Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

300 the movie... and today

I went to see the movie 300 tonite.
    I have to wonder if anyone there really understood that it was TRUE History, although Hollywood surely did dramatize it.
    The story is about King Leonidas of Sparta, who took 300 Spartan Soldiers to the pass at Thermopolae in Greece. Along with several hundred Acadians they held the pass until the Persians led by a traitor got behind them. The Acadians left the field of battle, but the Spartans by duty and honor would not retreat. They did battle with by some accounts over a million persians.. (Today that would be Iranians, who by the way still call themselves Persians.) of course they died, but in doing so bought time for Greeks to rally and defeat the army of Xerxes.

I wonder if the liberals in Hollywood and in the press understand what this movie really says.
    Democracy only stands when good men die for it. Democracy must be defended and good men will volunteer to fight the fight and the people must stand behind them.
    We stand at a crossroads as a nation.
    Will we defend freedom and democracy?
    Or will we ignore the legacy of King Leonidas and the 300... who we owe so much too?
    Truly, had Xerxes and his armies won in Greece, Democracy would have died there.
    Will we ignore the lessons of history and the lives of 300 souls who died for our freedom.
    Will we fail to renew freedom with our blood?
    How strange for Hollywood to make this movie at THIS time.
    Jim Dicken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 300 the movie... and today

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    I have to wonder if anyone there really understood that it was TRUE History, although Hollywood surely did dramatize it.
    The story is about King Leonidas of Sparta, who took 300 Spartan Soldiers to the pass at Thermopolae in Greece. Along with several hundred Acadians they held the pass until the Persians led by a traitor got behind them. The Acadians left the field of battle, but the Spartans by duty and honor would not retreat. They did battle with by some accounts over a million persians.. (Today that would be Iranians, who by the way still call themselves Persians.) of course they died, but in doing so bought time for Greeks to rally and defeat the army of Xerxes.

I wonder if the liberals in Hollywood and in the press understand what this movie really says.
    Democracy only stands when good men die for it. Democracy must be defended and good men will volunteer to fight the fight and the people must stand behind them.
    Or will we ignore the legacy of King Leonidas and the 300... who we owe so much too?
    Truly, had Xerxes and his armies won in Greece, Democracy would have died there.
    Will we ignore the lessons of history and the lives of 300 souls who died for our freedom.
    Jim Dicken
    That was a great movie, I enjoyed it very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Well written Jim, have you served in the military? The reason I ask is that I have and when I did I never really felt very patriotc I guess. The older I get the more I feel patriotic but still can't quite wrap my fingers around the whole war thing I must be missing something. I'm not trying to be argumentative just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I knew the story. The Iranians are now in an outrage over the portrayal of their ancestry in the movie. hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if it pi_ssed them off, that is good enough reason for me to see it, twice and buy a copy on DVD.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a liberal, I served, my dad was careeer, is there a l;esson here? You arch conservatives are what got this country into the mwess in Iraq! Did you actually think that a culture that dates back to the bible, would welcome us with wide open arms?Any country will fight occupiers, we could have learned that from afganistan, the russians learned the hard way, and i'm sorry to sday this, so will we. By the way, have a grandson over there now, he was back from afganistan 7 months, and they shipped him back to iraq.If coservative knew how to count, this guy wouldn't be in office! delete this you seem to do that with folks who disagree with you1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post

Jim Dicken

No Jim, I am sure you are the only educated person who saw the movie, and the only one who really knew the meaning.

Now me, instead of paying the rediculously high prices of a movie theater, I'll wait until it comes out for rental on DVD, or better yet, on one of the movie channels I subscribe to.

However, I do wish to thank you for your insights. Maybe next, you can give us a review of the new Fantastic Four movie.... and by the way, is that real? what about theoretically? Could it happen?

