Search Fishin.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Herrington Monster

Here's another copy and paste for ya!

http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?module=displaystory&story_id=16141&format=html

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some background.....

MIGRATING BIRD EVOKES CHILLING TALE OF MONSTER
    Lexington Herald-Leader (KY)
    January 6, 1994
    Author: Don Edwards Herald-Leader columnist
    Estimated printed pages: 2

I was driving on New Circle Road yesterday when I saw a pelican flying south. It was a strange sight in a snowy landscape, but there it was.

A couple of years ago, a flamingo was found in Kentucky during cold weather. A lot of people didn't believe that one, either, but there it was. It was turned over to the Louisville Zoo, where it was nursed back to health.

Weird cold weather phenomena always remind me of long ago and the Great Winter Search for the Herrington Lake Monster.

So return with us now to the 1960s, a decade that followed the UFO scares and Cold War paranoia of the 1950s with its own brand of madness.

Back then, some people thought that a 20-foot-long creature with a snout- like face and a curly tail was living in Herrington Lake. Witnesses claimed to have seen it.

Compared with the large lakes in the state -- Kentucky, Barkley and Cumberland -- Herrington is a mere swimming pool.

And yet, it is large enough to hide something in. About 35 miles long over 3,600 acres and once said to be up to 250 feet deep in spots, it still seemed an unlikely home for a sea serpent.

Where would the serpent have come from? Herrington Lake was created in 1925 when the Dix River was dammed.

It had been living in an underground body of water connected to a cave, the monster buffs theorized. When the river was dammed, the cave was flooded and gave the serpent access to the new lake.

Jack Upton, one of the buffs, was a guy who used to pester me constantly in those days. Jack was convinced that when the lake froze in winter, the monster would be easier to spot. It would come to the surface for air. Or maybe it would go into hibernation and you would be able to see it lying there in suspended animation just below the ice.

Once Jack even hired a plane to fly him over the lake while he took photographs. Later, he studied every shadow in the photos looking for monster shapes.

I was crazy enough to go with him one time. I thought: "Hey, what if the thing's really there? What a story this will be. I'll be famous!"

So there we were clinging to a cliff. And what was that floating under the water? See it? That long, dark shape? Look, here it comes to the top! It's a ... log.

That was the only kind of stuff we saw.

I have no idea where Jack is now, but if he called me today and said, "Hey, Don! I've found it! Come on down here!" -- well, I would just quietly hang up the phone.

Monsters are not as important to me as they used to be. Maybe life these days is monstrous enough by itself.

Also, I'm looking for cultural activities that don't involve freezing your appendages off. For instance, my big project for 1994 is to promote a Russ Meyer Film Festival in Lexington.

Meyer was a cult film director of the 1960s whose movies include such works of art as Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and Beneath the Valley of the Ultravixens.

Those two will lead off the festival, and then I plan to follow up with Mud Honey, Motor Psycho, Mondo Topless and Faster, Pussycat...Kill! Kill!

Maybe we'll throw in a sea serpent on stage.

Wow. The '60s really were crazy, weren't they?

And Who could forget the great monster panic of 62'

THE MONSTER PANIC OF '62 STOPPED STATE IN ITS TRACKS
    Lexington Herald-Leader (KY)
    November 11, 1992
    Author: Don Edwards Herald-Leader columnist
    Estimated printed pages: 2

Some anniversaries are too weird to be recognized anywhere but in this column, and here's one of them:

The year marks the 30th anniversary of The Great Kentucky Monster Panic of 1962.

Ah yes, '62. JFK in the White House. Bobby Vee singing "Take Good Care of My Baby" and Shelley Fabares singing "Johnny Angel." Rock Hudson and Doris Day movies. And talk about weird -- the top show on TV that fall was "The Beverly Hillbillies."

And then it happened -- a monster sighting near Bedford in Trimble County.

The people who saw it said it was about 6 feet tall, walked like a gorilla, had arms that reached its knees, and was covered with dark hair.

And it left tracks!

A professor of zoology at Hanover College in Indiana was called in to examine the tracks and determine if the thing had been a bear or maybe just a big dog and too many six-packs.

The professor studied the tracks. He reported that he couldn't identify them.

