Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

West Boggs Panfish

I'm wanting to head there soon for the panfish bite. When do you think the Redear and Bluegills will be on the big bite? I want to take someone fishing that rarely has an opportunity. Probably fish during the week to avoid less traffic.

Thanks so much!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Boggs Panfish

I don't want you to think I'm making any guarantee here Gary, but here is what I think based on a little knowledge of bluegill, and a little experience with what has become my favorite finny quarry over the years. Bluegill, at least in this neck of the woods, begin their major spawn on the first full moon after the dogwoods bloom. That old fisherman’s tale is based on some science and is pretty accurate. My calendar, the one I use to mark my days off work, says the day for that this year is Wednesday, May 2nd. That is tomorrow. Now of course there are a lot of factors that determine how strong the bite will be, or how long the nesting will last, but from what I see, the water looks good, the temperature is right, and I’m already seeing the telltale dish shaped beds forming in the shallows. So I’d guess the next week or 10 days to going to be the best time to take that trip. So, if you are here then, wave and say hi. I’ll be the guy grinning and hitting the beds with a fly rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike,

With that being said I'm going for next Tuesday the 8th since he has that day off. Weather permitting of course. Right now that forcast looks to be mostly sunny and in the low to mid 80's.

I checked some shallow bays at the Muscatatuck Refuge in Seymour Sunday and saw nothing. They're due to do on really soon.

I've bass fished West Boggs several times but never tried the panfishing. I heard your Red Ears are very nice sized down there.

I'll be looking for that flyrodder giving away his hotspots

Post Thanks / Like

Do the bluegill spawn on different bottom types than crappie? Because if not, they are going to have to fight the Crappie for spawning space because the crappie are spawning right now.

Water temps at the 4ft to 8 ft depths where the crappie spawn are around 64 deg F at Bluegrass Pit.

If Boggs water temps are similar, then the bluegill may wait a little longer for the water temps to warm up some more. I can't remember the exact water temp where the bluegill spawn but I was thinking it was more than 65 Deg F. I could be wrong though as I really am not that sure about the bluegill spawning temps. I think that I use to catch the bluegills spawning when the lake opened. I worked as a life guard at this lake and they had a swimming lake of around 6 acres and then a smaller 2 acre fishing lake. The bluegills were always spawning in the shallower fishing lake in May after I got out of college for summer vacation. Crappie are spawning about two weeks late this year do to the many could fronts that came though in early April this year.

Remember it is the water temp AT THE DEPTH THE FISH SPAWN not at the surface that is the key to the spawn.

The eggs need the proper water temperature to have the best change of developing and hatching properly. And then the fry need ideal water temps to help more of them to survive.

JMHO.

You can tell when the crappie are actually spawning because all the male crappie will take on Dark (almost black) spawning colors. And after you catch an clean a few fish you can see the eggs and determine how ripe the eggs are. If the blood vessels around the egg sacks are noticeable then they are ready to lay eggs. You will see a BRIGHT YELLOW EGG SAC with BRIGHT RED Blood vessels surrounding the egg sack right before the fish spawn their eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAxsom View Post
    I don't want you to think I'm making any guarantee here Gary, but here is what I think based on a little knowledge of bluegill, and a little experience with what has become my favorite finny quarry over the years. Bluegill, at least in this neck of the woods, begin their major spawn on the first full moon after the dogwoods bloom. That old fisherman’s tale is based on some science and is pretty accurate. My calendar, the one I use to mark my days off work, says the day for that this year is Wednesday, May 2nd. That is tomorrow. Now of course there are a lot of factors that determine how strong the bite will be, or how long the nesting will last, but from what I see, the water looks good, the temperature is right, and I’m already seeing the telltale dish shaped beds forming in the shallows. So I’d guess the next week or 10 days to going to be the best time to take that trip. So, if you are here then, wave and say hi. I’ll be the guy grinning and hitting the beds with a fly rod.

Post Thanks / Like

My theory is that the old saying about first full moon after the dogwoods bloom is pretty accurate as to predicting when the weather is going to have the water hitting that magic 65 degree mark. Bluegill nest mostly in water that is 65 to 70 degrees, and prefer firm bottom areas in depths from about 2 to about 6 feet. Normally that is all going to happen at about the same time each year, give or take a week or so. And you are right that not all the water get to the right temp on the same day. That accounts for the fact that the spawn is spread out over as much as a couple of weeks, or more. Now I’m not sure about the moon thing, but it seems to work for me. Maybe its just because I spend more time out there then because I believe it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am View Post
    Do the bluegill spawn on different bottom types than crappie? Because if not, they are going to have to fight the Crappie for spawning space because the crappie are spawning right now.

