Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Questions about Cumberland dam problem

First, I'm from VA so I haven't been close to all the issues, but even here we have been hearing about some of the problems with the Cumberland and Center Hill dams. I've read a lot about it from the sites that have been set up to discuss the problems. I think everyone here who's heard about it thinks they're these huge dams that are gonna blow and kill millions of people like some Noah's Ark kind of thing - and obviously that's not the scenario being discussed. I think I'd be more concerned about water intakes and electricity and that sort of thing... anyway...

We are going to Dale next week for 10 days and plan to ride up to see the Cumberland dam. I have two questions: with the work going on there can you actually still cross the dam on Rt. 127 and see what's going on, and two, I'm confused about what they're calling Wolf Creek Dam - is that in any way related to the Wolfe river that runs into Dale? It looks like from the maps it's not connected at all but it's so close with the same name I wasn't sure. Thanks in advance for the info.

....BillH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about Cumberland dam problem

I haven't been down there lately, so I can't answer the first question, but the Wolf Creek Dam is the dam on Lake Cumberland and has nothing to do with Dale. Good luck on your trip to Dale and give us an update when you get back.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I know, you can still cross Wolf Creek Dam at Cumberland. Just guessing, but with all the traffic that goes across that dam, I doubt the road would be totally closed during the construction. It may get to one lane with flaggers on both ends but they would be hard pressed to close it totally because the alternate routes would be so long around. One would have to take 80 west out of Jamestown, all the way to Burnside to cross the lake than back down 90, never drove it but that has to be 60 miles or so all the way around?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can still see what you want and traffic is business as usual going down 127. You may be somewhat disappointed in what you see which isn't much visually pertaining to dam work. The reason it's called Wolf Creek Dam is because when the lake was originally being built the dam was to be in the Wolf Creek arm of the lake and obviously that changed and was put way down lake, however the name stuck and they decided not to change the name. Come'on up anyway lake is still there and will be for a long long time.

Post Thanks / Like

So it won't break when we drive over it? LOL. Thanks for all the replies, will post a detailed fishing report when I return.

...BillH

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Questions about Cumberland dam problem

When you go to see the dam be sure and tow your boat unstrapped in case you have to jump in it!!!LOL Be ready for 1 hell of a ride

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by td176 View Post
    When you go to see the dam be sure and tow your boat unstrapped in case you have to jump in it!!!LOL Be ready for 1 hell of a ride
    That's such a great idea I can't even express my appreciation for the thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I offended, I do apologize

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by td176 View Post
    Sorry if I offended, I do apologize
    LOL. I was just afraid it would scratch my shiny 'glass boat and shiny prop. I was just funnin'

By this time tomorrow, I'll be plopping a lure of some sort at Dale. Good God I can't wait.

...BillH

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Questions about Cumberland dam problem

Good Luck to ya, wish I was going but this weekend is out for me