Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor News

Post Thanks / Like

Outdoor News

Hey all ,
    If your in a store that has free copys of Tri-state Outdoor News pick one up and read Mark Crowley's article on the proposed ethanol plant on the Pike/Gibson county line right next to Oakland City and Snakey Point . It sounds like a very BAD idea - very smelly and polluting . The article is very good and if I lived in Oakland City I would be very concerned . It sounds like the Pike county local gov. is willing to trade 100 jobs for some thing that will affect 1000's of people and lots of wildlife , including nesting bald eagles .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outdoor News

Well said mate:

It's great to see that people understand how using all that corn to make fuel is making the cost of corn, beef, pork and chicken rise too.

I don't think that using corn for fueling our industry is good for America. We need renewable energy sources not those that need foreign petroleum to grow. Can't grow corn in record acres without gasoline for the tractors and petroleum is being used to make the fertilizer.

You take 4 energy units to make 5 energy units and that's not wise national policy.

Sure the farmers are going to make more money on corn but they will have to turn around and pay out more money for everything due to the inflation that rising fuel cost have on everything.

And Snaky Point should be preserved. It's a FEDERAL REFUGE and air pollution CONSTRUCTION PERMITS need to take that fact into consideration.

IDEM Air Pollution Control Division issues these Construction Permits and then the Operating Permits. A public hearing should be requested on this permit so that the public finds out all the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    This ethanol thing is a giant mess. There needs to ba a lot more public education on this issue. The price of corn has nearly doubled. Soon, if not already, the prices of what we feed that corn to will reflect that.

The longer term downfalls will be, aside from the plants and their pollutants;
    -more (golden) cornfields
    -less woodlands
    -more silt, fertilizers and pesticides in our waterways.

All this for a product that is less efficient and higher priced than current fuel pricing (+ a 25% increase.)

Post Thanks / Like

Ethynol sounded like a real winner. Then you start getting the real scoop and it sounds like another big ripoff and ecological disaster. I feed wildlife year round but that has now ended. Birds only. Boooo. Leave Snakey point alone...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to Gibsoncountynow.com .

http://www.gibsoncountynow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1827&page=2

Sounds like some of those folks dont mind the stink to sell some more bushels of corn . Go figure .

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, ethanol is bad stuff. If you guy remember my post about how it gunk up your boat fuel system. I'm really not looking forward to the day of searching for and going way out of my way to get real gasoline for my boat.

Post Thanks / Like

bump

Post Thanks / Like

bump bump

Post Thanks / Like

VERY GOOD ADVICE!!

I saw a program where the billionaire who likes to fly around the world in high altitude ballons is supporting ethanol plants that use ONLY the waste material from crops and not the crops themselves. A lot of corn stocks could be used to make fuel. Leave the corn to the animals and people to eat. We should not be buring or food for fuel. Corn Stocks and the leaves from the stock are made out of cellulose and we can turn cellulose into Alcohol. That would not cost that much more and it would not drive up food prices.

Great Point about protecting the water systems from excessive fertilizer. Most people don't see that, but you did. Obviously you are trained to see the total picture and that's a good thing!

Read an AP article in the Sunday paper about Mississippi farmers losing their corn crops to drought. They had planted corn for the artificially high prices brought on by the ethanol craze. The cotton, that they would have planted normally, takes much less water to grow. So apparently now we will see higher prices for clothing also.

Another news article today on higher dairy prices for the higher feed (corn) prices. Eggs have already gone up for the same reason.

Other than higher cost of living for us all, the major concern for us is the longer term effects on our waterways. Residual from numerous ethanol plants and the not so obvious overuse of fertilizers and pesticides to make corn grow where it wouldn't normally

We really need to start showing our concern for these issues to our legislators. I'm guessing that Lugar won't be much help to us on this. I believe he might have had something to do with getting the whole thing started. I’m not sure on this though. One way or another, election seasons will be coming on strong in the next couple years. We need to take full advantage of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am View Post
    VERY GOOD ADVICE!!

I saw a program where the billionaire who likes to fly around the world in high altitude ballons is supporting ethanol plants that use ONLY the waste material from crops and not the crops themselves. A lot of corn stocks could be used to make fuel. Leave the corn to the animals and people to eat. We should not be buring or food for fuel. Corn Stocks and the leaves from the stock are made out of cellulose and we can turn cellulose into Alcohol. That would not cost that much more and it would not drive up food prices.

