Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

How much to tip a guide?

Do you tip a fishing guide? and if so how much ? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much to tip a guide?

use the search this thread button it was just discussed a short while ago. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Never having hired a guide myself, I was interested in this, too. I typed your question into a Google search, and it yielded some interesting results. It seems that the answer is a definite Yes. Apparently, it follows the same general standard as most service industries. Tipping 20% or more shows you were very happy with the service; 10% or less shows that you're not satisfied, but you realize you should leave something. A nice tip might get you some extra consideration next time, or maybe they'll make an effort to work you in "if something comes open." Leaving no tip probably means they won't accept your reservation the next time.

How about you guys that have hired guides before? Would you say this is about right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonian88 View Post
    Do you tip a fishing guide? and if so how much ? thanks
    It was discussed a while back and there is a big thread on it some where. I have taken a few guide trips over the past couple of years. My best advise is to tell the guide what you want to do and what you are trying to get out of the guide trip before you even show up at the ramp the moring of. If you want to catch fish and you don't care about the size then tell him. If you only want to target giant fish and don't care if you skunk then tell him. If you want to learn a specific technique or to fish a certain lure then tell him. If he goes above and beyond to try to make your trip exactly what you wanted then 20% is certainly not out of the question. I learned more about KY Lake in the 2 trips that I took with Dave Stewart than I would have learned in several years if ever. I told him in advance what I wanted to get out of the trip and he did all he could to do that. Some people expect to catch a 100 fish on a guide trip every day out and that is just not the case for it is FISHING not CATCHING. I learned enough stuff from Dave about KY that I have caught several 100 fish out of Ky that I would not have caught otherwise without his knowledge. If the guide does not try to teach you what you want to learn or if he puts in at the ramp and drops the trolling motor and never leaves the marina and you land a couple of 12" fish and you feel he did not give his best effort to teach you or put you on fish then don't tip him one red cent. Some guide trips and I would be very few guide trips turn into 100 fish days (Bass catching that is) in the year. I am sure there are some but the more you can learn from the guide to bring back to the lake trip after trip will make it more valuable than that 100 fish day anyway. Good Luck in your trip and remeber tipping is based on the service given just like any waiter or waitress would get.