Search Fishin.com

Thread: Patoka lake

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka lake

Is all the Ice melted at Patoka yet? Water Temps? or Website with current conditions.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Patoka lake

im not sure but im going to run down there this evening and ill let you know i am 1.6 miles from little patoka. it should be getting close i have seen several boats headed home this week on my way home from work.

Post Thanks / Like

I called the DNR office yesterday and they said there are quite a few ramps open but still a little ice on the lake so be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report about the ice conditions. Looks like it's going to be ready to fish in a few more days. We should be getting a lot of rain this week.

The lake is up above summer pool last time I checked the COE web site. Summer pool is 536 and I think the lake was above 538ft if my memory is right. Normally this time of the year they drop the lake down to 532 ft but it's rained some much this last year that they have not been able to get the lake down to winter pool of 532. So all the submerged treetops that stick out above the water when the lake is at winter pool will not be just a few feet below the surface and hard to see.

At times I wish that the COE had removed more of the trees or should I say FOREST in the lake basin before the lake was filled up. There is so many trees that the fish have the advantage and have more place to hide.

quote=indylux;288723]I called the DNR office yesterday and they said there are quite a few ramps open but still a little ice on the lake so be careful.[/quote]

Post Thanks / Like

I am headed there Saturday to start preparing for a tournament on March 11th.

Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend there was still ice in most of the creeks and the protected bays. The main lake was more or less open. The only ramps I was able to use were Newton Stewart North and Lick Fork. The non-frozen water was 38 degrees. I would guess with the warm weather and the rain, most of the ice is gone. The biggest thing to watch for is ice that has broken free and is floating. If you see a flock of gulls sitting out in the middle of the lake and you can still see their feet, you better start slowing down.

Post Thanks / Like

We have had relatively warm rains this week and high winds down here in the very Southern tip of IN. Hopefully these warmer days (upper 50's and low 60's) will melt that ice.

The gulls often land on the edge of the ice and feed on dead shad that are trapped in the ice or that floated after the ice melted.

I am curious to ask Mike @ Boggs if they had a good shad kill this winter. Patoka lake could use a good gizzard shad kill also.

Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    Last weekend there was still ice in most of the creeks and the protected bays. The main lake was more or less open. The only ramps I was able to use were Newton Stewart North and Lick Fork. The non-frozen water was 38 degrees. I would guess with the warm weather and the rain, most of the ice is gone. The biggest thing to watch for is ice that has broken free and is floating. If you see a flock of gulls sitting out in the middle of the lake and you can still see their feet, you better start slowing down.

Post Thanks / Like

At least so far I haven't seen a lot of dead shad. I have seen a few doing the death spiral on the surface, but not like in years past when the bank was covered with dead shad after the ice melted. Also interesting is that the few dead ones I have seen have been small ones like 3 to 4 inches.