Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

pulling a travel trailer and a boat?????

how difficult and legal is it to pull tandem. I am buying a 27' TT at a very good price and would like to pull my 18' tracker behind it. I would be under my towing capacity by about 1500lbs. withoug gear. NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET! Thanks, Shaner

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pulling a travel trailer and a boat?????

Pal, I don't think you can do that legally, not even with a CDL. If you're going to try it, you may need to bring a suitcase full of money to get out of jail. There is too great a chance of of the "trailers" whipping in the wind and rolling you over.

Just to be sure, you should check with the State Department of Public Safety.
    I wish you all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Shaner;
    Not at all sure of the legality of it, but I see it done all the time,just saw a rig like that on my way home from Ky lake sunday. Looked like he was headed to the lake, had about a 28 footer and a boat behind it, although the boat was a smaller aluminum rig. Probably headed crappie fishin.
    I have a 24 foot travel trailer and when I bought it, there was already a hitch on the rear of it, and a good one too. We have used it to tow a small trailer and a golf cart to the races at Eldora with no problems, only thing is you don't want to get into any situations where you have to backup !!
    If it's illegal, I've never been stopped for it.
    You see it all the time at the races.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking that you can do such a thing if you have a 5th wheel trailer and then you can legally hook a trailer up to the 5th wheel trailer....The 5th wheel and tow vehicle are considered as one vehicle and the boat would be the tow vehicle......

But check with the BMV's on this to make sure... But I'm pretty certain that's the law.

Post Thanks / Like

It is legal but there is a maxum length, It used to be 58' but I think it is shorter now. Call DMV in Frankfort and they will give you the length and also get the persons name that you get it from just in case you do get pulled over.
    I was going to green river and got pulled over in Liberty, I gave him the State Troopers name and he went to his car and made a call and came back and he said he was sorry and that I was legal.

Post Thanks / Like

Like every one has said call and be sure, but a friend of mine who works the Corps Campgrounds, always pulls his boat with him, one word of advice though check out that rear bumber, not all are created equal. My friend had a brand new 35 foot 5th wheel and had the trailer sales mount him a tow hitch on it for him. We had got together to have an after season camp out in south Georgia on a barrier Island. On the way south he went over an over pass bridge heading back on the interstate and folks were flashing thier lights and honking thier horns then he sees sparks flying down the road, his hitch had twisted the factory bumber 90 degrees and the boat was being dragged by the safty chains. make sure your trailer can haul another. if not you will have to buy a frame hitch, let a pro mount it unless you like pain.

Good luck
    Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

I did this for years. with a TT and a 5th wheel. No problem, just don't put yourself in a position to have to back up. Indiana length limit was 65 ft. Don't know about Kentucky. It is not legal in every state, so check if you are going to make a trip. I know it is legal in KY and IN. The TT will actually pull better in the wind with the tension of the boat pulling on it. Like has been said, have the pros install a hitch on the TT. Don't depend on the bumper. My last hitch was custom made and cost about $250. Go for it !!! Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice everyone. My truck and TT both have frame mounted hitches so it sounds like it can be done. I guess when i reach my destination i can drop the boat back the TT then back the boat. Thanks again, Shaner

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a boat earlier this year from B&J Marine in Louisville. When they brought it back from the manufacturer in Missouri, there was a second trailer attached to the tail of the first trailer. All were being pulled by standard Reese hitch, not 5th wheel, on a pickup truck. One of the owners told me its not a problem except for one stretch of road where it is illegal, so he diverts around that stretch. Not sure of all the specifics though.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure you can pull a trailer on a fifth wheel hook up, just dont plan on doing any backing up till you get real good at it. I used a 12 ft porte a bote while we were RVing, and it worked for me. but think about this for a minute. 7 miles per gallon, at almost 3 bucks a gallon, are you sure you need thjat GOOD deal? We got rid of our rig when diesel reached 2.65 a gallon, couldn't afford to go where we wanted to, and were not going to camp locally just to camp.Sure do miss those winters on the gulf!

Post Thanks / Like

I was at dale Hollow last week and for the first time ever, saw a white rental passenger van pulling two boats in tandem - on a regular frame mounted hitch. They were small, mid-sized aluminum boats, probably 16-18' with about a 10-20 horse outboards each.

I was amused. I'm from VA and that's not legal here and we had to assume they'd checked out the legality of it before they left. I don't know what state they were from, or where they traveled through, but they left from the Tenn side of the lake.

I had to laugh, you know sometimes you pull into some small town with small, tight gas stations and it's all you can do to get the truck and boat manuvered around to get in and out - and without blocking the whole parking lot. I wonder how you'd manage a long van with two trailers. Seems like you'd have to plan things out pretty well.

Is it possible to back trailers in tandem? Seems like that would be pretty difficult to do as well - unless you could get pretty square to the destination.

...BillH