While all this was going on, four young people double dating in a car near Mount Vernon in Rockcastle County said a big, hairy creature on all fours hopped up to their car and terrorized them by growling.

That really got things going. Monster reports began flooding in. The police yawned, but radio disc jockeys sensed a hit. They put monster-report calls on the air ("Did it attack you, Dwayne? How loud did you scream, Debbie?"), played "Purple People Eater"-type songs between calls and organized "monster sock hops" to help the fad along.

Then, in October, a new song called "Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kickers hit the top of the charts.

There would be other grand Kentucky monster moments in later years, such as in 1972 when a University of Kentucky professor reported a sea serpent with a snout nose and a curly tail in Herrington Lake; and in 1975 when new monsters (this time making oinking sounds like giant hogs) returned to Trimble County.

But the Monster Panic of '62 was a classic. It was like Cold War paranoia, UFO movies at the drive-in and a little local hell-raising all rolled up together and dusted with fun.

So long ago, so long ago. And now I have to confess to something: I miss monster panics. Whatever they were, they weren't boring.

Thought these would help push the story along!

Keep on chuckin'

Post Thanks / Like

I've seem some pretty big alligator gar in that lake... Dan

Post Thanks / Like

yeah we've seen some big gar as well. I would lean toward the sturgeon side except the **** thing swam funny. I realized that when I started this thread that I would get some ridicule, but we definitely saw something that day that just doesn't belong there and thanks to the guys who have admitted seeing something weird there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Herrington Monster

All in fun, alot of strange things are seen all over, and alot of strange things happen all over that can't really be explained

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Herrington monster

In 1970 I Lived in the Shalom Cottages on Wells Landing Road in Danville. A friend and I threw our fishing gear on an air mattress and swam across the lake to a rock ledge on the other side to fish off the steep cliff dropoff. The lake water was deep at the time. The ledge was only about 25 feet wide and stuck out about 3’ where we could fish from. There was a sheer rock wall behind us upward for about 30’ to the tree line. We fished with no luck until it just began to start turning dark. About 40 yards out we noticed something large in the water moving toward us as if doing a breast stroke. It approached to about 20 yards an stopped. It was getting dark and it was hard to make out colors or fine details, but it was facing us and we could make out the head fairly well. It was large, about 3’ in diameter, partially submerged with what appeared to be large round black eyes situated at the front; not on the sides like a fish. It had what appeared to be two “spouts” or horn-like structures on top of its head. The darned thing just hung out there in front of us directly in out path back across the lake as if was treading water. We did not know what to do, trapped on that ledge with that thing in front of us. We figured we had no choice but to get back in the water unless we wanted to spend the night on the ledge. So we started gathering our gear and when we looked back, the thing was gone. The scariest part of this encounter was having to jump into that water, not knowing where it was that thing was, and swimming back across the lake. It was the scariest swim I ever made. It was dark by the time we made it to the dock at the cottages. Those of you who have fished that lake know how deep and dark and downright scary those waters are. Try swimming across it in the dark with an eerie felling that something is going to grab you from below at any moment. I never dipped a toe back in that lake again. We told our story to some who thought we made it up and to others who accepted it wholeheartedly, wanting it to be true (which it was). I daw pictures of the thing’s head when I tell the story in detail to people. Believe me, there is something strange in the lake.
    Last edited by Chief Lew; 11-15-2017 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to state location

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only fished Herrington once that I can remember. There were three of us and we were in our mid 20s so this was a LONG time ago. We really didn't know what we were doing and where we were fishing. I do remember catching a few bass early then switching to panfish stuff once it got sunny and hot, then having to jump in when it got really really hot. We were back in some area where there was a pretty soft flat and the water had decent visibility but wasn't crystal clear. All of a sudden we see three or four really long shadows moving together in fairly shallow water. Doing what young\stupid and not young\stupid fishermen do, we cast whatever we had at them and of course got zero attention. They were gone as fast as they came but we got a really good look at them moving around before they swam off. I figured they were carp but if they were they were HUGE carp. These looked like 3-5 ft shadows in the water. Of course the shadows probably do get bigger the longer you've had time to think about them. ha!! But they were much larger than your standard lake fish regardless of what the size was. I really hadn't thought of it for years until I read this thread. I don't think it was monsters and it probably doesn't have much to do with what the OP saw, but it was a cool memory regardless.

