Well, I got the 2007 turkey season started off with a bang on opening morning, April 14th. As you will recall it was raining cats and dogs that morning as I slipped into my hunting blind after strategically placing a few decoys. At 6:50AM amidst a steady down pour, I gave three yelps. Not really expecting to see anything I soon saw two wet looking long beards headed my way. After giving them the once over I realized these were the two big boys I had been watching for over a month. The strolled right up to the decoys to within 15 yards of my blind without even a sound. At 7:01AM opening day at 15yards with the ole smoke pole, I laid the smack down! About choked to death in the blind with all that white smoke, lol. Official measurements are weight 22lbs, Beard 11.125", Spurs 1.5" and 1.5625. A wet turkey is not much to look at, lol.

My next hunting trip resulted in a miss at 30 yards due to my trying to weave a 30" muzzleloading shotgun barrel through two old fence lines, lol. Not happy about it since I worked this ole gobbler for an hour to end up blowing a few feather out of his breast, but he handcuffed me. The next trip resulted in me calling in two young long beards into 15 yards while waiting on Mr. Big who was a no show thanks to some yotes. The fourth day of hunting was on a highly pressured WMA where birds are present but they have heard it all. I have hunted there a few times but never harvested anything. The prior afternoon resulted in me walking right up on top of an ole long beard but could not call him into range of the ole smoke pole. Therefore, I returned the fourth day. It began with several birds gobbling then quieted down pretty quick as they got with hens. The one ole long beard I was setup on was right over the bank when two hens went by me. I had just ran off another prior to their arrival but due to the angle was afraid to chance running these two hussies off as well as they might spook Mr. Big. They hook up with Mr. Long Beard and he gets quiet. I suspect they are still close just not being vocal. I belly crawl about 10-15ft to the edge of the ridge and peek over (after 15 minutes of silence) to check to see if the coast is clear. Just as I thought I look down hill at approximately 60 yards is a big tail fan and he is slowly working back my way. I realize if I back up I can not see over the edge of the ridge but due to laying on my belly the view is pretty much limited to laydowns and low brush. Hmmm. I decide to stay put and see what happens. About 20 minutes later I can see the top of his tail fan again at approximately 30 yards thru a big laydown. He is continually easing my way though, very slowly!!! I lay there a few more minutes trying to decide if I should try to ease up and take the shot when his back is turned or stay put. I decide to stick it out a little more. Then all of the sudden I see a turkey coming thru the big laydown. It's a hen!!!! Now, I am really worried she will see me since she is only about 15ft away and giving me the bad eye. Luckily, she resumes feeding then suddenly pops her head up to give me one last look. Again, she starts feeding again and moving around the hill behind some big oaks. I knew I was in the cat-bird seat then!!!! Wait him out!!!! Just as soon as the hen went around the hill out of my line of sight guess who got lonely??? Yep, the ole boy got to looking for his date and broke strutt and came thru the laydown right into a big load of #5's from my ole SMOKE POLE!!!! At 7:42AM at 15 yards this ole boy lay there motionless, grave yard dead!!! White smoke was plentiful again. Official measurements are weight 21lbs, beard 11.9375 and spurs of 1.25".

To keep the streak alive of calling gobblers into gun range, I took my son the next day and had one at 25 yards but unfortunately he was over a steep bank and my son could not see him. Five for five. Soon a hussy showed up and took him away!!!! Another great season!!!!!

Here are some pics of the harvest.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture020.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...res2007053.jpg