Great Point about protecting the water systems from excessive fertilizer. Most people don't see that, but you did. Obviously you are trained to see the total picture and that's a good thing!
    What is wrong with farmers making more money? Maybe we won't have to subsidise them. I would rather pay them than Saudi's. When you get finish distilling the corn it is as good for food as it was before you processed it. so you are energy effiecent with the corn you use for feeding livestock All you did was add value to the corn before feeding it by taking the alcohol from it.. Also they built an Ethanol plant in our home town no foul odor smells like bread baking.

Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with paying Farmers more money for the Corn? Well go to the grocery store and try to by a box of Cereal. It will cost you almost 4 dollars today. Next year it may cost more than $5 for the same box of cereal. That's my objection to giving farmers more money. We get them federal tax money all the time now. We paid them in the past not to plant crops on certain acreage. I am not against the farmers producing ethanol wisely. By using the waste products of the crops such as the corn stocks and the wheat shafts they can still make ethanol without driving up the price of corn. I don't really like the idea of burning up or food to keep us warm. I would rather see the price of corn stay lower than higher. I am sure that anyone else who's a consumer of food (corn based products) will feel the same way. Now the farmers are the ones that would benefit but the country as a whole will not benefit that much. In fact the people in this country have a hard time paying the bills the way it is, and they don't need a price increase in the food we have to buy. Sorry if this offends your farmers that are growing corn. But that's my side of this debate.

And the energy consumed by taking corn and turning it into a fuel for our automobiles is almost as great as the amount of energy produced. It said that it takes 4 units of energy to produce 5 units of energy from corn. That's not very efficient IMHO. And I see it as a waste.

We could save more fuel by telling our US Senators to vote for the law that would require Detroit and any other vehicle manufactures to make vehicles that get better gas mileage. Conservation alone can help solve the fuel crisis if we only would act sooner rather than later. Even the GOP Senators agree with this fact.

Now taking the corn stalks and converting them into a fuel may be more sensible. The only other use of this corn stubble is to feed the animals this low nutritious cellulose or to turn it over into the ground and let it rot and provide it's nutrients back into the soil. This is not very compatible with no till farming though. Most of these corn stocks are not even used.

How do you think the farmers are going to grow the corn or plow the fields or fertilize the fields without OIL or products made from OIL? The tractor and vehicles on the farm won't run without some sort of fuel. So without oil based fuels the tractor can't be used to till the grown. The combine can't be used to harvest the crop without fuel. And the trucks that hold the grain and take the grain to market require gasoline or diesel fuel to get there. The factory that makes the nitrogen or ammonia fertilizer has to have oil or oil products to run the factory. They need fuel to get the goods delivered to and from the factory. So you see that without OIL you won't be able to make enough Alcohol to do anything with. Making alcohol out of our food supply is a silly pursuit IMHO. It's a desperate measure at best. There are many other things that can be done to fuel American Vehicles and heat our homes and factories. You don't burn down the forest to heat your home. Those practices were found to be defective many decades ago.

I have no big dog in this fight, meaning that I don't own stock in any big farm cooperative or in any refineries. But I do have to buy food and eat just like everyone else and I will fight to keep the food costs down. Your price increase in corn will take more out of everyone's wallets without a whole lot of benefit to Society as a whole.

That's the facts!

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    What is wrong with farmers making more money? Maybe we won't have to subsidies them. I would rather pay them than Saudi's. When you get finish distilling the corn it is as good for food as it was before you processed it. so you are energy effiecent with the corn you use for feeding livestock All you did was add value to the corn before feeding it by taking the alcohol from it.. Also they built an Ethanol plant in our home town no foul odor smells like bread baking.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not farmed since 1972 and until a few years ago corn was about the same price as it was in 1972 no way has it kept up with inflation. Farmers are getting more yied but they can not keep being a cheap bread basket forever. as for the fuel I agree we can use grass straw corn stalks but we can also use all the corn going to feed livestock and take the alcohol out of it before we feed it. All it will cost you is the price of the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Now back to the original discussion issue. What is the mass production of ethanol going to do to our waterways? Increased levels of fertilizers, pesticides....

Fields are all ready being paved over and made into subdivisions. I don't remember the last woods I saw cleared to make room for more crops instead of homes. So with the amount of tillable ground decreasing every year, what makes you think that you are going to get more fertilizers, pesticides, ect. in the waterway when the fields that are going to be planted in corn would have been beans, wheat, ect. if it wasn't for the ethanol issue?

The fields are going to be planted and regardless of what they are planting in them, pesticides and fertilizers are still going to be used.