Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegill spawning

Hey everybody ,
    Went to my favorite fishing hole Sat. morning and caught 18 hand sized or better gill by 12:30 - half had fully devolped eggs and some had been laying . All came on pieces of nightcrawler fished 2-3 foot deep . I didnt see any beds but it has been a full moon & they usally spawn with the full moon . Hopefully I can get out this afternoon and get somemore ! Also had some minnows as there are crappie in the pond but didnt get a one . Last Sat. I caught a 21 inch bass from this same pond so it really is my favorite . The bass hit a black power worm about 11:00 in full sun in about 5 foot of water in some coontail . She wasnt fat with eggs yet so I would say the bass spawn is a few weeks away yet . Crappie were hitting a few weeks ago but that seems to have slowed down . Thats OK - gill eat just fine .
    Tight lines

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bluegill spawning

I caught 25 read ear and 3 gills Friday evening in 2 hours then had 19 on Sunday morning. They were all on beds. Some of the read ears were up 11".

Post Thanks / Like

HH ,
    Careful , the state limit for redear is 25 ! I always assumed that it was unlimited like bluegill but its not . I always loved finding a area in a lake with the "bomb craters" gill beds - I will rig up a small jighead with a piece of crawler and slowly bounce it through the beds and BAM ! Get the fry daddy out . One of my buddys at work said some friends of his in 2 boats caught 80 gill apiece last week-end on a Posey co. lake so I would say they are on ! Looks like May 30th is the next full moon so get ready .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post
    HH ,
    Careful , the state limit for redear is 25 ! I always assumed that it was unlimited like bluegill but its not . I always loved finding a area in a lake with the "bomb craters" gill beds - I will rig up a small jighead with a piece of crawler and slowly bounce it through the beds and BAM ! Get the fry daddy out . One of my buddys at work said some friends of his in 2 boats caught 80 gill apiece last week-end on a Posey co. lake so I would say they are on ! Looks like May 30th is the next full moon so get ready .
    Yeah, I know it's 25. Have to count careful when putting them on the stringer with bluegills in order to keep track. The possesion limit is also 50 but with 4 teen agers fish don't last long around here.