Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The end of Tubby Time!

Cards fan primarily, but I love the Cats too. Just heard that Tubby's heading to the University of Minnesota.

Billy Donovan...where are you????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The end of Tubby Time!

I'm glad to see he's going. Personally I think he's one heck of a good man but personality doesn't win games. I really don't think Billy D is going to leave Florida. He's got to good of a thing going on there. The speculation is the Tom Crease(spelling), John Calipari and a few others. Sportscenter said that AD's all over the country are going to be looking at giving the coaches raises to keep them from going to KY. I thought that was hilarious. It's a good day though.

Post Thanks / Like

Tubby fan from day 1 and will always be. UK has never had a coach with as much class and dignity as him and never will. I sure hope Minnesota knows what the hell they are getting for UK never did give him his just due. Benedict Pitino NEVER would have won the title in 1998 for he could not have coached that team. Pitino shows his allegence by bolting to Boston one day after GUARANTEEING that he would be back. I even remember the sports broadcast where Pitino told Michael Bradley and his Dad the he would be there for all 4 years. Michael signs his letter of intent one day and Quick Rick bolts the next. Sutton left us in shambles, at least Tubby left with his head held high. Those wishing that Billy D will be coming here can keep on wishing. Billy D will be gettin PAID and you can bet that but it will be Florida paying him to keep him. Calipari would be here in 30 minutes but what has he EVER done or won I have always question his integrity and always will. For all of those wishing Tubby was gone, you now have your wish. For me, I think it ***** and will be the one laughing next season when we go 14-14, if that. We played the toughest schedule in the country this year for those that don't know, Florida, UCLA, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and North Carolina are all still alive and yes we did lose to them.

Kids now days don't care about tradition or what have you done lately. Kids care about what have you done today and what will you do tomorrow. As long as we continue to have an off campus arena with the entire lower section except for the "Eruption Zone", filled with 50 year old boosters that only get off their a$$ for the big games, we will not get the top recruits. Ask youself, do I go to UK with the old stogies rooting for me on the front row, or do I attend, Duke, UNC, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, or any other numerous universities with an on campus arena and all the cute honies and other crazies on the front row. If I am an 18 year old high school stud, I know exactly where I am not going. I am going to the College Environment that instills fun and excitement, not the University of Old Stogies that sit on the back row and bitch and gripe about everything. Uk fans in general are completely SPOILED. Rupp got players on tradition, Hall continued getting what he got off Rupps name, Sutton was an absolute moran that got out when it was good and left us in shambles, Pitino did an outstanding job of turning the program around and would have been an absolute LEGEND if he had any sense of morals and pride and stayed but his ego and checkbook got in the way, Tubby brought class and dignity to UK that will NEVER be matched. Its a shame that Tubby will always have that star next to his title that says, "Won with Pitino players" but Cameron Mills, Jeff Sheppard, Heshimu Evans, Scott Padgett, Wayne Turner, Allen Edwards, Nazr Mohammed, Jamaal Magloire, Steve masiello, Mryon Anthony, Michael Bradley, Ryan Hogan, Saul Smith, is what Tubby won with. It took Derek Anderson, Tony Delk, Allen Edwards, Anthony Epps, Walter McCarty, Ron Mercer, Cameron Mills, Nazr Mohammed, Mark Pope, Jared Prickett, Jeff Sheppard, Oliver Simmons, Wayne Turner, Antoine Walker, and Jason Lathren for Pitino to win it. Lets see 3 players on "Tubby's Team", Mohammed, Magloire, Sheppard and Padgett wer the only 4 that did anything in the pros and that was not much versus Anderson, Delk, McCarty, Mercer, Walker, Pope, Mohammed, Prickett (overseas), Sheppard (short stint for Hawks and overseas) are you kidding me. The 96 team would be a 20 point favorite over the 98 team.

Yea, I am one of the minority in that I am a white guy that has always loved and followed the big blue that thinks it ***** that Tubby is gone. Grass in not always greener on the other side of the fence and sometimes when it is, it is growing over a sceptic tank.

