Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Docking or running head lights

Last night I almost ran over a pontoon on Barren and again this morning on Nolin. I was running between the islands last night and a boat appeared in front of me. I saw the shadow in the fog and the white light so I steered away from the light only to find my self heading head on for it. The docking lights he had on hid the green and red and I thought he was going away from me. Luckily no one was hurt but this morning running slow in the fog at Nolin Almost the same thing. These guys need a boating class. the lights are on the front and back for a reason and if you cant see after dark DONT GO.
    I have sent in a official complaint to KDFW and so has most of my buddies I Encourage all to do the same. NO HEAD LIGHTS I will cost someone a life!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Docking or running head lights

I disagree 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

I to disagree. They sure have saved me a many of a time for hitting logs and shallow points. I turn them off if they are getting ready to shine in someones direction but as soon as I pass or turn I got them back on. As far as I know they are illegal, but I feel much better with them.

Post Thanks / Like

i gotta agree with that ,i was at green a few weeks ago and a pontoon with the fog lights on the front deck was blinding me,its kinda like the new headlights on cars they look like they are on high beam,like you said if you cant see after dark dont go or buy a spot light

Post Thanks / Like

So a guy running a couple of weeks ago with headlights at Cumberland....water patrol spent a long time with that guy..LOL...

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I disagree, and here's why. Just applying some food for thought.

a. If you saw the white light in the fog, why did you continue at full speed toward it? Conditions of limited visibility require a skipper to slow to a speed that will allow him to see and steer clear of any other water borne object, be it a floating tree, broke down boat, or pontoon with headlights on. If you are operating your boat so fast that you can not avoid another boat, then you are in fact operating dangerously, in that particular set of circumstances.

b. Why did you get that close to another boat at night, in the fog, in the dark, anyway?

c. Do you fish the Ohio River? I do. Tugs pushing barges always have a searchlight on looking to see where the bank is, looking for other craft, and or things in the water near or in front of them. Its save navigation that is the reason they do this. Given they are allowed to operate a a ZENON 1KW searchlight (produces in excess of 80 million candle power )or a the 2.5KW (over 130 million candlepower), you want to tell me I can't run on that body of water with 500 watt headlights cause they blind you? Good luck pulling over a push boat.

d. Why single out pontoons? I've seen guide boats rocketing down the lake with headlights on, and that makes good sense to me. With the headlights on, they are more likely to see the log that threatens the safety of their craft, and they are more likely to see the poor boater whose battery died and is sitting with a dead engine in the lake with no lights on. You want to tell the guides they have to turn them off?

e. What about all the bass boats I see running with remote control searchlight on the bow that generates 5-10 million candle power? Want to tell me my 500 watt headlights (comparison something like sun light to moon light), is still a major problem to you?

f. They are HEADLIGHTS, operative word "HEAD". What part of the boat did you think they were mounted on, the stern?

g. Given he had a 5 watt stern light lit, and 500 watts on the bow, do you really want me to buy that you could not distinquish which way he was going? Di you really think he was backing up?

h. And to the guy who wrote "if you can't see in the dark, don't go or buy a spot light", I got to say don't you realize the spotlight is brighter than the dock lights? You mean a SPOT is okay, but a DOCK light is not?!?!?!?! Isn't that like saying "don't shoot me with that bee-bee gun, go get your 30-0t-six and shoot me.......gaaaaaaahhhhh?

Man, for YOUR safety, cause I love ya man, just slow down in the dark! DRIVING TOO FAST IN THE DARK, ON A BOAT, COSTS LIFES, NOT ILLUMINATION.

Last thing: "On a vessel under way between sunset and sunrise, an operator shall not display other lights which could be mistaken for the lights specified in this section." 301 KAR 6:020. Boating safety equipment.

