Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Finesse Baitcaster

I apologize in advance foe the long email but please bear with me.

I am thinking about setting up a finesse baitcaster to throw 6# line and (hopefully) down to 1/8 lures. I am leaning towards a thin diameter mono line with a flouro leader for now but please comment on these choices.

The rod I am looking at is the 6'6" lightweight casting rod from TravelRods
    Cast 6.6x3 Light 6 feet 6 inches 3pc. 4-8 lb. 1/8-3/8 oz. FAST action $245 ($275 with titanium guides)
    http://www.travelrods.com/product/CAST66A

The reel is a big question. I need a left-hand retrieve. I really want to steer clear of magnesium for durability reasons.

I was thinking of a Daiwa Sol baitcaster at 7.4 oz. Howver, on paper it is rated for 12# line.

Another choice is a Shimano Curado CU201DHSV which is rated down to 8# line so it could probably throw 6# with practice but the Shimano is 9.8 oz alone. Maybe it will not balance properly on the light rod.

In the magnesium category there is the Shimano Chronarch Mg, also rated for 12# line. It is magnesium but it is coated. If this is the only choice I would not cry since it is a fine reel but as I said before I don't want to worry about scratching the finish while backpacking.

I am in the market for a rig between $450 and $550. It must be a traveling rig and lightweight in actual weight. no more than 30" taken down. Preferably no more than 12 oz. real and rod combined weight.

Has anyone set up a rig like this? What are your suggestions, especially for choice of reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finesse Baitcaster

I can't help you with recommendations, but as far as reel goes, I wanted to let you know that I frequently use 6 lb line for my little crankbaits for spring. I use an old garcia XLT, which is a piece of crap compared to whats available today. It does have magnetic and friction dual spool control and you need to set it just right to spool off with light baits without much operator effort and minimization of over-runs. I use this with a 5.5 foot pistol grip medium action rod.
    I don't believe a reel is limited to how low you can go with line size, but you'll just use a ton of line spooling up, unless you use some cheap line for backing and join it carefully to the 6 lb using a blood knot. Good Luck. I'm from the KY board but was nosing around here to see if anythings going. Doesn't seem too busy over here. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an Abu Garcia Torno matched on a Quantum KVD 6'4 ml rod for my finesse/light cranks and love it. I was casting 1/8 shaky heads all day yesterday in the wind with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro SHops prolite finesse. It was one of my first baitcasters and still casts like a dream. Real durable and real smooth.