I am off my soapbox now and I have to sell all my big blue stuff and find out where I can get some Golden Gopher items.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree elnut,what's going to happen when when they find a coach to go 14-14 or less,n.i.t bid..The expectations to win the sec every year and go the final four every year are extreme.The nay sayers need to compare his wins and losses to the rest of the coaches and see where his percentage is.You can't expect any coach to have banner years every year,look at Duke and ucla and other top notch names even they fall short now and then.Hate to see him go but who could blame him with all the criticism.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is that if I were a UK fan, I would be very ashamed and embarassed right now. I think the expectations are ridiculous and UK basketball may very well find themselves in the same boat as Alabama football. As for 14-14 next season, I don't know but I truly hope they get what they deserve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    All I can say is that if I were a UK fan, I would be very ashamed and embarassed right now. I think the expectations are ridiculous and UK basketball may very well find themselves in the same boat as Alabama football. As for 14-14 next season, I don't know but I truly hope they get what they deserve.
    I am very embarrassed and think it is sad that the "SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE". Those that scream and yell the loudest usually get what they want. I am about as big a UK fan as you can find. I can even tell you the hometowns of most of the players past and present. Tubby's tenure, 1 National Title (Yes with Pitino Players - BLAH), 5 SEC titles, 5 SEC tourney titles, 3 Elite Eights, 3rd best winning percentage and 3rd most wins of any COACH in AMERICA since he came aboard behind Coach K and Jim Calhoun of UCONN and did it all with Class and Dignity. All I know is the boys in Minnesota are laughing their A$$ off at us Hicks from Kentucky and somewher they are asking themselves "What in the H--- where they thinking" My answer to that is ???????????????????????????????????

Now somebody tell me where I can get a copy of the Minnesota Golden Gopher fight song for my Ipod.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    As long as we continue to have an off campus arena with the entire lower section except for the "Eruption Zone", filled with 50 year old boosters that only get off their a$$ for the big games, we will not get the top recruits.
    This for me is UK's key problem. And I can't come up with a solution. No one is going to give up Grandpa Biff's season tickets.

Post Thanks / Like

Tubby is a good coach and good man, but he was never a good fit for Big Blue. I wanted Tubby as our next coach when Pitino left but I am glad to see him go. The program has been getting a little worse each year and the recruits have almost stopped coming, why? Its because his stlye of play, if you were a top recruit would you want to come to Ky. and play a style where your team struggles to score 60 points or go somewhere that you can run up and down the floor and have some fun playing ball. And why is it too much for Ky. fans to expect to go to a final four every 4 or 5 years? Ky. basketball is no different than Ohio St. football. They fired a coach that went to a bowl game every year but could not beat Michigan or a national title, now there new coach has one a tilte and lost in the BCS title game. Florida football fired Ron Zook after 2 years he went 16-8 and went to two bowl games but that was'nt good enough. Just like here at Ky. hes been here for ten years and has done an average job 6 of those years and a good job 4 of them, but next year was going to be worse than this year. Maybe some of the criticism was a little hard but when he took the job he knew what he was getting into, Ky is supposed to be one of the top programs in the country so lets get a coach that can get us back there. My vote personnally would be for Calipari he plays the fast pace style, he can recruit and he has already been to the NBA so hopefully he is done there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrChickyBaBa View Post
    And why is it too much for Ky. fans to expect to go to a final four every 4 or 5 years? Ky. basketball is no different than Ohio St. football. They fired a coach that went to a bowl game every year but could not beat Michigan or a national title, now there new coach has one a tilte and lost in the BCS title game. Florida football fired Ron Zook after 2 years he went 16-8 and went to two bowl games but that was'nt good enough.
    My vote personnally would be for Calipari he plays the fast pace style, he can recruit and he has already been to the NBA so hopefully he is done there.
    What birthright gave UK the hold on Final Fours. Forget tradition, that has no releveance in this day and age. If tradition mattered, than Louisaville would have been killed by Miami in football and waxed them in basketball. And yes, a Final Four in this day and age is much tougher than it was even 10 years ago.

