Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

My Cumberland Ramp Adventure....

I took my first trip to Cumberland today since the big draw down. I decided to put in at Halcomb's, it is my usual spot. I got down there a little late only to find that there was no parking places. Construction has taken most of the old parking lot and there was only room left for about 20 trucks with trailers. That lot was packed and some trucks were blocked in (sure hope they knew each other). So then I decide to go over to Jamestown, my first time over there. I had to wait while 4 other boats went in or out, then I got my turn. Ramp is a little narrow but it works, but I don't think I would want to try it in the dark. Then I had to park up on the hillside, walking down wasn't to bad but going up was a, well you know. This summer should be a real hoot, looks like a good time to explore some new lakes.

And no I didn't catch anything, Beaver Creek is as muddy as I've ever seen it. The water looks like coffee with cream after you pass through "buffalo ridge".....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Cumberland Ramp Adventure....

Yeah. there is not much parking at Halcombs and does not look like you can park on the road above. Maybe they will have a shuttle so you can park below the dam. There is tons of parking down there.

I was there Sunday and put in at 2pm and was fortunate to get the last parking place. If there is not some sort of shuttle there later in the year, you might as well not even count Halcombs as a boat ramp as there is very very limited parking.

Post Thanks / Like

Photo-halcombs limited parking

Photo showing limited parking. I think 12 of those spaces are needed for people that work on the dam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a 00701500.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	156  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Cumberland Ramp Adventure....

hi Robert:
    yes it is a long walk. we hope to start working on the ramps next week. or so the corp tells us. i have cones and yellow tape out to mark the good lane. sad to say someone keeps moving the cones. i will try to get a new yellow strip painted on each side of the ramp so you can back down and just watch the strip on the drivers side that should help backing down at night. this summer we will be running two taxi's for those who use the ramp . i am working on this it just takes time and getting the budget lol..
    sorry the catch was not that good.
    tony

Post Thanks / Like

Opposite from my Experience

It's funny, I've put in 3 times in the past 2 weeks at burnside. I've not had to wait, the ramp had plenty of room for 3 boats to launch at 1 time. The parking had 100+ cars and there was still plenty of parking, the water looked great.

And the walk up the hill was about 25 feet longer than normal, I think I'll survive an extra 25 feet of exercise each time I launch this summer.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Cumberland ramp experience

It's Funny?

I'll survive the extra 25 feet?

Matt, I'm not sure if you are saying that I'm not honest or just lazy.

But sometimes people can read too much into these posts and maybe I have, if so I apologize.

But, my description of the day I put in was correct (did you think I said Burnside?). And now that I have to drop my trailer everytime I won't be back. But that is OK, I know Jamestown is about tourist - not fishermen and I don't hold that against them. I recommend them for lunch, good burgers.

Anyway my Congratulations on your good fortune, perhaps Burnside is better. It is just on the wrong
    end of the Lake for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opposite from my Experience

Matt i am going down to burnside this weekend. did you have any luck. Bait, which creeks did you fish