Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Big Bass Half The Cash Tourney

Fished The Big Bass Tourny This Week End On The Ohio River. Had A Great Time. I Really Like The Way The Tourney Is Set Up. Had A Good Week End Fishing. Weighed In Six Fish Over The Two Days. I Was Told If I Was Wearing A Big Bass Big Cash T-shirt I Would Win 50 Dollars Every Time I Weighed A Fish In, So I Bought One. I Decided To Chase 12 Inch Fish Instead Of That One Big Bite. When It Came Down To The Pay Out, They Didnt Pay For Second Or Third Place Hourly Places, Which They Told Me Was A Possibility Because Oflow Turn Out. But They Only Paid Me 30 Dollars Of The 300 Dollars In T- Shirt Money I Won. They Did Pay For The First Place Wins. Im Thankful For The Chance To Win What I Did, But When You Think Your Getting A Check For 700 Dollars And Only Get 330 And Spent 250 ItS REALLY DISCOURAGING.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Bass Half The Cash Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by FISH2MUCH View Post
    Fished The Big Bass Tourny This Week End On The Ohio River. Had A Great Time. I Really Like The Way The Tourney Is Set Up. Had A Good Week End Fishing. Weighed In Six Fish Over The Two Days. I Was Told If I Was Wearing A Big Bass Big Cash T-shirt I Would Win 50 Dollars Every Time I Weighed A Fish In, So I Bought One. I Decided To Chase 12 Inch Fish Instead Of That One Big Bite. When It Came Down To The Pay Out, They Didnt Pay For Second Or Third Place Hourly Places, Which They Told Me Was A Possibility Because Oflow Turn Out. But They Only Paid Me 30 Dollars Of The 300 Dollars In T- Shirt Money I Won. They Did Pay For The First Place Wins. Im Thankful For The Chance To Win What I Did, But When You Think Your Getting A Check For 700 Dollars And Only Get 330 And Spent 250 ItS REALLY DISCOURAGING.
    IF someone told you that they were wrong.. but it was in the rules stating that there was an extra $50.00 if you won the hourly and were wearing a shirt or hat. NOT FOR JUST WEIGHING A FISH.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    IF someone told you that they were wrong.. but it was in the rules stating that there was an extra $50.00 if you won the hourly and were wearing a shirt or hat. NOT FOR JUST WEIGHING A FISH.
    Jim
    THANKS JIM , THEY ONLY GOT ME FOR 120 FOR THE T- SHIRT RULE .

Post Thanks / Like

Jim
    Well, heres my 2 cents for what its worth, but since we didnt have the full number of entrys you are only going to get a penny!

First off there were many people who were saying that if you weighed and placed in that hour that you would receive $50 bonus if you had the hat or shirt. My suggestion is if you want this tournament to succeed so badly as you have been posting all over this board for the past week, lets make sure the people involved are giving the correct information. That is if that is what is wanted to be given. Maybe we are to be lead to believe whatever we need to hear to fish this tournament. I was lead to believe that it was $50 to place bonus for the hat or shirt. Well there went $50 for the second place fish we weighed as well as the $60 for the prize money for the second place fish that was not paid because "we didnt have enough entries"

Which brings me to my next point about the entries. Why is this information just now coming out. Looks like you would have an idea of whether or not you would even be close to the amount needed before the tournament even began to make an educated guess about how many people will be fishing. If you are not even close, maybe let people know that the entries are down and the payout will not be what is advertised! But then again if you did that, you would not be able to draw in the people who think there is a complete possiblity of winning an hourly prize for 1st, 2nd or 3rd. The tournament officals advertised the payout of $20,000 and up to $50,000 depending on the entries, why was the hourly payouts not done the same way instead of saying it was in the rules all along. As being in the rules, that is fine, but in my eyes, this is false advertising. Again, is that what is going on with this tournament, do anything to get the tournament anglers to shell out there money to fish for this "Dream Paycheck!" When i decided to fish on Saturday, i was completely realistic about my chances of catching a fish large enough to surpass Kevin's, the chances were slim. However, I did feel like i had chances to win some money by entering in the tournament, which is why most anglers fish tournaments, to win at least their money back. My thoughts were on the hourly prizes, not the big fish. A fisherman can not dictate the size of the fish that bites his or her lure, they can only fish and take what is given.

