Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cherokee Lake Stripers and Hybrids

The last 11 years, my buddy and I go to Cherokee Lake the first week of May and Bass fish and also some Striper fishing at night with Redfins. However, we have not caught a Striper in the last 4 years. Only Hybrids. We never caught a Hybrid until four years ago and now that is all we catch. Have not caught a Striper since 2003. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem catching these awesome Hybrids - very fun. However, what happened to the Stripers? Are they still in the lake or just Hybrids now? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, James.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cherokee Lake Stripers and Hybrids

I fished Cherokee two to three times a week mostly for Stripers . I caught a few last year but this year only Hybrids and not that many .. They are still stocking Stripers . The fishing for Stripers has gone down hill . Last year there was a big Kill of Stripers at Mossey Creek . Over 250 Stripers . I have fished for Stripers for 20 years on Cherokee and the last two years have been the slowest . I just wonder if the building of homes on Cherokee has hurt the Striper fishing .?? Septic Tanks ?? Fertilizers on lawns . I guess it comes down to MONEY. I though it was me for while . Hope TWRA reads this .Are you one of the fishermen who fished with Pete this week>> YANK

Post Thanks / Like

No, I just have been fishing Cherokee since I was a kid. 25 plus years and I just assumed the stripers were being replaced by TWRA with Hybrids for some reason. I love catching Hybrids, but the huge stripers on Redfins at night were awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

WEnt today caught some small hybrids on Little Mac's . One of my friends caught ONE Striper 24 lbs. on live shad. I have fished Cherokee since 1965 . The fishing has slowed up the last two or three years .. why ??? YANK