Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Boat and Motor Issue

Hey guys, I have a problem and was hoping someone could give me some insight or help. Let me give you the history first.

I have a 2005 G3 175FS with a 115 Yamaha (4 stroke) on it. When i first got the boat, I was getting 42-44mph and 6000 RPM on my Lowrance 111c. Last Sept the boat was about 14 months old and it started having problems. I was fishing and came off of a hole and the boat ran terrible..It would go to about 5800 rpm and kinda shut down, and would run at about 4500 rpm, if you gave it any more gas it would kill it. Well I took it to the dealer (3hrs round trip), I was called and told the boat was ready, that it was a sensor that was telling the motor that it was running cold when it was running hot and giving it too much gas and causing it to choke out. I got the boat home and put it on the water the next day and had the same problem, took the boat back and they finally determined it was the ECU and they replaced that. When i got the boat back it worked fine, but I couldnt get over 40mph, the mechanic said he put a diffent set of plugs in it, and that was why i lost the 4mph.

Then a month or so later I started getting the same problem...couldnt get over 28 MPH, took it back and he said it was prop slippage, it came from the factory with a 13/17 pitch prop, put a new prop on it and it got up to 35mph, where it is now. I cant get over 35.4 mph, and 5800 rpm, the hole shot is barely adequate, and I can tell that all the power is not there. It is like the boat is real sluggish.

I have had the boat back to the dealer 5 times and he has ran it and the computer gives no bad readings and everything seems to check out fine. The mechanic also says he can tell that all of the power is not there, and that the hole shot is barely adequate. This motor has 96 hours on it, and untill this problem started, it ran so sweet. The mechanic finally got a technican from yamaha scheduled to look at it, but that will be a couple of weeks down the road. We have checked the boat out from top to bottom, there are no dings, cuts, hooks or anything in the body of the boat that would cause this.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem, or if anyone might have any ideas. I am sure yamaha will fix it or resolve the issue, however I want to be aware of what I should be looking for if they tell me that there is nothing they can do. I have spoke with the tech at G3 boats and they tell me that this boat should get 42-45mph out of the factory and that is exactly what i was getting. It is not full of water, that was the first thing i checked. Thanks in advance for any response..Trophycats

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat and Motor Issue

Shoot me an e-mail: jeff.kratzwald@remington.com

There's things that need to be said that I probably shouldn't say on an open forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a email..thanks..warren

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!! Something is definitely wrong there. Could you guys let me know what you find our? I have a 2006 Triton 175 TS with a 60 4 stroke Merc and I get 41mph.