Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad things to good people...

I posted a few months ago this same heading in regards to my Sister's husband getting diagnosed with Cancer. I find out yesterday that after all the Chemo treatments in Lexington and the Experimental treatments that were done at Vanderbilt University by the FDA that he now has less than 2 weeks to live. Really stinks to see a good Father, Husband and Provider get taken from this world at 37 years old. To leave my sister a widow and their 2 sons, both under the age of 12, without their Dad makes me question so many things about life in general. For those of you that do believe in the "So Called" man upstairs and on the SLIM chance that he even exists, I ask that you pray for my Sister, her 2 boys and my Brother-In Laws family to help them get thru this. I ask this on their behalf and not mine because my Sister asked me to have all that I know pray for them. I see the amount of prayer and hope that was put forth by them and their families that went un-answered and it stinks. Many here know my relationship with "Him" does not exist and the wedge had gotten deeper and deeper due to this and all that I have went thru with my surgeries the past few years. I know my Brother In Law and Sister are good people, church going people, good living people that don't deserve to go thru this. I would like to think that I am a fairly decent human being that loves my wife and 3 kids more than any other man on this planet could love his wife and kids but have went thru what I have had to the past several years. Certainly makes me wonder why Bad things happen to good people and that Religion and Church is the biggest CON going. Maybe Church and Religion gives people hope and that helps them thru, Maybe people think there is such a better life eternally after the short life we live on earth and that gets them thru, but me, I as far away from that as one human being can be. To go from being baptized in 1990, serve communion, give communion meditations, help with sunday school, vacation bible school, spend numerous hours at the church to help thru the week to where I am at 17 years later in my "belief" or lack there of I should say.

This may not be the correct forum to type this but I think I have gotten to know many of you on a personal level. My wife and I talked for over a hour last night and she is so far on the opposite end of the spectrum as I am that she wonders how we ever got together. She says she can only hope that one day I will take the same drive, determination and passion that I have for other things in life and put that towards the man upstairs. Me, I don't see that happening for I don't see any reason to and it is just a waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bad things to good people...

I will send up a prayer for your Brother-in-law, sister and two sons. This is a most difficult time to face. Will Also send up one for you as well.

God Bless

BigB

Post Thanks / Like

Elnut I sure hate to hear this. I know you have been through a lot. I for one do not go to church, I use to but I found most of the Church goers to be hypocrites. I still believe someone greater than man created all this we live in. Every time I go fishing and watch the sunrise or see something equally awe inspiring I think there is a creator. If my faith was tested as much as yours I don’t know where I would be. I think you have every right to your opinion and I will pray for your brother in law and his family. I also pray for your complete recovery.

I also have said many times why does he take all the good folks and not the drug pushers etc. I know things are at a low point in your life but hang in there Elnut you have a lot of friends to lean on.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not answering this to judge or condemn you,I have asked the same question about my own cancer. As much as we love our familys we must realize some will leave us early in life,some later.We cant change this,However we must prepare for this within our selves.
    No one wants to give them up but if they have made things right we are only selfish to ask they stay with us.

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I went through the same things with my Mother and Father, both passing of cancer withing two years of each other, I and many others prayed, but to no avial. I to have those same feelings sometimes, and work with a Baptist Preacher, I asked him basically the same thing you are asking now, and my respose was "without suffering, there would be no compassion", could not believe that was the best he could come up with. My thoughts and hopes are with you and your family.

Post Thanks / Like

I will pray for your family Elnut and for you. Elnut, if your gonna blame God for all the bad things then you've got to give him credit for all the good things. You're wife and 3 kids are a blessing. You are able to type, read, and even breathe. Those are all things you can be thankful for.
    We ALL go through trials and tribulations through life, some more than others.
    Only through God's guidance can we face these trials and be stronger from them.
    One inevitable thing that we must all face at some point and time is death. Hopefully, your brother-n-law is saved and ready to meet the Lord. I pray that he's asked God for forgiveness for his sins, we have all sinned and fall short of the grace of God. But through the blood of Jesus, all our sins can be forgiven and we will spend eternity with him..in heaven. I pray that he is saved..your family will be with him again someday..in heaven.
    Thoughts and prayers for you and your family Elnut. You will remember this someday and I will tell you that everything will be OK, in time. We'll see you on the water soon.
    Tim
    bassmaster

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know any of you all personally...but I will definitely keep your family in my prayers each and everyday. Please remember God has a purpose in everything that occurs. We may not see it right now...but hindsight is always 20/20. Begin to look to the blessings he has bestowed upon you and your family. I pray that you and others will be convicted to find your way back to church. Church IS for Hippocrites!!! If not, we would be in a perfect world. We are all sinners...Christians are just Forgiven!! My thoughts and prayers are with you Elnut!!

