Search Fishin.com

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Marine Cd Install-wiring Question.

Bought a Dual MXD55 Cd player. Instructions say yellow hot wire is for memory and goes to constant 12 volt source. Got that. Goes on to say the red hot wire goes to ignition for on and off power. Don't want the hour meter running just to hear the stereo. Write to Dual and ask if I can take the red and yellow wire, splice together, then run to constant 12 volts. They say "Nope", if the red does not go to ignition, then has to go to a toggle for the unti to have on and off control. But the unit has a power button on it?!?!?!

So, does this mean the Cd units power button will only turn it on? Wrote to fractory again, and they just repeated to put the red wire to a toggel switch.

Any body know of have experience? Does power button only turn unit on, and will not turn it off, thereby making a toggle or ignition switch set up to save the main battery?

onemorecast56 Guest

Re: Marine Cd Install-wiring Question.

hey BOB,,,do it this way. Make you a main power switch,,,so that when you tirn it off it kills all but your memory power,,,,this way when you do get done at the end of the day and you hit the power switch it kills all th epower but your memory,,,but i don`t see way you can`t wire the yellow and red together,,,or run your red to a different hot wire,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Marine Cd Install-wiring Question.

This may sound weird but, I came across the same situation with my GPS just installed on my boat. I had to set up TWO toggle switches for the unit. one to power the unit itself and one to power the WAAS system of the GPS System. Seems the WAAS keeps running to keep the position verified and posted for immediate knowledge when you power on the actual GS unit. So I had to install the two toggle switches in order to power off the WAAS unit. If I didn't install the toggle switch for the WAAS, the WAAS running 24/7 would have drained the main battery or whichever battery you got it hooked up to.

This must be sort of the same thing you got going on with your CD memory program running 24/7.... Would just drain the power to your battery 24/7 I guess....

Seems weird but I did as the directions stated and no problems so far.....

Post Thanks / Like

If ya dont want the memory just wire em together and put em on a toggle switch worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Bought a Dual MXD55 Cd player. Instructions say yellow hot wire is for memory and goes to constant 12 volt source. Got that. Goes on to say the red hot wire goes to ignition for on and off power. Don't want the hour meter running just to hear the stereo. Write to Dual and ask if I can take the red and yellow wire, splice together, then run to constant 12 volts. They say "Nope", if the red does not go to ignition, then has to go to a toggle for the unti to have on and off control. But the unit has a power button on it?!?!?!

So, does this mean the Cd units power button will only turn it on? Wrote to fractory again, and they just repeated to put the red wire to a toggel switch.

Any body know of have experience? Does power button only turn unit on, and will not turn it off, thereby making a toggle or ignition switch set up to save the main battery?
    You can run the red and yellow together and use the power switch on the unit. The manufacture is always going to make it sound more complicated than it is. I use to do it for my boat customers all the time. I worked the the car audio field for over 20 years so if you have any questions just holler.

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed the same unit in my boat. I hooked the yellow and red to the same fuse. It works fine, but you will have to remove the front plate or the clock will run all the time when the boat is sitting in the garage.. I just click the little button to unlatch the faceplate and it disconnects for storage.

Post Thanks / Like

I hooked mine into the switch for the fasher unit if you have one and you have the option of turning off flasher but the radio will still have power to it.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Tom,
    Thanks man! Dual had me all confused. Hey dude, who does your hair.....got a get me one of them "do's".

To all- Thanks for the help. All comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate this radio.

I also have it. black to (-) on bat, yellow to pos on bat, red to fuse panel. I do have bat switch on my bayline 175. When I turn the bat switch off the radio turnes on for a few seconds, looks for a CD, then errors and turns off. I can also with the bat switch on turn the radio on by pressing any radio button, is this normal for this unit maby its just mine ??

I am going to connect both red and yellow fuse panel so when i turn bat switch off its actually off. I have had a dead bat a few times when i left bat switch on and face plate on the radio still attached.

ANY ADVISE

WALTER