Post Thanks / Like
    some good reading for sure, and reminds me of a guy I used to work with, he would tell us guys he had 7 ghost that lived with him, and he new their names, some of the guys would give him a hard time over the stories he would tell, but I just told him to be nice to them, they need a place to live to, and he would tell me a ghost story about every day, it was like listening to a young father talking about his children, but the ghost he had living with him weren't children, they were older folks from the 1800 century, he would describe the clothes they wore, he said while he played his guitar sitting on the couch, that one of the ghost like to pull on his hair from behind him, he said once he was watching tv with his girlfriend and a couple of the ghost came and told him, there was a water line broken in the kitchen, and he went to turn the water valve off and when he came back to the family room his girl friend was gone, i asked him did she see the ghost and he said no she didn't see them, but she ask him who he was talking to and he told her the ghost that lived there with him was telling him he had a water leak, he said it was hard for him to keep a woman because of the ghost,he said one of the ghost women, that was there didn't look like the others, he said she must have been from the deep south because of the way she dressed, didn't mean to change the thread, just thought some folks see things others can't or don't, this guy said he lives with 7 ghost and when he talks about them he calls them by name, and when my daughter was a little girl she had an imaginary friend, or thats what we thought, because we couldn't see her, but my daughter talked to her and would tell us how long her hair was, i don't remember for sure how old she was when she stopped playing with her little friend we couldn't see, around 4 years old i think, some folks just see things others can't or don't, and because we never see them don't mean others don't... and back to fishing Herrington lake, I've fished it a few times and the biggest swimming thing that I ever saw came out of the water of Herrington was about 3 pound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    It was 7 years ago, and in mid November all the classic were over and I had the lake to myself it was on a Wednesday night around 1 in the mourning I had just left the nowake zone at Kingsmill and it was a full moon that night I started fishing the dark banks on the outside bend just before the cut.
    I was throwing a 12" bluefleck powerworm when I felt the boat rock from a small wave I turn around to see were the boat was at and like to have jumped out of the boat there was a HUGH log around 25' foot long right beside the boat I could have touched it with the rod ,man I did not see it when I came in there so after getting over it I made a cast and thought about it and turn to look at it and it was gone!!! I got out the Q-beam and there was not a log insight no were. I thought to myself could alog that big float to the surface stay up for afew minutes and sink back down? Well I got me a shot of coffee and a cig and eased on down to the cut by the bridge I just made a cast to the edge of the cut when I heard some thing behind me I turn to look and in the full moon I could see something that looked like my log rubbing against the other bridge support across the lake needless to say I got the flip out of there. Monster or not it was big and alive.
    I can remember that night like it was yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone informed Jeremy Wade of this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trentonc2000 View Post
    "black" submarine? hehe
    yellow submarine we all live in a yellow submarine

Post Thanks / Like

Yep

So back in the late 80's early 90's my family and I would summer vaca at qwinn island when it was a nice place to stay! I was very young and would walk the banks/bluffs and cast around as my grandpa would finish his last cup of coffee before heading out in our jonboat for some fishing. One morning I was casting from the bluff wall as you turn the corner heading towards the creek behind qwinn island. I noticed just about the samething that surfaced several times. I never saw a head or a tail but the creature/fish was solid black and took several seconds to roll/surface being very young I immediately ran back to the cabin to tell my pappaw what I had witnessed. He simply explained that it was carp rolling. Well after coming across this story it took me back to the very day this happened! I am not much in believing in monsters or miths but being an avid angler my entire life I know now that this was no carp sturgeon maybe but no carp. I was also fishing with my cousin off the dock by the boat ramp when we were around 10 years old and I caught a crab...yes a crab my cousin witnessed this first hand and no one in our family would beleave us as we had no proof because he had only clamped down on my nighcrawler with it's claws and let go only to head back to the dark depths of Herrington. I'm sure many believe this story to be fictitious but it really doesn't matter to me I know what I saw and caught and so did my cousin.