Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Caney Fork River Question

Does anyone know where I can get info or possibility of a map of the caney fork river. Plan on fishing it next weekend out of the cotton's marina ramp. I believe that the rocky river and collins or barren river feeds into it somewhere. Fished it one time last year and didn't run to far on it from the ramp due to alot of trash floating at the time and didn't do any good. Fished around the boat docks or piers of the homes that were right on the river and close to the ramp. Don't want your honey holes, just alittle info on conditions and maybe what to look for or what works would be great. Thanks...283

Cookeville, Tennessee, God Bless America.
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caney Fork River Question

283 --- I don't know about a map, but give this a try for fun.... go to
    http://earth.google.com/ ...... in the right top if you want, click on Google Map free download and then click on the mac or Windows version and download it....
    takes about 10 minutes if not on a dail-up internet connection.... this is the free version and I'm sure the Google Map Pro has better detail but never tried (one of those things that you get what you pay for things).... once downloaded, copy the "blue" google earth to your desktop or just click on the application from your files in your hard drive....
    once it opens up, type in your address and it'll give you a satellite image over your house and just use the + or - to zoom in or out and the arrows to move around... the center piece actually lets you quickly steer your picture where you want to view ...
    next just steer it down Hwy 111 where White County and Van Buren County meets and that should be the Caney Fork River..... go east and image is pretty clear and go west and it's clear just a little past Cotton's Marina, then the image is not quite as clear but you still get a pretty good aerial photo and if you zoom out to see a bigger picture, go all the way up to Rock Island and follow it up to Center Hill...pretty cool...it even shows little blue + signs that if you click on it, it shows a Natural landmark like Burgess falls, Great Falls, etc.....
    Know it will be hard to take your laptop or computer in the boat, but maybe you can print a good image or have an idea where you're going without an actual map...... Nothing beats a map, but "real men" don't need directions either do we :-) tight lines.......
    Last edited by Dover; 04-15-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caney Fork River Question

Hey Dover: I checked out the earth. google.com site and you are right, It is pretty cool. I tried to zoom in on cottons and follow the river, but that area wasn't highlighted like the areas to the east and west, so the picture was distorded some what. I guess the country side of the satelite imaging process doesn't show up as sharp compared to a city or town. I got playing around with it and went to the west of here and located Nashville. After I kept zooming in and out around town, I noticed something pretty good size down by the river. Come to find out it was the titians football statium and you could see it and pick it apart, so to speak pretty good. I kept zooming in and you could read the word "TITIANS" spelled out in the end zones. Not a bad picture at all, considering it was snapped several thousand miles above the earth. Would still like to have a good old map of the river if possible...I ain't up on all this high tech stuff...Guess you could say that I am from the "old school" and I have got the years to back it up...LOL. Talk at you later...283