Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Herrington Monster

Ok...here goes. Back in 1977 I was fishing with my uncle and his best friend during the day. We had put in at Chimney Rock, but I'm not exactly sure what part of the lake we were on when this happened. Something surfaced about 15 ft away form the boat. All we could see was it's back. It's color and skin texture reminded us of a manatee,(but it was much larger) and it swam like a whale or a dolphin. By this I mean all that ever came out of the water was it's back which was longer than our boat and at least 3 feet wide from the top of it down to the water...not sure how much was still in the water. We watched this thing for over 10 minutes in broad daylight. We never saw it's head or it's tail and then it just disappeared. We were in such shock that we forgot that we had a camera in the boat. My uncle was here this past weekend and brought it up. Noboy ever believed us so we had just put it in the past. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this at Herrington? And no, we had not been drinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Herrington Monster

A lochness monster in Herrington? That's a pretty wild story there. Anything is possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Herrington Monster

I was born and raised in Danville, have spent many days on Herrington, I've never seen anything like that, but several years ago there was an article in the Danville Daily Disappointment about a pig monster in Herrington Lake. It had the body of a fish, the head and tail of a pig, and was several feet long. Not sure what those guys were smokin that day but it must have been strong!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the pig monster story as well, but that doesn't fit the description of what we saw. I have never seen anything this big in freshwater and we only saw the back of it. We all wish that we had remembered that we had the camera....we were just in shock when it came up.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I know of that lives in fresh water and grows that big is a sturgeon, but A) I seriously doubt there are any sturgeon in Herrington Lake, and B) I've never heard of them swimming on the surface like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a firm believer that ANYTHING is possible. I'm not saying that there is or isn't a Herrington Monster, but I believe it's possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should clarify. If he says he saw it, I believe him. And when I said I'd never heard of sturgeon surfacing... well, a Google search tells me I was wrong, they do, just not very often. Herrington was impounded almost 80 years ago, wasn't it? Time enough for a sturgeon to grow pretty **** big. What do you think, Cumberlandguy, is that a possibility?

Post Thanks / Like

That was our first thought as well, but it was just too big. We were in a 17 ft boat and the part that we could see was longer than the boat. I have never seen anything like it.

Post Thanks / Like

"black" submarine? hehe

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Herrington Monster

There's always been a rumor that divers went down to examine Dix Dam and reported giant catfish big enough to swallow a VW Bug could this big your monster?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Herrington Monster

I believe it is a cousin to the Bluelick monster near Junction City. LoL How bout it wormin. Did you ever run across it on herrington?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandguy1 View Post
    Ok...here goes. Back in 1977 I was fishing with my uncle and his best friend during the day. We had put in at Chimney Rock, but I'm not exactly sure what part of the lake we were on when this happened. Something surfaced about 15 ft away form the boat. All we could see was it's back. It's color and skin texture reminded us of a manatee,(but it was much larger) and it swam like a whale or a dolphin. By this I mean all that ever came out of the water was it's back which was longer than our boat and at least 3 feet wide from the top of it down to the water...not sure how much was still in the water. We watched this thing for over 10 minutes in broad daylight. We never saw it's head or it's tail and then it just disappeared. We were in such shock that we forgot that we had a camera in the boat. My uncle was here this past weekend and brought it up. Noboy ever believed us so we had just put it in the past. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this at Herrington? And no, we had not been drinking.
    Being as old as I am, I have heard several stories about BIG things in Herrington. There was an article in the Courier Journal many years ago about a Loch Ness type monster seen several times by folks crossing the bridge near Danville. The BIG CATFISH story is common around any large dam in the United States especially the dams and the rivers in Kentucky. I had not heard of the PIG FISH rumor, which makes me wonder how I missed it all these years.. LOL.
    Sturgeon may exist in the lakes in Kentucky. They used to be here and well could have managed to grow to monstrous proportions. After all they do get to over 12 feet long on the Columbia River. A 200 pound sturgeon hooked by a Catfisherman would handle even the stoutest tackle rather easily. If it got to larger proportions it would be no contest at all. Problem is where are the little baby sturgeon? Possible I guess that the spawning areas have disappeared so they are not spawning.
    Good story.. Nice to hear it again.. next time take a picture..
    Jim Dicken