Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Clear water smallmouth

Hey guys,

Looking for a little insight as to what you would do.....

I am heading north,near the great lakes, to a clear water lake with lots of drops, rocks, etc. It's an impoundment lake, so current is non-existant. It's primarily known for it's walleye and perch fishing. I will be looking to catch some good size smallmouth, but have not had much experience with smallmouth. I've always targeted largemouth and any smallmouth I happened across were considered a bonus. Now I've got to target smallmouth and am not sure what to look for! Are there certain baits that would work better for smallmouth? I've always heard that tubes are the way to go. Any special color to use in crystal clear water? How about spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, and jigs? How about live bait? I'm thinking maybe I can find them with live bait first and then switch to artifical once I know where they are at. Any hints, tips, or suggestions would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear water smallmouth

First determine what the local fish are feeding on, sorta match the hatch if you will. Use lighter line and use flouro, or at least flouro coated lines such as P-Line Flourocarbon, this is an excellent line and very strong per diameter width. Crystal clear water will lend itself better to lighter colored lures. Such as watermelons, camo's, pumpinkseeds, ect. Also whites, and even pinks in some lures can be effective at times. Tubes can be deadly this time of year, but also fish topwaters in the early AM and in low light conditions. Especially Zara Spooks or other walking baits like Sammy's and such. If you get a stiff wind throw Tandem willow bladed spinnerbaits around cover or on flats, fish them very fast and occassionally flare the blades by stopping and restarting your retrieve quickly. Hang on as smalljaws just hate that for some reason. Fishing quickly in the clear water will get you alot of reaction bites and it doesn't give that ole wary brown bass time to check it out real good and shy away. Any drops or channels near flats especially with any form of cover on them will get your arm broke. Bass in these types of lakes will choose spawning areas right out in the middle of the lake in nothing looking spots so use your sonar and watch closely. If you find one of these special places you will have a ball. Take some smoke colored grubs with you on a exposed lead headed jig. 1/4 oz. is plenty and throw it on 6 or 8 lb test on a yankee stick. I wish I was going with ya, I love smallmouth better than....... well you know.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yea I almost forgot never go smallmouth fishing without jerkbaits. My personal favorite is the olive colored Rapala X-Rap, ripped on light line it's deadly.

Post Thanks / Like

you got that 8lber yet mr. hall??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Hey guys,

Looking for a little insight as to what you would do.....

I am heading north,near the great lakes, to a clear water lake with lots of drops, rocks, etc. It's an impoundment lake, so current is non-existant. It's primarily known for it's walleye and perch fishing. I will be looking to catch some good size smallmouth, but have not had much experience with smallmouth. I've always targeted largemouth and any smallmouth I happened across were considered a bonus. Now I've got to target smallmouth and am not sure what to look for! Are there certain baits that would work better for smallmouth? I've always heard that tubes are the way to go. Any special color to use in crystal clear water? How about spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, and jigs? How about live bait? I'm thinking maybe I can find them with live bait first and then switch to artifical once I know where they are at. Any hints, tips, or suggestions would be appreciated!

Clear Water - light Flourocarbon line (4-6lb test) - 1/8 oz jigs in natural colors (Green Pumpkin, Avacado, or Crawfish Brown) with trailer should produce anywhere that a Smallie swims. Good Luck, I wish I was with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigwormy View Post
    you got that 8lber yet mr. hall??
    Only in my dreams, and I dream about it alot......

Cookeville, Tennessee, God Bless America.
    Post Thanks / Like

good luck.... let us know how you do..... tight lines...

Post Thanks / Like

My trip is about a month away. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can so I can make some wise decisions while I'm there. You guys have mentioned some good stuff! I'm going to have to do a little shopping! I don't think I've ever bought 4 lb test!

Post Thanks / Like

In-Fisherman has two books out. One on small mouth bass and the other on Walleye. According to the small mouth book the walleyes will run the small mouth out of a spot. So if you are starting to catch walleyes just keep on fishing for them as they are better eating than small mouth bass. LOL

If you want to catch small mouth then move to a new spot if the walleyes show up.

My trip is about a month away. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can so I can make some wise decisions while I'm there. You guys have mentioned some good stuff! I'm going to have to do a little shopping! I don't think I've ever bought 4 lb test!

Post Thanks / Like

6lb and 8lb is plenty low enough 4lb test isn't necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

How about #5-#8 countdown Rapalas in the shad, perch or walleye patterns around the rocks and bluffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra190 View Post
    How about #5-#8 countdown Rapalas in the shad, perch or walleye patterns around the rocks and bluffs.
    Man I forgot about those! I've used those on creeks like Elkhorn before and had good luck with them! Those baits are awesome!