Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Motor Help, Need a good Evinrude Mechanic

Well I had a wonderful time on Watagua lake until my motor, a 1990 200 Hp Evinrude XP, messed up on me. Ran fine friday, no problem whatsoever. On sat went out motor ran fine for the first couple hours. Was fishing up in a slough and decided to head down the lake. Fired down on her went about 100 yards and she died, just like running out of gas. Switched tanks, squeezed the bulb to get it firm, started the boat, ran about 100 yards and she died again. Had to squeeze the bulb again to get it firm, started right up and ran another 100 yards and died. Finally got back to the dock by squeezing the bulb. Started getting an alarm which I think was low fuel pressure. Going to check fuel filter and fuel flow when I get home from work today. If nothing obvious I guess I'll have to find a good mechanic.
    Anybody know a really good Evinrude Mechanic close to Lexington? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motor Help, Need a good Evinrude Mechanic

Mine did the same thing last week. Except that I drove all the way to Cumberland and it started as soon as I put it in. Exactly what you described. I took mine to Lexington Boats beacause I didn't know where else to take it. Have you figured out the problem yet? I was thinking fuel pump.

Post Thanks / Like

No not yet, will look at it this afternoon. I was getting ready to call Lexington Boat and talk to them and see what they think. If you would please let me know how yours comes out.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody dealt with Kaylor Marine in Richmond? Heard they are pretty knowledgeable people.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't anything good about Kaylor's but who knows. Everyone has an opinion. I personally have never taken anything over there but this is the first problem I have had with my boat. I am hoping to hear something today about mine. It's been there over a week and I still haven't had a call from Lexington boats.

Post Thanks / Like

MJ,
    what year, kind of motor and hp do you have? Just wondering. I called Lexington Boats yesterday and they said at least 3 weeks. I took mine to Kaylors in berea they said a week. Right off the bat he said fuel pump. I took the top off mine and I had great fuel flow from the tanks to the fuel filter when squeezing the bulb, so I guess its just not picking the fuel up. Stay in touch MJ and lets compare notes when we get finished. Good boat mechanics are hard to find so if you find a good one stay with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fuel pump. Its an easy job for a do it yourself guy.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a 97 Johnson Faststrike 150. I dropped it off a week ago Saturday and went by there this past weekend to put the cover on it and they told me they would get to it at the begining of this week. Still haven't heard from them. I suspect the fuel pump but I wouldn't know where to begin on a boat motor. I am wondering what the charge is going to be to fix this. I am interested to see the difference between the 2 places.

Post Thanks / Like

CMAN, I pulled the top off this 1990 Evinrude 200XP and it didn't look to be too easy for a do it yourselfer, man that thing looked intimidating. Too many wires, hoses and straps running everywhere.
    MJ,
    really hoping under $300.00 myself but I guess we'll see, I'll keep ya updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Fella's if your looking for a Boat Dealer to work on your boats, try Anglers Outpost in Nickolasville, just down the road from Lexington....

There Number is 1-859-881-5266, This is where I bought my Triton and so far they have been just great as far as service goes.

Ask for Rick and tell them Clyde Mills recommended you to them.

Post Thanks / Like

It would appear that boat repair is like trying to get contractors to show up at your house to do a job. Covered up. Been over a week and they still haven't even moved it. I was told they would start on it Monday. Now it looks like Thursday. So much for my planned trip this weekend. I wish I had known this before I left it there. Oh well. What can you do, it's too late now. Nowhere else can get to before this weekend now that I have wasted a week and a half. I am going to have to learn to fix these things myself. It's the only way to get it done!

Post Thanks / Like

Get good at it and I'll pay you the $65-$70 an hour. LOL