Water temps at the 4ft to 8 ft depths where the crappie spawn are around 64 deg F at Bluegrass Pit.

If Boggs water temps are similar, then the bluegill may wait a little longer for the water temps to warm up some more. I can't remember the exact water temp where the bluegill spawn but I was thinking it was more than 65 Deg F. I could be wrong though as I really am not that sure about the bluegill spawning temps. I think that I use to catch the bluegills spawning when the lake opened. I worked as a life guard at this lake and they had a swimming lake of around 6 acres and then a smaller 2 acre fishing lake. The bluegills were always spawning in the shallower fishing lake in May after I got out of college for summer vacation. Crappie are spawning about two weeks late this year do to the many could fronts that came though in early April this year.

Remember it is the water temp AT THE DEPTH THE FISH SPAWN not at the surface that is the key to the spawn.

The eggs need the proper water temperature to have the best change of developing and hatching properly. And then the fry need ideal water temps to help more of them to survive.

JMHO.

You can tell when the crappie are actually spawning because all the male crappie will take on Dark (almost black) spawning colors. And after you catch an clean a few fish you can see the eggs and determine how ripe the eggs are. If the blood vessels around the egg sacks are noticeable then they are ready to lay eggs. You will see a BRIGHT YELLOW EGG SAC with BRIGHT RED Blood vessels surrounding the egg sack right before the fish spawn their eggs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Boggs Pan fish

Mike is correct. The spawn can last for a few weeks. It's all dependent on the weather each spring. Each spring is a little different.

I just read on www.ecrappie.com that the black crappie on Kentucky Lake's Blood River may spawn as early as Late February and Early March. These Black Crappie spawn much earlier than the White Crappie and they also spawn in much shallower water. According to KDFG Paul Rister the water in KY lake has cleared up a lot over the years. This he said may be do to better farming techniques. More no till farming and other practice that help to eliminate soil erosion. The clearing of the water has allowed more sunlight to reach deeper into the depths of KY lake. This increased sunlight has promoted the growth of submergent weeds. The Black Crappie also spawn in shallower water than the White Crappie. Now this is based on the study that Rister did on Blood River a few years ago. Your lake may be different. Southern Lake will warm up before KY lake and Northern Lake will warm up later than KY lake. So adjust your fishing by a few weeks in either direction Rister said that the White crappie spawn around April and that they come into the shallows from deeper water to spawn. The White Crappie may spawn as deep as 8ft with the clearer water. So you may fish a little deeper for the White crappie.

I just spoke with my good friend Patoka Larry and he advised that the crappie he has been catching the last three to four weeks have not spawned yet. He just told me that the surface water temps on Patoka Lake are around 65 deg F. Patoka being further North than KY lake will take longer to heat up. It does not get the same amount of sunlight until later in the spring.

Fish are staging right now on Patoka and getting ready to hit the shallow waters to spawn. But remember that different areas of Patoka Lake get more or less sunlight and are shallower than other and therefore may heat up faster than other areas of the lake. The deeper submerged island spawning areas may not reach the ideal water temp until mid May or even late May. Patoka Lake has very clear water on the main lake and this can cause the crappie to spawn much deeper and later. White crappie especially. The Black Crappie may occupy different areas and may be found more in the weeds than the White Crappie.

If I were going after bluegills I would use a slip float rig or a fly rod with a sinking tip line. I have observed big bluegill spawning as deep at 20ft in a very clear flooded old Rock Quarry. So to reach the big fish you may have to go deep.

My theory is that the old saying about first full moon after the dogwoods bloom is pretty accurate as to predicting when the weather is going to have the water hitting that magic 65 degree mark. Bluegill nest mostly in water that is 65 to 70 degrees, and prefer firm bottom areas in depths from about 2 to about 6 feet. Normally that is all going to happen at about the same time each year, give or take a week or so. And you are right that not all the water get to the right temp on the same day. That accounts for the fact that the spawn is spread out over as much as a couple of weeks, or more. Now I’m not sure about the moon thing, but it seems to work for me. Maybe its just because I spend more time out there then because I believe it works.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were going after bluegills I would use a slip float rig or a fly rod with a sinking tip line. I have observed big bluegill spawning as deep at 20ft in a very clear flooded old Rock Quarry. So to reach the big fish you may have to go deep.
    I like using 6 lb Fireline w/ the adjustable clear casting floats, no weight and a redworm. Has proved to be a deadly tactic for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: West Boggs Pan fish

