Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gizz 4 shad

Post Thanks / Like

Gizz 4 shad

Why is all the talk about the Gizz 4 shad. What is the difference than other shad baits?

Are they good trolling lures for Stripers? Can you utilize them with umbrella rigs?

Are they good for casting the banks?

I am interested in these lures as from reading the reports that seems to be the go to bait when all else fails. I have my best luck with buck tail jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gizz 4 shad

I have 3 or 4 Gizz 4 Shad lures and they are good. I have not caught any stripers with them yet, but I have caught some nice bass. They do troll well behind planer boards. I'm sure they will catch stripers well! I spoke with one of the owners of the company and the took a mold from a shad to make this lure. Check out their website at http://www.smacktackle.com/. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using these baits since last fall and have caught a ton of stripers on them. They usually outfish live bait trolling due to the fact that you can cover more water.

Post Thanks / Like

I have looked at these baits and they look very realistic. Would this be a good bait to do some cranking with or is it designed more for trolling for stripes. I know it is a large/heavy bait. How does it run in the water? tight or wide wobble and is it a floating or sinking lure.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a couple of them to try for cranking. To me they are kind of like a floating rattle trap with a little bit wider wobble....my logic is that they would work well on schooling bass, like in the summer during those early morning feeding frenzies. I haven't fished with them enough yet to say whether they are awesome or not but they are definitely good looking baits!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter175 View Post
    I have looked at these baits and they look very realistic. Would this be a good bait to do some cranking with or is it designed more for trolling for stripes. I know it is a large/heavy bait. How does it run in the water? tight or wide wobble and is it a floating or sinking lure.

Thanks
    They are suppose to float and mine do however a buddy has one that sinks like a rock. They look awesome like Art said however I don't like the action of them much as it is rather bland in my opinion. Not much wobble and eratic on retrieve. To me they have better action worked as a jerkbait then a steady retrieve. I think they are a good bait, are they as good as the hype??????, I'm still out to school on that one yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter175 View Post

Thanks
    I haven't caught anything trolling them (yet). I have caught fish casting. You can fish it like a jerk bait, or a med steady retrieve close to the banks at night. It has a pretty wide wobble. It thumps the waters very well when jerked.
    I need to play with the speed, but I think it will do fine trolled. Sometimes, you just have to figure a bait out on certain water...

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    Sounds like your buddy has one that leaks...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Mark,
    Sounds like your buddy has one that leaks...
    That's what I told him the other day, it still runs pretty good though.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes a bait does not have to provide much action to catch fish. If you notice how shad swim, they do not wiggle very much so it may be that it is a good visual bait, but the rattle in it may be enough in off colored water to do the job. I think the new sinking Gizz-4 will have a little more wiggle than the shallow running lure. I think the fact they look so much like a shad, makes it a product lure for larger bass, especially if it is worked slow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    That's what I told him the other day, it still runs pretty good though.
    Hey Mark, have your buddy contact me Jeff Plummer of Smack Tackle, lmjeff@smacktackle.com
    We'll replace his leaker, we want the leaker so we can do QA on it and see what might be causing the leakage.
    Appreciate you all using the Gizz4, we've caught a lot of Stripes, wipers, smallies, LM, my first fish ever on it was a 30" flathead cat!
    If the fish are eating shad, they'll hit the Gizz4.
    LMJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    They are suppose to float and mine do however a buddy has one that sinks like a rock. They look awesome like Art said however I don't like the action of them much as it is rather bland in my opinion. Not much wobble and eratic on retrieve. To me they have better action worked as a jerkbait then a steady retrieve. I think they are a good bait, are they as good as the hype??????, I'm still out to school on that one yet.

Hey Mark, that action has been developed over years of testing, this is just one (two! ) examples of what that "rather bland" action will do to fish:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6...iescottlb4.jpg

Heck, one more:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2...erscotthc9.jpg