Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Would a tournament make a good fund raiser

I have a question for you guys that know the ins and outs of tournaments:

The Lynn Baptist Association in Hart and Larue County has a partnership with a church and a missionary couple in West Africa. There are 10-13 of us going over there in October to help with construction, work in the schools, and spread the Gospel through bible school, workshops, and preaching crusades. The trip is very expensive and with private support, church support, associational support, and our personal bank accounts we are still going to come up short to send the whole team (instead of paying our individual way, we are pulling our resources together for the entire team). We are looking at doing different types of fund raisers.

I was wondering if a Saturday tournament would be a good way to raise money. I didn't know if by the time you advertised, paid the winners, ect if there would be much left. I was wondering what you guys thought.

Thanks and blessed fishin,
    jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would a tournament make a good fund raiser

It will work but ya have to draw a good crowd. Most charity tournaments the pay back is 80% so if ya dont have atleast 100 boats ya dont raise much. Then ya could also ask for donations at the weigh in. My partner and me awhile back won such a tournament and we took or expenses out of the winnings and gave the rest to the charity. Hope ya figure something out and get your ppl down there. I wil say a prayer for you and your group. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to raise money and have a good turn out get donations for the prize money. That away you can say the money is guaranteed and more people will fish.Then the entry fees are all yours to keep.
    Most local banks and organizations will contribute. Ask EVERYONE, you would be surprised who will give!!!!Also find someone to help who fishes alot. Nothing will kill a turn out faster than having your event the same day as another big tournament..
    Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of ways to get cheap or free advertising. Put flyers out on trucks at the local ramps. You can use local radio call in shows put flyers out in a tackle shop. Put it on the T board on here. I have fished some T's were guys tried to register that morning who were just wanting to go fishing and saw the chance to compete and got in. I hope this helps and good luck Ryan.