Thanks for the info. I like using a fly rod just fo rthe fun of the way it feels with a fish that fights like a big bluegill. But over the years I also have used the clear teardrop casting floats with a light weight leader about 4 feet long beyond the float. But I like using a simple white popper on the end, or a wolly worm fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    OK, I'm hesitant to do this, but since I'm among friends, I will give away my time proven bluegill harvesting secret. Please use it yourself, but keep it to yourself. With this method, I've harvested many, many #'s of fillets over the years. Other methods work at other times such as after spawn for much deeper fish, but this is the absolute best for spawning time. I continually outfish everyone on the lake and laugh at the fly rodders who do fine but don't even compare.

Gear;
    long B&M rods
    large spooled medium sized spinning reels
    4# line
    torpedo casting floats (normally clear teardrop shaped with eyelets on ends)
    truturn #8 long shanked hooks (I like the red ones)
    peepsight tubing

Rigging;
    tie on hook
    thread hook through top eyelet of float, then bottom, top again, bottom again
    adjust float to 18ish"
    cut 1/16" of tubing, thread over hook up and over bottom eyelet of float as stop

Fishing;
    bait with cricket
    this float will cast a mile, so use it to avoid spooking the fish
    feather the end of your cast to lay cricket out in front of float
    the cricket will do the work, so just wait (topwater hits are the funest)
    if you don't get a hit within a minute, a couple of quick pulls will often start the slow fall, with the cricket still working. Watch for the float to move.

You still have to do your part. Isolating where the larger fish bed, catching the bulls making the beds and fishing from outside to in are keys.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished with the tiny #10 or #16 epoxy ants from Betts. They sink slowly. The key is to watch the fly line where it attached to the leader for movement. When you see the line move set the hook because a sunfish has taken the ant.

Crickets are great bait and the idea of using the clear casting bubble has been around for a long time. Thanks for reminding everyone about that method.

Bee Moths work good also with a #10 long shank gold wire hook and a couple of split shots attached to 4lb test line. Fish this setup tight line in deep water. The same method with a #4 hook and a minnow works well for deep water crappie.

There are so many way to catch fish. I love hearing what others use to be successful.

I am a firm believer in the use of artificial scent on artificial baits. Jigs with Dr Juice or a Crappie nibble added for scent can make a big difference in the number of bites one gets.

Mike mentioned a trick that I read about in the Herter's Professional Guide Book many years ago. Using the casting bubble ( clear plastic that you can add water inside) and adding a small fly to the setup. The weight of the casting bubble gets the fly out away from the boat or bank and then the fly can be pulled to the surface and then allowed to slowly sink. This can be repeated over and over again all the way back to the boat. You can cover a lot of water.

I like using the small Comal Slip floats made from Styrofoam. These cast well with ultra light outfits and allow the jig and float to land without spooking the fish.

Another thing to try is to troll a crank bait in the 10ft depths for post spawning and summertime crappie. Add a 2ft long leader to the back hook of the crank bait and tie on a 1/32 oz jig or a dry fly or streamer fly. The crappie see the crank bait coming and then hit the fly or jig. I have not tried this yet but I have read of others using this method to great success. It's in the Herter's Professional Guide's Manual.

Thanks for the info. I like using a fly rod just fo rthe fun of the way it feels with a fish that fights like a big bluegill. But over the years I also have used the clear teardrop casting floats with a light weight leader about 4 feet long beyond the float. But I like using a simple white popper on the end, or a wolly worm fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite living and working on a lake, I don’t always have time to fish as much as I’d like. So I’ve developed a habit of taking short fishing trips, sometimes as short as 15-20 minutes. Especially this time of the year I enjoy pulling an ultra light or light rig our of the truck and working some bit of promising shoreline, trying different ideas. I am always a little surprised when I catch a bluegill on a bass plug, but it happens often. I’ve caught many on a little sinking Rapella minnow.

I think if we talk about this enough, we learn two things. One is that bluegill can be caught on almost anything at nesting time. The other is that this is probably why we love fishing for them then. Fishing is always more fun when we catch something, and bluegill in the spring almost always cooperate. They make us feel like experts.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I'll be down there Tuesday weather permitting anything but a washout. I'll be in a red Nitro.

I thought about heading thru the tubes back to the shallow coves or the upper end of the main lake. Do just about all the shallow coves produce?