Also, with UK's history of NCAA problems, the last coach you want is John Calipari. This guy is the next Jim Harrick, great coach, but filthy to the core. He is at the perfect institution in Memphis. He has been stripped of a Final Four and so has Memphis! UK does not need Johnny C.

Post Thanks / Like

I Really hate to see tubby gone and really hate the terms he left on. I would have at least liked to see him stick around a couple more years and try to make things right. He has had a lot of bad luck with recruits. One kid dies before ever getting to UK, Azibuki leaving early, Rhondo, Morris, the list goes on and on. As for next year I am afraid it will be tough for us and who will replace him? Calipari Good possibility, But Uof L fans look out you just may be the ones looking for a new coach in a few weeks, Don't think that Pitino has been forgotten about nor has he forgotten about the biggest mistake he ever made in his coaching career. Barnhart will sign him in a minute if he gets the chance and don't doubt it if the opportunity is offered Pitino will sign on the dotted line. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

As far at Tubby Ball, the last time I looked at this years tourney more games are won in the 60's versus the 90's. Defense is what wins when it comes push to shove and Tubby played defense. For me, 39 years of loyal dedication to UK just went up in flames for the way that MANY fans have treated Tubby. Full page ads in the paper, for sale signs in his yard, all the griping that you hear on the radio and tv for the past couple of years is enough for me. Tubby has more character and integrity in his little finger than Pitino and Calipari has in their bodies combined. Go get whomever you want, but as long as we don't have an on-campus stadium filled with pretty girls on the front row cheering during the games instead of Rupp and Grampa and Granny Smith sitting on their rockers, we will never be the powerhouse we once was. Kids now days don't give a **** about tradition for it is all about what can you do for me today and tomorrow, not yesterday. People say it is not about race but funny that Pitino had an on-campus arena all but built right before his ego and checkbook bolts for the Celtics and then the ground becomes a parking garage. Good for Minnesota for a man like Tubby DOES not deserve fair weathered fans like I have seen come crawling out of the closet more and more the past few years. Morris goes pro, Tubby goes to Minnesota, good luck to the next coach. 3-4 years of rebuilding and then what, these same fans will be on his a$$ for 3 years it too long to wait to win. Unless Jodi Meeks grows another foot, for he is head and shoulders the best player returing next year, I see a beautiful 14-14 campaign, no NCAA bid no NIT bid and let the games begin. It would be great to see Minnesota make the NCAA next year and Big Blue left out for the first time in forever. I move to Indiana 2 years ago and my office is nothing but UK Blue and White and I am ashamed and embarrassed. Any Golden Gopher fan out there with all kinds of memorabilia that does not like Tubby and would like to be a Big Blue fan, I will trade all my stuff even up. Go Golden Gophers

Post Thanks / Like

I for one am glad to see him go. Yes, he is very good man with a great personality and is great with x's and o's. On the other hand his recruiting, taken as a whole, is fairly poor. He coached for 4 years at Tulsa, with other peoples recruits. He coached for 2 years at Georgia with other peoples recruits. He won a national championship with Pitinos recruits. When he got the chance to play with players he recruited, the program went on a steady, downhill slide. Is recruiting all his fault? No. That is easy. Is he hiring Kentucky caliber coaches that might help him with recruiting. No. Look at his coaching staff. Talk about a Good Ol' Boy network. If you have not worked with or played for him in the past, forget getting a job with him.

In a nutshell, he can coach at the Kentucky level but that is all he can do and it takes a lot more than just x's and o's to be successful in the Bluegrass. I am not asking for a Final Four every year, but he is at the helm during the longest Final Four dry spell (9 years) in the history of the program since the NCAA championship tournament started and that is a problem. I wish him the best of luck and hope he does well, but the Kentucky basketball programs deserves more.

And for all of those folks that are talking about how younger people don't care about tradition and how it is a "what can you do for me" atmosphere, take a good look at yourselves and try to figure out who taught those values.