Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Eastern Kentucky our States black eye

Did you folks happen to see the show American Idol gives back the other night where they are raising money to help children who are trapped in extreme poverty around the world they went to africa, south america,other over seas country then to New Orleans for the Hurricane victems and then to EASTERN KENTUCKY where they show cased the plight of the people living there with a 50% unemployment rate, schools that had an annual budget of $500 to buy books for 150 students. There were only 5 students not enrolled in the free lunch program. They interviewed a young boy of 9 or 10 years old and in a voice that was much to mature for a child he told the camera "if you cann't(kaint) get a good schoolin and a better education you just aint going to do no better for your self or your family. You need a diploma to get a good job, and ya got to move away from here though. What the hell have we let happen here. I a so ashamed of my own ignorance. I thought with all of the fees and taxes that we pay in this State that at least the students would have books. This is an election year I think we should get the manure fork out and clean the shed out if you know what I mean. How can these govenor canidates from both sides just let this issue slip away unnoticed. Dr. Fletcher where have you been the last four years, had you took time off from writing out pardons you might have noticed that we our leting down our next generation your TV add says you have made Education better for college students and attracted more jobs to KY but where are they. Those sad eyes were hungary for an education. We have to make our elected officials accountable for this and we as private citizens have to take the blame for this also, and we can and should do some thing to help. Give a few bucks to a good charity, have your church get a ministry together and go back east to our friends and fellow citizens. 5 ,10 dollars here and there will make a big difference. Wanted to win a war, wage peace, attack with weapons of mass kindness, and watch it spread like a wildfire. Please help some how.

Thanks for reading this post, thank a teacher and a book for showing you the way to the world by words alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eastern Kentucky our States black eye

Big Poppy,
    You hit the nail on the head. My kid is in middle school and can't even bring home books to study. How do they think that kids can learn with out proper materials to learn from. All the kids share books and in my opinion it just isn't right. I believe its about time for a change in leaders and someone cares to step up.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is a teacher here in Jefferson Co. There are big problems here as well. Remember all that Lottery money was going to help the education effort. That money is used for all kinds of stuff that never makes it to the education fund because politicians can't keep their hands off it. Same way with the state pension they see the money but can't help themselves. That is why the pension fund is now in trouble. They are talking about making teachers work 35 years and police and firemen work 27 years. The problem is police and fire jobs are for young men and women. You will see a lot of guys get hurt because of this. With the education requirements with teachers (which is a good thing) they are getting out of school later and later it makes it harder and harder for teachers to work 35 years and still be young to deal with the kids on a regular basis. Just my .02 Ryan.

Post Thanks / Like

I work within a school system. In my opinion, what needs to be looked at in alot of these cases is where the tax money is going. Every teacher it seems has an aide. Every ele. school has an associate principal now and at least one proffessional staff assistant.(usually a retired principal working 20-30 hrs a week to help make decisions). Look at how many resource people are now on the payroll and last but not least, how much money is put into trying to teach our kids spanish instead of the spanish speaking mexicans learning English, which they should have done before they came across the border!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the people can make a difference by going to the "board meetings" and making their voice to be heard. The members of the Board of Education need to be convinced, in no uncertain terms, that they CAN AND MUST do more for the students. How long has it been since the members have voted themselves a raise? I'd almost bet that the KY Department of Education has allocated a lot more than $500 for that school.......there needs to be an audit, and NOW.

Dolly Parton has a program called "Books for Kids" (or something like that) and she gives generously to lots of children's educational programs. Somebody needs to get in touch with her and tell her what you have posted here and see if she will use her influence to get educational materials for those children.

Post Thanks / Like

With the elections coming up, be sure to do your research on every candidate's stand on education. In my opinion, Billy Harper really shines on the subject of education, but again that's just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Election coming up! big deal! What do you want to hear? lower taxes you got my vote, better education, you really got it now,Medical insurance for all!!! hooray our savior is here.Guess what? they only tell you WHAT YOU want to hear.If our elected officials listened to us, there would be no debate on illegal amnesty, most folks want the law followed, if they dont belong, get em out!Oh wqe need new laws, BS who follows the ones we have now?When law breakerw cant be prosecuted because a county lacks funds to jail the law breakers, it tells our policemen, look somewhere we can afford.laws are not the answer, we already have them, enforce them, or just tell everyone to do what you want who cares.When elected officials dont follow thje wished of the people, folks quit voting. and when votes are lost, stolen, miscounted, or just ignored, it does not speak well for this country, and much of the world is aware of this.