Help me to understand how a red bow light or green bow light, or white stern light, looks like a headlight beam? They do not look anthing remotely a like, and so are not likely to be :"mistaken" for the lighting required. Want to get fussie? Take the light bulbs out of your helm tach, hour meter, kill the fish finder, and speedometer, and teh radio/cd player when you run at ngiht cause they got lights, and I might just mistake them for a red/green/or white required nav light.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

WHOOPS MISSED ONE:

"If not sure of the course or direction an approaching vessel will take, shall immediately slow to idle speed until the other vessel has passed." 301 KAR 6:030. Waterway safety requirements

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Docking or running head lights

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    I disagree, and here's why. Just applying some food for thought.

a. If you saw the white light in the fog, why did you continue at full speed toward it? Conditions of limited visibility require a skipper to slow to a speed that will allow him to see and steer clear of any other water borne object, be it a floating tree, broke down boat, or pontoon with headlights on. If you are operating your boat so fast that you can not avoid another boat, then you are in fact operating dangerously, in that particular set of circumstances.

b. Why did you get that close to another boat at night, in the fog, in the dark, anyway?

c. Do you fish the Ohio River? I do. Tugs pushing barges always have a searchlight on looking to see where the bank is, looking for other craft, and or things in the water near or in front of them. Its save navigation that is the reason they do this. Given they are allowed to operate a a ZENON 1KW searchlight (produces in excess of 80 million candle power )or a the 2.5KW (over 130 million candlepower), you want to tell me I can't run on that body of water with 500 watt headlights cause they blind you? Good luck pulling over a push boat.

d. Why single out pontoons? I've seen guide boats rocketing down the lake with headlights on, and that makes good sense to me. With the headlights on, they are more likely to see the log that threatens the safety of their craft, and they are more likely to see the poor boater whose battery died and is sitting with a dead engine in the lake with no lights on. You want to tell the guides they have to turn them off?

e. What about all the bass boats I see running with remote control searchlight on the bow that generates 5-10 million candle power? Want to tell me my 500 watt headlights (comparison something like sun light to moon light), is still a major problem to you?

f. They are HEADLIGHTS, operative word "HEAD". What part of the boat did you think they were mounted on, the stern?

g. Given he had a 5 watt stern light lit, and 500 watts on the bow, do you really want me to buy that you could not distinquish which way he was going? Di you really think he was backing up?

h. And to the guy who wrote "if you can't see in the dark, don't go or buy a spot light", I got to say don't you realize the spotlight is brighter than the dock lights? You mean a SPOT is okay, but a DOCK light is not?!?!?!?! Isn't that like saying "don't shoot me with that bee-bee gun, go get your 30-0t-six and shoot me.......gaaaaaaahhhhh?

Man, for YOUR safety, cause I love ya man, just slow down in the dark! DRIVING TOO FAST IN THE DARK, ON A BOAT, COSTS LIFES, NOT ILLUMINATION.

Last thing: "On a vessel under way between sunset and sunrise, an operator shall not display other lights which could be mistaken for the lights specified in this section." 301 KAR 6:020. Boating safety equipment.

Help me to understand how a red bow light or green bow light, or white stern light, looks like a headlight beam? They do not look anthing remotely a like, and so are not likely to be :"mistaken" for the lighting required. Want to get fussie? Take the light bulbs out of your helm tach, hour meter, kill the fish finder, and speedometer, and teh radio/cd player when you run at ngiht cause they got lights, and I might just mistake them for a red/green/or white required nav light.
    Bravo! Bravo! Very well said!

Post Thanks / Like

a spot lite is too run the banks they arent too shine in peoples face while you are moving and unlike people on pontoons with headlites most bass boats will turn them off or away from you if your going near them.
    Last edited by apb; 06-21-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: please keep it civil--apb

Post Thanks / Like

Good thoughts Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by fishdaddy View Post
    a spot lite is too run the banks they arent too shine in peoples face while you are moving and unlike people on pontoons with headlites most bass boats will turn them off or away from you if your going near them.
    Sorry, but I have been blinded by plenty of spot lights while on the lake. Many people use them while running if there is debris on the water. I've had of boats (of all makes) keep their headlights on while come straight at me.

Just takes a little common sense while on the water. If you turn a corner and are coming right at another boat, kill the spot/head lights. Same as you would your brights when in a car. And if headlights on a boat are such a bad idea, should I drive home from the lake at night without my lights on???

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

no you shouldnt because its not against the law,well ok its against the law too without them how about that

Post Thanks / Like

Bob,

Looks like someone needs to notify water patrol that you say to heck with the laws, and make sure they know when you are on the water in the evening. Then you can take your ticket, fight it in court, and see if you can get the law changed.

I agree with Crazy completely.

What really amazes me is that you and probably all those that agree with you will raise bloody heck over someone tieing up bass in a tournament, because it is cheating, but not mind a bit that you are breaking a law, which is also cheating.

I guess cheating is really a point of view. If it's you, it's OK, if not, then hang 'em.

Danny