Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Snow Bird Success!!!

You kidding me, with this weather!!!! Anyway, with cold temps and approximately 1/2" of snow on the ground this morning, my son Mason connected on his second bird.

We arrived at the blind just as they started to gobble a little and got settled in for what I thought might be a long day. We could hear some gobbles several hundred yards away but nothing real close. As we got into the blind there was fresh scratchings in the snow and I knew turkeys had been in there late yesterday afternoon, so that had us pumped. We get settled in and waited for a gobble close by but nothing. Quiet as church. As it got close to fly-down time I made a few light calls and were immediately greeted by some hens very close by but still no gobbles. Within a few minutes the birds begin to pitch down from the roost and we could all be see them hit the ground. About 7am I see three turkeys coming from our left and it was three jakes. Mason got ready for the shot as they started coming within range. Just about the time he was getting settled in on one I see four bigger black chickens appear right in front of us and I tell Mason to freeze. These are bigger birds and we need to take one of the bigger ones. They all converged 20 yards in front of us and settled their differences as we waited to get one to break off by itself. After a couple minutes 6 of them were in a big pile together with one lone bird (the biggest) standing right in the middle of my decoys. Needless to say the red dot scope was already on the waddles and I told Mason to let him have it. Three flew off, three stayed and one was flopping like something just happened to him. We didn't want to spoke them so we watched them give him the Lou Pinella treatment (kick dirt on him like second base) and rough him up before I started playing with them. I had them double gobbling at me all at once for about 15 minutes. They finally eased over the hill away from the blind and Mason was able to claim his prize. What a day!!!! I told him he had done something that I never had done, in taking a gobbling bird in the snow. We both could not be happier. Mason's turkey estimated at 18lbs and 5" beard.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture008.jpg
    http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture013.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Snow Bird Success!!!

Congrats Mason, Glad you guys had success. Rangerman, I admit, I am jealous!!!