Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Gasoline Price Gouging

I'm not sure how many Pittsburg Marine Tournament fisherman noticed the short term change in the gas price's on Friday and Saturday of the past week, but, my partner and I did see the $.20 increase that lasted less than a 24 hour period, at ALL Somerset gas stations that were on Hwy. 27. We filled our boat and truck at exactly 2:31 PM Friday for $3.90/gal. Prior to the meeting the price jumped $.20. By the time the tournament was over on Saturday, it was back down to $3.90/gal. It seems that Somerset is trying to reduce their economic impact by the Wolf Creek Dam situation, by over charging the fisherman. We sent an email to the Attorney General and Somerset Chamber of Commerce. AG says they won't do anything. Not considered price gouging. There have been several tournaments that have moved to other lakes because of the water level. Those who stayed with LC just received a smack in the face. If you feel the way I do, I suggest we don't use Somerset for our gas needs to fish Cumberland, if at all possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gasoline Price Gouging

$3.90 sounds like price gouging to me. The highest price around here is around $3.09.

Post Thanks / Like

It you really think there is collusion and price gouging, report it to the KY Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division: 502-696-5389.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Gasoline Price Gouging

The response from the AG was a four paragraph email I received this AM. They gave me nothing but excuses why they want, or say they can't, take any action. I decied to appeal to the people since the state government will not take action. The Somerset Chamber of Commerce was copied on the note to the AG. Haven't heard from them yet, and don't expect to, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtbass View Post
    I'm not sure how many Pittsburg Marine Tournament fisherman noticed the short term change in the gas price's on Friday and Saturday of the past week, but, my partner and I did see the $.20 increase that lasted less than a 24 hour period, at ALL Somerset gas stations that were on Hwy. 27. We filled our boat and truck at exactly 2:31 PM Friday for $3.90/gal. Prior to the meeting the price jumped $.20. By the time the tournament was over on Saturday, it was back down to $3.90/gal. It seems that Somerset is trying to reduce their economic impact by the Wolf Creek Dam situation, by over charging the fisherman. We sent an email to the Attorney General and Somerset Chamber of Commerce. AG says they won't do anything. Not considered price gouging. There have been several tournaments that have moved to other lakes because of the water level. Those who stayed with LC just received a smack in the face. If you feel the way I do, I suggest we don't use Somerset for our gas needs to fish Cumberland, if at all possible.
    Right now it's $3.15 in Somerset. Has it really dropped .95 in just 3-4 days?

(Poster says is went up .20 from $3.90 and then back down to $3.90)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Gasoline Price Gouging

You were correct. $3.09 was the original price. My mistake. It jumped to $3.29 and fell back the next day to $3.09. Sorry. Too miffed. Whatever, the $.20 jump was it was pointed at the fisherman.............no doubt. It didn't effect the pleasure boater's. Most of them don't care. And the ones that are docked are not going to load up and go to an inland gas station. The locals were not really impacted because the increase didn't last that long. It lasted through the timeframe that the tournament fisherman needed to fill his boat prior to the next days tournament. The AG said it didn't fit price gouging and they didn't see it as collusion.

Post Thanks / Like

You went fishing right? So what are you complaining about? did it curtail your activity? This past week end I paid 3.41 for fuel, i knew ahead of time what the price was in the area I needed to go to, i could have delayed the trip, so who's fault was it? mine! There are some folks who are worrying about fuel just to get to work, and you are complaining about prices and you are fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Well a little off the topic but, it is not going to get any better anytime soon. It is killing my fishing, because I just won't go if gas stays the same price. It takes too much. I really think that gas stations plan when to raise and lower gas. I bet gas will come back down under $3.00 a gal. after Monday. Once the holiday is over, it will come back to $2.70-2.80 a gal. That is still too expensive to pay.

I asked a friend of mine last night at dinner, who is a former trucker how they are doing it. He said that there are very few independents out there. They have all gone belly up or have sold out to a larger company. That is sad. Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

We asked for this mess, and now here it is. Hey at least there is fuel, I remember waiting in line just to get half a tank, there was a gallon limit at that time. Remember the national 60mph speed limit?We want big cars and trucks and boats, and a lot of us have them, but are we happy?Hey guys WE are the problem, not the answer.A few simple solutions are drive less, drive slower, and drive smarter. That will make it possible for the guy in the Humvee, dragging that 24 ft 250 hp three axle trailer, gthe chance to make the oil companys richer.

Post Thanks / Like

Went up to 3.19 today down here. I really don't understand the increase up and down. You can just about watch it jump daily. Now has it deterred my fishing? No not really but I only fish one day a week with a buddy of mine and we split the cost on the gas. We usually don't do a lot of running on the lake either so going thru a lot of gas really doesn't effect us with his 175 HP engine. I don't see the price going down anytime soon or at least till this winter and I guess the bottom line is if I'm going to fish then I will have to pay the price. I may not be able to afford to eat but then again my wife says that I need to go on a diet anyhow. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Gasoline Price Gouging

I got an email yesterday that made lots of scents,dont do business with the big 2 companies, Exon and B.P. Still buy your gas but stay away from them for one week, they will drop prices but dont give in,stay away for one more week ,Two week will get all there attention and $2.00 gas will flow.
    Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

the up & down price happens frequently around here as well. I've seen one station go up $.20. If the other stations follow suit, they'll all go up $.20 as well. If none of the other stations raise their price to match, by the end of the day the one station that did will lower their price back down.

This is pretty normal everywhere I've been. All of the stations around here will all be exactly the same price, except for a couple of name brands like Shell, and Chevron might be 3-5 cents higher.