Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Barkley Little River This weekend Shellcrackers ,bass,catfish

I am requesting some information on where I can catch large numbers of shellcrackers in this area. I have never fished this area before. By the looks of the past fishing reports most of the shellcrackers have allready spawned. Am I too late? Do bluegill spawn any later? I will also be doing some bass and catfishing. Any tips or locations would be deeply appreciated.Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Barkley Little River This weekend Shellcrackers ,bass,catfish

My buddies were hot and heavy on those shellcrackers about three or four weeks ago, they were pulling limits out daily for about three days! It's been slow ever since for them.

I fished Barkley this past weekend trying to get in on the catfish spawn, only had one in the area where that would be happening - decided I was one week early....they should really be starting to turn on now! Places to look for are gravel bars near deeper water, or rip rap banks. You only need to fish with a bobber, or cork, or float, or whatever you want to call it, and only fish at about 3 - 4 ft deep. I typically use the smallest minnows I can get so I can doulble up on the bigger bluegill and the catfish. Usually my best time of day has been between the hours of 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. You may spend a while without a bite, but once you've caught one, you can usually start pounding them one right after another in that same area. If you do much "limb-linning" nows the time to start doing it!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done much fishing at night for spawning catfish, it might be better....usually I have all that I want by four or five in the evening and pack it on in to start cleaning those dudes!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I am headed down today .I guess I'll give that fishing under bobbers a try.I'm a little confused about the fishing reports that Iv'e read. They say that catfish are spawning on the rocks. I always thougt that they spawned under rocks,and that they didn't bite when doing so.Also says that the shellcrackers are still spawning.Don't know about that one.I gues I'll fish for bass and catfish. Thanks