Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

question regarding night striper fishing

What are some of the techniques when night fishing at Lake C?

I plan on casting jointed redfins mainly.

What time does the bite usually occur? Do I need to be there at sunset or go out around midnight?

Thanks for the help as this is my first attempt.

Don Smith Guest

Re: question regarding night striper fishing

Quote Originally Posted by motalot View Post
    What are some of the techniques when night fishing at Lake C?

I plan on casting jointed redfins mainly.

What time does the bite usually occur? Do I need to be there at sunset or go out around midnight?

Thanks for the help as this is my first attempt.
    Early in the season, I like to arrive around 7 or 8 PM, and do a little bass fishing till its dark. You might not hear shad this time of the year, but that doesn't mean they will not come up on a red-fin.

I personally have not been this year, was planning a trip during the middle of the week, but don't know if it will happen.

The only way to know when they are coming up is to go and start early, and fish till the fish come up, or you give up, lol. Once you find out what time they are coming up, if you fish every night, you will notice that there is usually around 15-20 min difference each night. Unless someone can post the time, I would be there at dark.

This time of the year, I would throw a sliver, and a red-fin. You can catch them on both, but usually one is better than the other. Chrome/black broken back is the only redfin you will need, just be sure to change the hooks, and take that split ring off the nose, and attach a speed clip, or something of that nature. I always replace the original split rings for the hooks also, they are too large, and one size smaller split rings will help greatly. The hooks I use are Gamakatsu #2 EWG's, and I promise, you won't have a problem getting a hook in them, as a matter of fact the only suggestion I have is to hang on to the rod very very tight, lol.

No need to mofidy the sliver, they are usually good to go right out of the box.

Its time to go, by Easter Weekend they are usually in full swing, lets hope the last major cold fronts are behind us.

Let us know how you do!

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest question this year will be where-to-launch. Mr. Smith is correct- timing is a real key. Find the shad and hang in till dawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Don and Fishincreek gave you the main info. The only thing that I would add is that you need to place your plug within 2 feet of the bank, or closer. I like to parallel the bank with my boat and make casts parallel to the bank as much as possible. The alewifes will be right on the bank, so a plug that is much further out is not going to get hit.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to toss in what Andrew just posted. Might also add that it is very easy to get discouraged, so hang in there. It is kinda a hit-or-miss at times. Sometimes you can be at the right place at the wrong time and visa-versa. I've had times when I thought I was surely the best striper fisherman on the planet and then times when I've had literally innumerable stripers within 10 feet of the boat for hours and never could get even a bump. Some nights they want top, some nights sub-surface, some nights a little deeper. But like Andrew says, I prefer my bait to "click" the bank with each cast.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: question regarding night striper fishing

All these guys are right on with the information. I would like to add one thing also.... Main lake points and bluff walls mid-lake are good places to start. I usually fish Thomas Branch, Harmon, Wolf Creek, and scattered points and walls in between. Some nights they are more active in the creeks and some nights on the main lake. I also use the red/white redfin. I've caught several stripers, walleye, and my girlfriend caught a 4lb. smallmouth on this color. I've heard several reports of fish caught over the past weekend. If everything works out this week, I'll be out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. Good luck and report back on how you do.. I'll do the same and maybe we can nail down what timeframe they are coming up right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: question regarding night striper fishing

P.S. I'm thinking about throwing a Gizz4 for a little while each night. What do you guys think? Wasted time or maybe a new striper night bait.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vmky View Post
    P.S. I'm thinking about throwing a Gizz4 for a little while each night. What do you guys think? Wasted time or maybe a new striper night bait.........
    I tend to go with the "match the hatch" mentality and fish something that resembles an alewife. However, this does not stop me from trying something different just to be sure. Bucktails can also be deadly at night too.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

red and shad are good night colors