB weld back in 1990. And that hole is still JB Welded shut to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Call me if you like. I have been through this many times.
    peter maloney 502-584-5512

I can't type that much info.