Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate match fishing new format

Ultimate Match Fishing to pit the best anglers from the BASS Elite Series against the top pros from the FLW Tournament Trail in 2007

Cincinnati, Ohio -- Jim Kramer, Executive Producer of Reel in the Outdoors, Ltd, a Cincinnati, Ohio based television Production Company, has announced the 2007 return of Ultimate Match Fishing (UMF), a unique bass fishing tournament event that will pit 12 of the world's best professional bass anglers against each other in head-to-head single elimination competition. The made-for-television event, produced in high definition video, will be an original Outdoor Channel production set to air in the third and fourth quarters of this year, and will be hosted again in 2007 by veteran professional angler and host of Outdoor Channel's Angler on Tour, Joe Thomas.

This season, in a bold new format, Ultimate Match Fishing will match six of the top professional anglers from the BASS Elite Series field against six of the top anglers from the FLW Tour. Confirmed to take part from the FLW Tour is Anthony Gagliardi, the 2006 FLW Angler of the Year; Brent Ehrler, 2006 Wal-Mart FLW Tour Champion; Gabe Bolivar, the 2006 FLW Rookie of the Year; Dave Lefebre, FLW Series Angler of the Year, Legendary Angler and Classic Champion (1983) Larry Nixon and Luke Clausen, the returning UMF Champion, Bassmaster Classic Champion (2006) and FLW Tour Champion (2004).

Anglers representing the BASS Elite Series trail include 4-time Bassmaster Classic qualifier and tournament champion Kelly Jordan; Jason Quinn, a 3-time Classic qualifier and tournament champion; Dave Wolack, the 2005 Bassmaster Rookie of the Year and Elite Series Major event champion (2006); Zell Rowland, a legendary 15-time Bassmaster Classic qualifier and Greg Hackney, a 3-time BASS event champion and 4-time Classic qualifier. The sixth and final spot on the BASS team has been awarded to the 2007 Bassmaster Classic champion Boyd Duckett.

The first 6 episodes will feature BASS Pros and FLW pros facing each other in a "Divisional" Series. Championship week will feature BASS pros squaring off against their FLW counterparts. The series finale will feature a special 2-part championship match. With a total prize purse payout of $103,000, the finals will culminate in the crowning of the Ultimate Match Fishing Champion, who will take home a grand prize of $50,000.

The opening round matches will feature: (BASS Elite Series Anglers) Kelly Jordon vs. Dave Wolak; Greg Hackney vs. Boyd Duckett; Zell Rowland vs. Jason Quinn; (FLW Tour Anglers) Larry Nixon vs. Gabe Bolivar; Anthony Gagliardi vs. Dave Lefebre; Luke Clausen vs. Brent Erhler.

Once again, in a notable departure from other tournaments, the UMF event will place two anglers in the same boat, with each getting the front of the boat for half of the fishing day. The back-of-the-boat angler will be prohibited from moving to or fishing in the front half of the boat and vice versa for the angler who has the bow. Anglers will switch positions every 90 minutes over four periods. All other standard tournament rules will apply and be enforced by UMF Referee Mark Randolph.

According to host Joe Thomas, "The NFL has the Super Bowl; Major League Baseball has the World Series, now it's time to bring together the top pro bass anglers from the FLW and BASS for a showdown on the water. And Ultimate Match Fishing is the best way to do it. The line has been drawn between these two premier tournament trails and the only place to see them clash one-on-one is on Outdoor Channel."

UMF Referee Mark Randolph is also looking forward to the event. "These guys are going to be fishing for more than money; they're going to be fishing for pride and respect. Do I expect fireworks? You bet. Do I expect controversy? Absolutely. But I'm ready. It's time to make fishing a contact sport! I've had the best in the business try to break me down and get inside my head but I don't play favorites. The rules are the rules and I'm going to call 'em like I see 'em. Why? Because I'm the referee and I say so, that's why."

The first six matches will be produced on Alabama's legendary Lake Guntersville in conjunction with Goose Pond Marina and the Jackson County, Alabama Chamber of Commerce Tourism Office. The championship rounds will be produced on the central portion of Kentucky Lake in conjunction with Buchanan's Resort and Marina and the Northwest Tennessee Department of Tourism.

The 3rd season of Ultimate Match Fishing will debut Monday, July 2, 2007 at 6pm and 10:30pm as part of Outdoor Channel's new Monday Night Fishing Block, presented by Skeeter Performance Fishing Boats, B & W Hitches and Optima Batteries. Outdoor Channel, The Adventure Starts Here!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultimate match fishing new format

Great news, can't wait to see if their are any more temper tantrums thrown this year. Plus see some mighty fine fishing......

One rule I'd like to see changed is don't let a guy who has the lead take the guy in the back of the boat out to 30 foot of water for the last quarter. Make them fight it out till the time limit is up....I could see maybe the last 10 minutes, but not a whole 90 minute period. Just my view.... And I'm stickin to it.....

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Ultimate match fishing new format

Is any body going to record this on DVD?

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote: Do I expect fireworks? You bet. Do I expect controversy? Absolutely. But I'm ready. It's time to make fishing a contact sport!

Completely disagree with that. I despise anything that looks to create controversy going in.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Ultimate match fishing new format

They are also shooting CMF college match fishing at lake onieda in new york right now, they took 8 schools this year. Hoping UK can bring it home since EKU isn't in this one, they might have a chance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    Great news, can't wait to see if their are any more temper tantrums thrown this year. Plus see some mighty fine fishing......

One rule I'd like to see changed is don't let a guy who has the lead take the guy in the back of the boat out to 30 foot of water for the last quarter. Make them fight it out till the time limit is up....I could see maybe the last 10 minutes, but not a whole 90 minute period. Just my view.... And I'm stickin to it.....
    I agree, when it's allowed so be it, rules are rules but if it was changed to fish till the end i would enjoy it more.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the rule about going to nonfishable water. I know its legal, but I wish it wasn't. Glad they're having it again this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Why was this moved to the tourney board?