In closing I think the concept of the Tournament is a great idea. I allows the Ohio river to be used for many miles and allows different areas to reak the benefits of tourists should this tournament ever become the real image that the creators saw when this was started. However, I do not feel with the way this tournament has been ran and handled over the last 2 years will allow that to happen. I believe the perception you were trying to paint was how and why someone who fishes tournaments wouldnt want to put up $85 a day to fish for $20,000 and up to $50,000. Lets be realistic here, everyone who fished was able to win the grand prize, but what is the true cost for all 3 days and not winning the big prize. An angler could easily spend $800-$1000 by the time entry, gas, food and hotel, should the angler be from out of town and up to $500 for someone who is local. Thats alot more money than just $85 as you continued to belittle to everyone who would read this forum and post their responses. I will promise you, more than $85 is spent in a day fishing and now after expecting $260 from Saturday, I might get just over $100. All in all, this tournament is really nothing more than a lottery ticket, but your ticket costs $85 each day just to get into the pot, then you must spend more to really have a chance at the real prize.

I guess in my eyes this tournament reminds me about an ole nursery rhime, The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf! We all know that rhime and how many times he cried wolf. We also know what happened the last time he cried wolf, NO ONE CAME TO HELP! So if this tournament is going to "cry wolf" as i feel like it has, then the anglers are not going to come and fish!

James Collier
    Grayson, KY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterjames View Post
    I guess in my eyes this tournament reminds me about an ole nursery rhime, The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf! We all know that rhime and how many times he cried wolf. We also know what happened the last time he cried wolf, NO ONE CAME TO HELP! So if this tournament is going to "cry wolf" as i feel like it has, then the anglers are not going to come and fish!

James Collier
    Grayson, KY
    No one cried wolf. YOU SIGNED a statement when you entered saying you understood the rules.. IF YOU signed it without reading then shame on you.
    I have talked to the KRA and we agree that the Shirt and hat thing was not handled exactly right.. STILL it is in the rules.. YES some of the Assistance they got at the ramps was wrong in what they said. It should have been addressed, it was not.
    You guys seem to be missing the main point.
    The KRA made the effort to bring you a big money tournament for an affordable entry fee. One that was in the range of guys who can not afford to fish big circuits or have the time to.
    They LOST money on the tournament not once but twice.
    Preregistration was over 100 entries this year.. last year 6.
    In the end that would indicate a large turnout the DAYS of the Tournament but in the end FEWER signed up at the ramps than last year. YOU TELL ME.. the pre-registration was great indicator by numbers that more would fish the tournament. IN the end there were more paid days yet fewer anglers. How do you predict things like that.. Friday was busier than Saturday???????????
    Sunday was slower than Saturday??????????
    How in the heck do you know? How do you prepare for that?
    The KRA paid out EVERY PENNY of what came in and MORE!
    They have lost 2 times and you talk about shirt money?
    Give me a break.
    There were 50 guys at the dinner talking about how they enjoyed the tournament.. How about some of you guys chiming in?
    Jim Dicken

Post Thanks / Like

I had a ball during the tournament. But I didn't fish it for the hourly money. And I could have one a few of the hours. However I decided to put all my money on that big bite. So we ran along way and gave up the chance for hourly weigh ins. I hope KRA does this again but I can't blame them for not. If you are out to win a couple hundred bucks go fish the local rough river tournaments.

As far as costing to fish I took a lick and I am still not complaining. I tore up 2 fish finders and chipped more lower unit.

My partner bought new line the day before the tournament but it was bad and he broke off Saturday on a good fish. But that is the way it goes.

Jim, I support you 100% and hope that someone other than me had a good time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for a great tournament and I hope to do it again next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FISH2MUCH View Post
    WOULD I FISH IT NEXT YEAR , YES. YOU CANT BEAT THE 100% PAYOUT OR SOUNDS LIKE MORE. THE PEOPLE RUNNING THE COX"S PARK CHECK IN WERE VERY COOL. THE GRAND PRIZE AND BIG FISH IN EACH POOL PRIZE IS WORTH CHASING. ITS FUN CHASING HOURLY PRIZES IF ONLY WE HAD A BETTER TURN OUT. I THINK THIS TOURNEY HAS POTENTIAL OF REALLY TAKING OFF. IF THEY COULD GET A SPONSER TO HELP COVER THE HOURLY PAYOUTS,EASIER SAID THAN DONE, UNTIL THIS TOURNEY TAKES OFF. IF BASS PRO SHOP WOULD ONLY GIVE THIS TOURNEY 1% OF WHAT WE HAVE ALL SPENT THERE !
    BETTER LUCK AND BETTER INFORMED NEXT YEAR!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't ruin a good thing

Guys the best way to convince someone to stop doing something great is to complain or nit-pick at the rules. Take it from someone who does a 140% + payout tournament and is amazed when people complain about little things. That 140% payback does not take into account the $40,000+ in expenses we absorb for putting all of these on as well.

