Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Striper Gear Ratios and a few other questions

Hey guys, I know for years one of the most popular striper reels was the Abu Garcia 5500C but is the 5.3:1 ratio to low for casting slivers and redfins. Would a 6.3:1 be better or should one stick to the lower gear? Any particular favorite Reels for casting at stripers?

What length rod do you prefer for casting, I'm using 6 1/2 but wondered if 7 or 7 1/2 would get some more distance.

And line, I use 17lb. Trilene XL on all my striper reels, would going with something lighter be worth it for the distance? What do you guys like to use on casting reels?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Striper Gear Ratios and a few other questions

I use 5501C3's on my casting rods. All are 7 foot. Two are M (rated 3/4 to 3 oz) and one is MH (rated 1-4 oz). 15# pline on two, 17 on the third. You don't need a high speed reel for throwing plugs at Cumberland. You want the plug/jig swimming slowly. High speed reels for the Hydros on the Ohio can be helpful. Casting distance for night fishing is not really important. Accuracy is much more important.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on my baitcaster at night. I was using a spinning reel and I'm not sure what the ratio is on it.

For trolling I'm actually looking at dropping even lower than 5.3:1 to 4.0:1 on my baitcasters. My girlfriend was having a heck of a time pulling in the stripers on them. Switching to the one knob power handle helps. I've been told if you are pulling umbrella rigs you definately want the 4.0:1.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt you'll be happy with 6.3/1 reels. They don't have the necessary power for stripers, and they go through pinion gears like crazy. 5.3/1 is much better. In fact you really dont need all that beefy of a reel to cast for stripers. I usually use Shimano Calcutta 250s, and they're easy to cast and work great for rocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont make it complicated! or KISS,need more speed? try sweeping your rod back, but yopu dont need to be fast for stripers, and at night, be accurate, shorter casts to banks are better than long casts into the shore, and then trying to get your lure back.I know! Last night, 5 stripers, two SMBs maybe two stripes were legal, probably one smallie also, and most fish were tight to bank. 20/6 power pro braid, giz and slivers, biggest smallie on a rapalla shad rap.

Post Thanks / Like

All the stripes were on my 5500c, the giz worked on my spinning out fit.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I use good old Zebco Profstaff 888's with 20 lb test. They are easy to throw, they reel nice and slow to keep a redfin just wobbling and waking on the surface, they have enough guts to stop or slow a Striper, and they hardly ever back lash. I also throw a Penn 7500 SS Spinning Reel with 20 lb test. Drag is so smooth on these and controllable you can dial it in and handle any size fish. With the Penn, its a very slow reel action, as the fast ratio makes a redfin dive if you aren't careful. The reel gear does not have to be expensive. The Zebco's have landed just as many top water Stripers, at night busting shad, or in the October jumps, and are far less expensive 7500 SS.