Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question 2 questions from newb

1st - I bought the quantum energy in the 5:1 with a cranking stick to use when I am cranking, my question is what other lures are good to use with this gear ratio, or am I limited to just cranking.

2nd - Can someone explain to me in laymans terms what exactly a ledge is, I have studied maps, video's, and everything I can get my hands on, and I still do not understand what this is, and where it occurs.

Thanks for any help in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 questions from newb

Quote Originally Posted by wishniwasfishn View Post
    1st - I bought the quantum energy in the 5:1 with a cranking stick to use when I am cranking, my question is what other lures are good to use with this gear ratio, or am I limited to just cranking.

2nd - Can someone explain to me in laymans terms what exactly a ledge is, I have studied maps, video's, and everything I can get my hands on, and I still do not understand what this is, and where it occurs.

Thanks for any help in advance
    A 5:1 gear is an all around gear. It can be used for anything. A lot of people me included like a faster gear(6:1) for jig and worm fishing because you can take up slack line quicker.

A good way to see what a ledge might look like is notice when you drive on a road where they have cut through rock. A lot of times they cut it in tiers.

Hope this helps.
    rustedhook

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to the fishing reports on this website for Barkley or KY Lake, next to Dave Stewart's report there is an article called "Out on a Ledge". I think he describes ledges in detail there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Jr. Executive View Post
    If you go to the fishing reports on this website for Barkley or KY Lake, next to Dave Stewart's report there is an article called "Out on a Ledge". I think he describes ledges in detail there.
    Tried it, wont let me in, keeps kicking me out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Jr. Executive View Post
    Did a search and found the article, still confused. So ledges only happen in man made lakes, where old creek channels run out to the main river channel. So do i just follow the creek channel and the bank beside that is a ledge. For instance are there ledges at Rough, Nolin, Barren, etc. Sorry still confused
    Last edited by wishniwasfishn; 04-18-2007 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ledge fishing, or better yet, ledge finding can be somewhat difficult.

A ledge is by definition any place on the lake where you have a substantial drop in depth, over a very short span of space.

For instance, one ledge I like to fish, the front of my 21 foot boat sits in four feet, while the back will be in 20 feet.

You can find ledges on the map by looking at the contour lines. The closer the lines, the faster the drop in depth, there by making a ledge. Also you can find ledges by idling slowly around where you think there may be on, e.g. the mouth of bays, and you will see it on your depth finder.

One thing to remember, not all ledges are created equal. This means not all ledges will have fish. For instance, I fish a couple of underwater humps, and they drop pretty quickly all the way around them, but on one end of the hump is some cover (feels like brush piles), and I catch many more fish from that end vs. any of the other sides.

Good luck, and I hope this helps some.

Danny