Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Etiquette or NOT?

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    DO NOT MOVE this is for non Tournament Anglers as well..

Today a couple of good ole boys decided to fish against the tournament fishermen. Came to the ramp curious about what was going on asking about the BFL National Championship out of Louisville.
    They then took off ahead of the gentlemen in the tournament and proceeded to fish some water in Harrods Creek. NOW... they themselves were not fishing a tournament.. just fun fishing.
    When POLITELY asked to allow one of the tournament anglers to fish a bank they refused and proceeded to put 3 fish in the LIVEWELL and not release them back into the creek. As it ended up the Angler caught fish and did well but the upshot is this..
    To me.. this tournament benefits everyone especially the anglers who were in my opinion being rude by continuing to fish water after being asked politely to allow the Amature Angler fishing for $100,000 to fish it. Beyond that is the simple fact that when local anglers are polite it reflects well on the community and helps in bringing tournaments like this to town. This helps provide tax money to Louisville and to Kentucky and the FLW is as I understand it making a nice contribution to the Department of Fish and Wildlife.
    Am I wrong in believing that a basically rude answer to the request and continued fishing was out of order and unethical especially when the boys were not fishing a tournament and proceeded to put the fish in the livewell.
    (They SAID they were not fishing a tournament)
    This is for all anglers to chime in...
    Bank Anglers in another situation were NOT asked to move, so I can not tell you what that situation would be.. but most bank anglers do not fish for bass.
    Jim Dicken
    Just because a person is fishing a tournament, doesn't make them "better" than that same "good-'ol-boy" that refused to give up his spot. This kind of mentallity is what turns other fishermen against the tournament angler. If this same guy came to the "honey hole" of the tournament fisherman, who was catching loads of fish, and asked if they would please move aside so that he could fish the spot, in hopes to feed his familly a nice dinner, do you honestly think he'd get to fish? It's NOT the anglers fault that money/fame was on the line. Besides, most GOOD tournament fishermen would have found multiple spots from which to catch their fish, just in case this very scenario was to happen to them. To even ASK someone, regardless of whether they are fishing a tournament for fame and forturne or for fun, that question is, in my opinion, lame. Just wait them out and fish the spot when they're done. It's that simple. If anyone was rude and unethical, I'd point MY finger at the tournament fisherman in this case.

Post Thanks / Like

Big time example of total rudeness and helping give the Professional / Semi Tournament Anglers a bad name.

My partner and I were fishing Lake X last weekend. were fishing in a cove not more than say 30 yards wide at the widest spot. Were not 50 yards from the rear of the cove and it is covered with stumps galore in the back as we can see.
    All of a sudden a big Champion boat with a 200 Mariner on the tail comes in past us not 10 yards from our boat up on plane in the cove. As the Champion gets just past us they stop the big motor and drop the trolling motor and start fishing towards the stumps in the back of the cove were in. These two fishermen in the Champion can plainly see that I'm headed towards the stumps and will be able to fish them with in the next 5 minutes or so. Doesn't matter, they continue to fish the stumps as I enter the area as well. Neither guy in the Champion catches a fish in the stumps, as we meet about half way into the stump area. No one says a word and as soon as the guy in the front of the Champion boat gets past my boat. He raises the trolling motor and starts up his big motor and away he goes full blast, like I wasn't even in the cove.

Total disrespect for others fishing I must say and didn't even say a word as if maybe...Say hey friend I'm fishing in a big tournament would you mind if I went ahead of your boat and hit the stumps ahead of you...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    Big time example of total rudeness and helping give the Professional / Semi Tournament Anglers a bad name.

My partner and I were fishing Lake X last weekend. were fishing in a cove not more than say 30 yards wide at the widest spot. Were not 50 yards from the rear of the cove and it is covered with stumps galore in the back as we can see.
    All of a sudden a big Champion boat with a 200 Mariner on the tail comes in past us not 10 yards from our boat up on plane in the cove. As the Champion gets just past us they stop the big motor and drop the trolling motor and start fishing towards the stumps in the back of the cove were in. These two fishermen in the Champion can plainly see that I'm headed towards the stumps and will be able to fish them with in the next 5 minutes or so. Doesn't matter, they continue to fish the stumps as I enter the area as well. Neither guy in the Champion catches a fish in the stumps, as we meet about half way into the stump area. No one says a word and as soon as the guy in the front of the Champion boat gets past my boat. He raises the trolling motor and starts up his big motor and away he goes full blast, like I wasn't even in the cove.

