Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hybrid at barren need help

Hi everyone, I went hybrid fishin for the first time tues. night, and took my wife. Iwas hoping she could catch one, but didn't. We got there at about dark and started throwing a bandit crank bait off of points and shallow flats with no luck then we tried trolling different cranks no luck. Their was another boat that was trolling and catching a lot of fish, they told us they were using a DT. 14 rapala in shad pattern,I didn't have that bait but tried others of same debth range. I finally caught one about 10'lbs and what a fight.My wife wants to go back this weekend, any help would be appreciated. I would luve for my wife to experence the fight.

thanks Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hybrid at barren need help

Exactly where do you all catch these larger hybrid? I hear of 5+ catches all the time, but I have never seen nor caught a hybrid over 3 in Barren, and I go almost all the time! Am I just not seeing something you all are seeing? I typically fish around the dam.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite way to catch them is on top water in the jumps, but that hasn't happened for me yet. Went out last Wed afternoon switched to bass after dark and bam, started catching hybrids on 1/2oz black/ blue jigs! Caught 9 first five weighed 42lb 14oz. Same thing Thurs and Sat night. Went again Tues night and same thing. All on points and bluffs 10'-15'. Stroke(hop aggressively) and they're nailing it. Keep hearing about the crankbait bite but hasn't worked for me. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught mine near the dam off the point to the beach, i talked to some one tues. night at barren that said he was catching them on jig also.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassbuddy View Post
    I caught mine near the dam off the point to the beach, i talked to some one tues. night at barren that said he was catching them on jig also.
    Rick
    That may have been me. I was down there also. I'm in a white with maroon stripe skeeter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 300ZX View Post
    That may have been me. I was down there also. I'm in a white with maroon stripe skeeter.
    I thought it may have been you. I have not heard any one useing jigs for hybrid, I was in the nitro. good luck
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassbuddy View Post
    ... I have not heard any one useing jigs for hybrid...
    Hybrids will slam a bucktail jig just like a striper will. Add a plastic trailer to match the size of the bait. Size of the jig should match the depth that you want to fish. Don't be afraid to throw a bucktail at Hybrids in the jumps either. The larger ones are often hanging below the topwater action. Casting or trolling, a bucktail will often produce.

Andrew