I'm pretty sure the people doing the Big Cash Tournament ( I have never met any of them so I can't be accused of anything) are putting in some major time putting this together, have plenty of expenses after seing the fliers and paid out major cash for fishing on the river, way over 100% payback.

Everyone complains that tournaments like this aren't around and then when they come to your neighborhood you complain about small things that are apparently in the rules.

Just don't complain if they cancel the tournament next year based on the complaints, I know a lot of people who stopped doing great tournaments because of the headache and constant bashing they took by anglers.

From everything I've seen it looks and sounds like they ran an awesome tournament with a crazy low turn-out for that kind of money and spent a lot of time and money to get to that point. Let's be thankfull for what we have.

The glass can't always be half empty.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

IN the end there were more paid days yet fewer anglers. How do you predict things like that.. Friday was busier than Saturday???????????
    Sunday was slower than Saturday??????????
    How in the heck do you know? How do you prepare for that?
    Jim Dicken

I think that one is easily explainable...... Previous commitments. Commitments for fishing usually happen on the weekend. For example, Renegade was scheduled for Sunday on Nolin. I'd imagine they had at least 100 boats, if not more. People in Renegade have a lot of time and money invested in that circuit. They're not only fishing for the money at the tournament, but they're fishing for the classic, Team of the year, etc. They'll be hard pressed to give that up for another tournament.

Given the number of circuits and tournaments that happen every weekend, I'm not surprised that Friday was the best turnout day. No one had previous commitments on Friday.

Nothing great is built instantly. The big circuits like Renegade, BFL, even BASS started from Humble beginnings. Ray Scott lost money in his early days of BASS. He stuck with it, and people came to it. The organizers of this tournament have to operate with the same mindset if they want it to last. If they stick with it, people will come. People have to get in the "habit" of fishing this tournament.

I've been critical of the river, but I've never been critical of this tournament, or the people that run it. I think this could work if they're willing to stick to it. As critical as I've been of the river, I'm contemplating fishing it next year.

The reason is because I kind of know the winner. I've fished in tournaments with him before, and there's been times that I did better than he did. As silly as that sounds, it makes me think I have a chance. (Kevin, don't take that as an insult. You're a heckuva fisherman. LOL).

Post Thanks / Like

I've not been on for several weeks, and missed this opportunity. No big deal to me though. I sent Jim D. and invitation last year to fish the tourney with me this year.... I guess he must have fished with someone else... I don't know, never heard from him.

What I do find interesting is that almost all the comments are the same as last year's comments, same people defending it, and same type of complaints.

Oh well..... guess it was a good thing I missed it.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Basswipe;297592]I think that one is easily explainable...... Previous commitments. Commitments for fishing usually happen on the weekend. For example, Renegade was scheduled for Sunday on Nolin. I'd imagine they had at least 100 boats, if not more. People in Renegade have a lot of time and money invested in that circuit. They're not only fishing for the money at the tournament, but they're fishing for the classic, Team of the year, etc. They'll be hard pressed to give that up for another tournament.

Given the number of circuits and tournaments that happen every weekend, I'm not surprised that Friday was the best turnout day. No one had previous commitments on Friday.

Nothing great is built instantly. The big circuits like Renegade, BFL, even BASS started from Humble beginnings. Ray Scott lost money in his early days of BASS. He stuck with it, and people came to it. The organizers of this tournament have to operate with the same mindset if they want it to last. If they stick with it, people will come. People have to get in the "habit" of fishing this tournament.

I've been critical of the river, but I've never been critical of this tournament, or the people that run it. I think this could work if they're willing to stick to it. As critical as I've been of the river, I'm contemplating fishing it next year.

]The reason is because I kind of know the winner. I've fished in tournaments with him before, and there's been times that I did better than he did. As silly as that sounds, it makes me think I have a chance. (Kevin, don't take that as an insult. You're a heckuva fisherman. LOL).[/QUOTE

Yes Kevin is a heck of a fisherman, he totally spanked everyone at the KBFN opener at Rough River in Apr, he had over 19lbs,with two over six kickers, 2nd in that tourny was a 9+lbs, and Danny G is also a good fisherman, they are a good team. And i also agree that their were several tourneys that weekend, the KBF had one at Carrolton Sun, I had a club tourney Sat at Nolin, that lake was packed. Yes we as tourney fisherpeople, are very over extended there needs to be more communication between all tourneys so there can be better turnout's and some less conflict.