Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trolling Motor Batteries?

I am looking into buying two new trolling motor batteries and was wanting some feed back on prefrence. What are some good batteries for the money, and what amp is on the brand you like? Is it higher theamps the better? I have a 24 volt motorguide 71lb. thrust.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries?

People will argue till their blue in the face about why not to buy Everstart Batteries from Wal-Mart....But weigh the cost and Warranty and 24/7 replacement times available and by using the proper maint. and recharging the batteries when you get back off the water....Makes sense to buy them to me in every sense of the word......

But you'll hear planty of reasons from others on why not to buy them....But I like them a lot.....

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Trolling Motor Batteries?

Go with everstart! A one year replacement with no questions asked and they are nowhere near the price of other batteries. i have two for my little jon boat and they get the job done and i didnt pay a arm & leg for them.JMO

Post Thanks / Like

Go with everstart.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using the Blue Top Optima Batteries. One to start the boat motor and the other to run the trolling motor only.

I am starting my 4th year with these. I'll let you know in two more years if they are still going!

I can charge up my trolling motor battery in 4 hours after using it all day long. It holds it's charge all winter long too. It won't leak if it's knocked over. It's more vibration resistant that any other battery on the market. Just think how much vibration you get in a boat running across or down the lake all day. Waves hitting the boat and bouncing things around. Regular Lead Acid Battery Plates are just hanging freely in the acid and subject to movement. While the Optima Battery lead plates are wrapped around in a circular shape with glass fiber material in between each plate. And they use a paste that's more resistant and thicker that the water soln used in the regular batteries. This is one of the main reasons they last longer. Optima battery's also use a more purified lead in their plates. This decreases the charging resistance so they charge up faster and hold their charge longer.

How many other batteries will hold their full charge all winter long. Optima batteries will hold their charge for a full year's time.

They cost a bit more but they are more reliable IMHO. And they should last twice as long as your Walmart Batteries. I testing this last statement myself. Like I said I am going on my 4th year with my set of Optimas. I used my boat all last year though Dec. I fish a lake that was Electric Trolling Motors only so I put my trolling motor and my battery to the test last year and the three years before that! Imagine using your 50# thrust trolling motor get power around a 200 acre lake for three years!

But in the end each of us has to decide what's best for us.

Quote Originally Posted by flippinstick View Post
    I am looking into buying two new trolling motor batteries and was wanting some feed back on prefrence. What are some good batteries for the money, and what amp is on the brand you like? Is it higher theamps the better? I have a 24 volt motorguide 71lb. thrust.

Post Thanks / Like

Carquest Gold Deep Cycle - you will not be dissapointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Trolling Motor Batteries?

I always use the Wal-Mart batteries and usually get 4-5 years out of them provided I hook them up promptly after fishing. If you wait too long they will deteriorate rapidly. Just give them a little TLC and you won't regret buying them compared to more expensive brands.

Post Thanks / Like

Ihave used Everstart over the years and can't complain. I ahve never had a problem with them within the given time periods.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses, I have Stowaway Tournament Series now. They lasted five years, but will give the everstart a hard look. What about the Exide Deep cycle from Napa?

Post Thanks / Like

i would go with wal mart never had a problem with them and if they do go bad just take them back no questions asked

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used the Trojan SCS225 group 31, i believe. I did have trouble with last set though and my local dealer no longer carries them. I recently went with "energizer 29MH" from Sam's club. $65 each and 3 yr warranty. cheapest price on the trojan's was 149 a piece. Several people recommended the Sam's/walmart batteries so thought i'd give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am View Post
    I am using the Blue Top Optima Batteries. One to start the boat motor and the other to run the trolling motor only.

I am starting my 4th year with these. I'll let you know in two more years if they are still going!

I can charge up my trolling motor battery in 4 hours after using it all day long. It holds it's charge all winter long too. It won't leak if it's knocked over. It's more vibration resistant that any other battery on the market. Just think how much vibration you get in a boat running across or down the lake all day. Waves hitting the boat and bouncing things around. Regular Lead Acid Battery Plates are just hanging freely in the acid and subject to movement. While the Optima Battery lead plates are wrapped around in a circular shape with glass fiber material in between each plate. And they use a paste that's more resistant and thicker that the water soln used in the regular batteries. This is one of the main reasons they last longer. Optima battery's also use a more purified lead in their plates. This decreases the charging resistance so they charge up faster and hold their charge longer.

How many other batteries will hold their full charge all winter long. Optima batteries will hold their charge for a full year's time.

They cost a bit more but they are more reliable IMHO. And they should last twice as long as your Walmart Batteries. I testing this last statement myself. Like I said I am going on my 4th year with my set of Optimas. I used my boat all last year though Dec. I fish a lake that was Electric Trolling Motors only so I put my trolling motor and my battery to the test last year and the three years before that! Imagine using your 50# thrust trolling motor get power around a 200 acre lake for three years!

But in the end each of us has to decide what's best for us.

My everstarts hold a charge during the winter, not a perfect 100% charge. but hey if yours last 6 years and mine last 4 or 5 who got the better deal overall. Price+waranty+24 hour service anytime+1 year free replacement= around $70
    What does yours cost?