Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Old Line...............

Does anyone know how to tell how old line is when you buy it. Seems that the past few spools I have bought have been really bad. Broke two fish off the other night on 17lb test on the hook set. That doesn't happen to me a lot and probably have not done that ten times in the 7 years I have been fishing. The only thing I can think of is the line is old. I check the line often to make sure they are no bad spots in it so I don't think that was the cause.
    Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Line...............

I can't tell just by looking at the spool in the store, it would be nice to have a born on date huh? Not sure of the line you use but I had the same problem with Trilene 13 years ago and have not used it since. I was convinced it must be my knots or treatment of the line on the reels but it seems it was just bad line and it happened alot not just one or two times over a period of a season.

Post Thanks / Like

I too wish the MFG. would put some type of date on the spools to let fishermen know when the line was made and packaged.

I use Trilene XLT 14 lb test in Green and just have nothing but great things to say about the line...Has never failed me when fighting a fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Watch for coloration change and I actually open mine in the store and feel it for memory and stiffness.

Post Thanks / Like

I spooled up off a new spool a couple years ago and had the same thing with P-line which I have never had any trouble with. I called the company because it was a large spool and set me back a chunk , the guy I spoke with was real nice and told me they had not had any problem. He suggested I check my eyes on the rod and call him back (I am ashamed to admit that was the problem) I called him back and apologized, he asked me for my address and sent me a free spool anyway what a company!!!

Moral to the story make sure your eyes are in good shape

Post Thanks / Like

Trilene has the date it was manufactured on it. On the label on the spool look at the very bottom in the white area. You should see a "letter - number - number - number" such as B-8-7-3. The B is the month which is Feb. so that spool of line was made Feb. 8, 2007 on line #3. I always check Wal Mart line before buying I have found spools there 2 years old. I always use Trilene. Been using it for years and I have loads of confidence in it. And by the way if ya feel ya got a bad spool of trilene send them a piece of it with the label and if they find it is bad they will send ya a free spool. I did it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's great info on the date it was made. I wonder if any other manufactures do that?

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with line breaking several years ago. Then I realized I had bought the line at a store that probably didn't sell a lot of sporting goods. Figured it must have been pretty old. Needless to say I don't buy line there anymore.