Us dumb fishermen just don't get this high eyebrowed stuff. LMAO

Nice review though Jim.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I'm a liberal, I served, my dad was careeer, is there a l;esson here? You arch conservatives are what got this country into the mwess in Iraq! Did you actually think that a culture that dates back to the bible, would welcome us with wide open arms?Any country will fight occupiers, we could have learned that from afganistan, the russians learned the hard way, and i'm sorry to sday this, so will we. By the way, have a grandson over there now, he was back from afganistan 7 months, and they shipped him back to iraq.If coservative knew how to count, this guy wouldn't be in office! delete this you seem to do that with folks who disagree with you1
    I do not delete posts that disagree with me.
    However, I did not expect the people of Iraq to welcome us with open arms, at least not all of them. I did expect a period of instability, due to the simple FACT that there are 2 different Islamic Fundamentalist sects in Iraq.
    However, going to Iraq was necessary.
    Sadam was looking for a way to attack this country. WMD or no WMD he was a danger. He had gotten CASH, literally TONS of cash thanks to Khofi Anan and his son who was funnelling Oil money back to Sadam. He could have purchased **** near an entire country with the cash he had on hand, not to mention small nukes or other WMD.
    YOU LIB's seem to forget that FDR failed to stop Germany early and we ended up losing 250,000 men in a war that we should have helped stop sooner. 20 Million died in a war that should not have occurred. We kept appeasing the dictators and they kept taking more territory and killing more people. You did not learn the lesson of WW2, and you did not take Ossama Bin Laden Seriously. Sadam HAD to go. He was another World War waiting to happen.
    Iraq will take years to fix, and it must be fixed, or Fundamentalist Wahabi Sect mullahs will spread this disease of hate and death across the world.
    I used to be a liberal, I used to believe that there was NOTHING worth dying for, that negotiation could solve any issue.. I WAS WRONG.
    You can not negotiate with terrorists who have no fear of dying.
    Iraq was part of the terror problem.
    IRAN is part of the terror problem.
    Syria is part of the terror problem.
    A free Iraq, with elections and democracy scares Iran.
    That is why Iran is subverting our efforts and supplying the terrorists in Iraq.
    We could just nuke them and pave it, but in the end we will not.
    I do not know the answer, but the war we are in was the right war at the right time.. It may not have been fought the best it could.. but WW2 had many disasters and we still won.
    Jim Dicken

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it was Reagan that failed to deal with Bin Laden when he needed to be dealt with...if he and Congress and had listened to Ollie North we wouldn't have had 911.

Iraq is the right war at the wrong time...if Bush's daddy had taken out Saddam when he had the chance we wouldn't have had to lose more troops and spend billions of dollars to go back and finish the job.

WWII was won by bombing both Germany and Japan into oblivion and in the case of Germany the Russians wholesale staughtered them upon occupation getting their attention real quick. Our victories in WWII were won by the overwhelming majority of this countries citizens united to do whatever it would take to win the war...this is not the case with this war or the wars in Viet Nam or Korea.

The only thing that will win in the Middle East is a wholesale bombing (does not have to be nukes) of the countries supporting terrorism..ie..Iran, Syria, Lebonan. We will not do this because our very existance is not yet felt to be threatened by these folks. We will do it once they set off a nuke here in the U.S. or worse unleash a holocaust caused by germ warfare. Sad but this country is not focused on the survival of freedom...all the flag waving and patriotic talk is great but until our leaders start putting the country ahead of their purses we will be mired up in this for years to come and more good american lives will be the cost.

On the other hand, these idiots over there are just stupid enough to try to oblivate Israel before we decide we have had enough...and that folks will be the end of them...and likely us too when the rest of the world gets involved and starts slinging nukes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    No Jim, I am sure you are the only educated person who saw the movie, and the only one who really knew the meaning.

Now me, instead of paying the rediculously high prices of a movie theater, I'll wait until it comes out for rental on DVD, or better yet, on one of the movie channels I subscribe to.

However, I do wish to thank you for your insights. Maybe next, you can give us a review of the new Fantastic Four movie.... and by the way, is that real? what about theoretically? Could it happen?

Us dumb fishermen just don't get this high eyebrowed stuff. LMAO

Nice review though Jim.

Danny
    Danny.. Get over it.. stop taking cheap shots. This is an off topic discussion forum.. Your still pissed at me and I am getting tired of every time I make a post you take a cheap shot. It was not a review but an observation concerning philosophy which appeared to be out of skew with Hollywood.
    You are irritating at best, at worst you are becoming a cyber stalker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    Actually it was Reagan that failed to deal with Bin Laden when he needed to be dealt with...if he and Congress and had listened to Ollie North we wouldn't have had 911.

Iraq is the right war at the wrong time...if Bush's daddy had taken out Saddam when he had the chance we wouldn't have had to lose more troops and spend billions of dollars to go back and finish the job.

WWII was won by bombing both Germany and Japan into oblivion and in the case of Germany the Russians wholesale staughtered them upon occupation getting their attention real quick. Our victories in WWII were won by the overwhelming majority of this countries citizens united to do whatever it would take to win the war...this is not the case with this war or the wars in Viet Nam or Korea.

The only thing that will win in the Middle East is a wholesale bombing (does not have to be nukes) of the countries supporting terrorism..ie..Iran, Syria, Lebonan. We will not do this because our very existance is not yet felt to be threatened by these folks. We will do it once they set off a nuke here in the U.S. or worse unleash a holocaust caused by germ warfare. Sad but this country is not focused on the survival of freedom...all the flag waving and patriotic talk is great but until our leaders start putting the country ahead of their purses we will be mired up in this for years to come and more good american lives will be the cost.

On the other hand, these idiots over there are just stupid enough to try to oblivate Israel before we decide we have had enough...and that folks will be the end of them...and likely us too when the rest of the world gets involved and starts slinging nukes.
    Dave:
    The idea that Ollie North was involved with Bin Laden is a myth. I listened to Ollie North himself state this on the Rush Limbaugh show.

Post Thanks / Like

Rush Limbaugh is the "myth"..lol Reguardless...it was Reagan that was in charge when the Marines died in Beriut.