Search Fishin.com

Thread: Big Tom Down

Post Thanks / Like

Big Tom Down

got in the woods around 6:10 this morning and had to wait about 20 minutes to hear the first one gobble.He was on the next farm over but not to far away.So i headed that way and set up about 40 yards from the fence line.As soon as i set down a hen down below me started up and me and her "Chatted"back and forth for a while.Finally the ol tom started back up again and i could tell he had flew down of the roost and he was closer so i got ready.I would call he would gobble,i would call hed gobble.So he kept on coming and finally got in the feild i was hunting by.I was set up about 40 yards back from the feild so i could just catch glimpses of him strutin in the feild.So i finally got him to comit to coming in and another tom was with him too.The first one crossed the fence and went on and then the big en came across.He jumped up on a dead fallen down tree and struted and gobbled and it was one of the prettiest sites ive ever seen.By this time i had to actually tell myself to calm down or i was going to blow it.He jumped of the log strutted one more time and he came out of strut,threw his head up and i let the ol mossberg bark.He hit the ground and it was over.This was the best hunt ive ever been on and it was just textbook stuff.He had a 9 1/2 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs.I know hes no world record but he was my world record this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Tom Down

Way to go, I have never been turkey hunting before but have always wanted to. I say every year Im going but I never do, sounds like a blast. Great hunt congrats. Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. I never even heard one gobble this morning. I missed one with my bow opening day and have not had another chance at one since I started taking the shotgun, but I will be after them the next 2 mornings so maybe I will get lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats man, that is a good bird, you are doing better than me. All I can see are Jakes. I have them around me nearly every morning and if they are not careful one of them may not be around to reach maturity. Mr 870 super mag is getting a little testy LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys,after yesterday morning turkey hunting is right up there with deer huntin in my book,theres nothing like having him gobble 30 yards away,just sends chillls up your neck,funnest morning ever

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!!!! Nice job and great bird. They are something else.