Total disrespect for others fishing I must say and didn't even say a word as if maybe...Say hey friend I'm fishing in a big tournament would you mind if I went ahead of your boat and hit the stumps ahead of you...
    Since no one said a word what made you think he was a tourney angler? Just curious, however coming within 10yds of you wasnt rude it was stupid. It just seems people see a bigger boat and engine zoom past them and say"tourney angler"....not always so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandguy1 View Post
    Let's see....how would you feel if the tournament angler was fishing the area and the non tournament angler asked them politely to move? I say who ever is there first has the right to fish it. Doesn't matter if you are fishing in a tournament or not. If I'm catching fish, why would I move? The Ohio River is tough enough. Just because you are fishing a tournament doesn't give you any special rights. As a matter of fact, most people here are so soured by the rudeness of the tournament guys, that they wouldn't move even if they were not catching fish.
    Pretty much my answer too. First come, first fished.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Reading through the post and replys, it is easy to see that alot of views are coming from personal encounters and how we have each been treated on the water at one time or another. Myself, I am a small tourney fisherman that a win will basically pay for your trip given there are enough boats fishing that day. I veiw it as whether I am fishing a tourney or for pleasure, it has alot to do with the ATTITUDE of the other fisherman. If I am fishing and approached by another fisherman who shows enough courtesy and appears polite in how he approaches my boat and the spot I am fishing and shows an interest in the spot I am on, I will back off and let him fish through but not give him the spot itself (answering Jim's question) if I am already on it. I have no problem being polite and courteous with others if given back the same. But on the other hand if I am fishing and get totally run over top of by another for the sake of a dollar, or out of pure ignorence I will and have (forgive me) try to bounce a 3/4 carolina sinker off his boat. IMO - It's all about the ATTITUDE shown toward each other!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VMAXX View Post
    Since no one said a word what made you think he was a tourney angler? Just curious, however coming within 10yds of you wasnt rude it was stupid. It just seems people see a bigger boat and engine zoom past them and say"tourney angler"....not always so.
    Should have mentioned that these two guys were dressed to the hilt in Tournament looking shirts with patches and a big Boat decal advertising his sponsor....... Shame on me..... 10 lashes with a jelly worm.....

Post Thanks / Like

At least they asked...but sometimes the answer is no. I personally would give the tourny anglers the bank if they asked in a nice way. If they tried to muscle me out or were rude i would give the same attitude back. .

Post Thanks / Like

Here,s my take on this--If you want to fish my spot,the first words out of your mouth better have ( SIR ) in it lol......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biggw View Post
    Here,s my take on this--If you want to fish my spot,the first words out of your mouth better have ( SIR ) in it lol......
    Lol! That's right on..

Post Thanks / Like

I agree if they ask nicely I would have moved. If that is how a guy makes his living or not that is still a lot of money. I have moved for people fishing a T or not. This is for the guys who bash tournament fisherman, I have been treated worse while on the water by non tournament fisherman than guys fishing a tournament. So if I keep the same mentality of others than we should ban fun fishing! Rudeness is rudeness no matter what sport it is. Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Well Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandguy1 View Post
    Let's see....how would you feel if the tournament angler was fishing the area and the non tournament angler asked them politely to move? I say who ever is there first has the right to fish it. Doesn't matter if you are fishing in a tournament or not. If I'm catching fish, why would I move? The Ohio River is tough enough. Just because you are fishing a tournament doesn't give you any special rights. As a matter of fact, most people here are so soured by the rudeness of the tournament guys, that they wouldn't move even if they were not catching fish.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 06-01-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If the angler was polite I would move. If I was catching bass in that place I would move. Those bass bother the heck out of me when I'm fishing for real fish like crappie! Bass fishing is so easy that I gave it up. Try a crappie tournament in the middle of summer! There's a challenge.