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Religion and Church is the biggest CON going.
    Elnut, I'm a born again Christian, and I think you're right.

Many people get caught up in the Religion and Church trap and never understand that what *saves* us - actually *saves* us - isn't the Religion we do, or the Church we go to, but our faith relationship with Christ.

Why do bad things happen to good people? In reality, because none of us are truly "good." I know, if I knew you, and you knew me, we'd probably both say "that's a pretty good guy."

God, though, has a different standard than we do (thankfully!). Romans 3:10 says "There is none righteous, no, not one." You and I, we don't steal, sell drugs, take advantage of little children or old people, but we still were both born with our sin nature.

The only way to get rid of that sin nature is replace it with Christ's. And, unlike what some TRUE religious con men say, once you do that all your troubles don't go away, you don't escape sickness, you don't become a millionaire overnight. Instead, when those troubles come into your life, you have Christ's power, his nature, his strength to deal with them.

How do I know? I've seen it. One of my heroes is a woman I've known for years. Talk about what you and I would consider a "good" person! I've never known anyone who cares more for other people, gives more, or is more willing to inconvenience herself for the sake of others. Back in December she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and after some initial promising reports, things aren't looking too good right now.

Know what she told me a little while ago? How "exciting" and "what a blessing" this process had been. She talked about how she had become closer to her family, watched her husband wait on her hand and foot, and developed new relationships with friends.

She hasn't been conned, and she isn't being kept going by false hope. She's an example of what I can only hope to be someday.

Elnut, it's okay to be mad at God. I believe he'd rather have us mad at Him, and *talking* to Him, than living out our lives in a day-to-day fog. Just take some time, in between the shouting, to listen. He might just speak.

Your sister is right to ask for prayer. I promise to do my part.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you Elnut... to me, you're born, you live, you die, you rot in the ground... that's just my take (you got but one life to live! So live it up!). But nonetheless, I will pray (as I have for others) for your family. Who knows... I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time!), and if I am and it helps even a little to pray, then I say it's worth it! Praying don't take much than a heart anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

"Just take some time, in between the shouting, to listen. He might just speak."

...man, that gave me goosebumps. I don't think anyone could say it any better than that.

Post Thanks / Like

As insensitive as this may sound at first, please remember that we are put here to Glorify God. Not the other way around. If we look for God to save us from reality, then we are looking to him for our benefit, and not his. We need to remember that life is as hollow as you make it sound if there is no other purpose for us here than to eat, sleep, and die. Praise him in the best and toughest of times.

God tests us through our success and failure. We should always try to glorify him even when it seems senseless to do so. That is where faith comes in.

Elnut, I believe that if you sincerely pray to Him, you will get it. I will pray for you and your family through this tough time.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel; my brother died last July from exposure to chemicals and bombs while in Iraq. I stood beside him and prayed for God to heal him. I went through times when I felt as if I were looking into the blackest darkness and couldn't see anything; I cried out and it seemed as if God wasn't listening; I moaned in grief and it was if He didn't care; I reached out to God but couldn't touch Him. It was as if the heavens had turned to brass. I had to leave my brother overnight and before I left, he looked at me and three times he said, "I love you." Three times I said, "I love you, too, my Best Buddy." As I was driving the 100-mile trip, a horrible thunderstorm came up and I had to pull over to the side of the road. I was numb with grief and my brain seemed to be pounding. I screamed out, "Father, I cannot stand to see my brother suffering so horribly. I know you've heard every prayer I've prayed but You didn't answer so I know You want him with You. I'm asking You to stop his pain and suffering and give him rest according to YOUR WILL." The storm passed and I drove about another hour to my destination. When I arrived a message was waiting for me saying that my brother fell asleep and was gone." My Mother was inconsolable and lost the will to live. I called her and gave her a message that changed the way she looked at her son, my brother's, death. I said, "God said tell you He knows exactly how you feel; His Son died too." God didn't answer Jesus' prayer before His death, either. Jesus prayed, "Father, if it be Your will, let this cup pass from me," but He still had to die. I've never been angry at God for the decision He made to take my brother and, through it all, I know I can trust Him because He doesn't make mistakes. The hardest part is letting go and letting God do things His way. My brother cannot return to me but I can go to him and some day, I will.